DIY Mesh Head E-Drums

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
Greg_L

Re: DIY Mesh Head E-Drums

Post by Greg_L »

That's what's his name's kit.

Bozzio?
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Holy fuck, that's just a bit much IMO...I could play a for a whole week behind that thing & never hit all the drums/cymbals...lol...

I'm not too familiar with drummers' names like I am with guitar slingers, but I'm learning...That's probably a good thing though so I don't try to play like 'em...

I do have a few well known drummers I like...Alex Van Halen is one of 'em, I'm trying to get my ride cymbal dialed in to sound sorta like his when he does the edge/crash thing instead of using the bell/bow during certain parts...I've always thought his snare sounded great too, & is instantly recognizable...

Phil Rudd is near the top of my list too, just simple playing to fit the song...Great drummer, he's like a fuckin' human metronome...

Just checked about the pads, the guy's already shipped 'em, they should be here by the end of the week anyway...The 12" already has the mesh head on it, & I'll be able to tell how my module is gonna act with it...

I did some digging about those pads, & some have wooden shells, where some have plastic, so a piece of pvc pipe should work for what I plan on doing...I'll just have to measure & make sure the exact size, but I'm guessing they'll be whatever size the drum head is, just like the real thing...

I'm pretty stoked dudes...:minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Hahaha, I can't even imagine setting up that vast amount of kit pieces, tuning them, positioning everything...that'd take all week! He must have an army of techs that tour with him. I didn't recognize the kit, I just thought it was comically oversized.

On a related note though, I finally got my e-kit up and running last night. I tried to save space in my small room by using my office chair as a drum throne. But it sits too low, and the arms get in my way. So a drum throne will be yet another thing I'll have to squeeze into my room.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:19 pm Hahaha, I can't even imagine setting up that vast amount of kit pieces, tuning them, positioning everything...that'd take all week! He must have an army of techs that tour with him. I didn't recognize the kit, I just thought it was comically oversized.
No shit man, that's just a crazy amount of drums/cymbals/whatever...I'm assuming he (Terry Bozzio???) was the drummer who showed up to play & had drum techs/roadies to do all the work for him, if not, he's a better man than me...lol...

I gotta admit, I went pretty apeshit crazy here for a while, but noticed I can actually play better if everything isn't crammed up against each other & I have a little room to move... :lollers:

I mentioned it before but I'm gonna stick with a 6 piece kit, & probably 4 cymbals...While I do have enough rack parts to add more, it's just shit that'd be in the way more than anything...

I would like to try some of these drums/cymbals but I'll probably never get the chance because they're expeeeensive :eep: :

Jobeky Drums

Smarttrigger

Tadpui wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:19 pmOn a related note though, I finally got my e-kit up and running last night. I tried to save space in my small room by using my office chair as a drum throne. But it sits too low, and the arms get in my way. So a drum throne will be yet another thing I'll have to squeeze into my room.
Cool dude, they're a bit expensive, but I'd recommend a Roc-N-Soc throne dude...The only other throne I've used is the el cheapo that came with the DTX400, & couldn't stand sitting on it for more than an hour or so at a time, it was actually painful...The throne I use now is again, a little expensive, but it's well worth it to me, I sit on mine 4-5 hours everyday now...

I mentioned this a day or two ago, the guy I bought my used e-drum gear from has a DTXpress for $115, & a DTX502 for $165, shipped...

DrumzRUs-Store

Dunno about the DTXpress, but the DTX502 is great...Just thought I'd mention 'em to ya dude...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Drum pads arrived safe-n-sound, but I'm gonna have to buy some new L-rods to be able to use 'em...I thought I could modify the mounting brackets to fit my Yamaha, but I was wrong...No biggie, only have to wait a few days...

I will have to re-arrange my whole kit to use these pads though, they're quite a bit bigger than my Yamaha pads...I knew the 12" would be bigger, but didn't expect it to be quite this big...

The 12" Alesis pad will be my floor tom, & the 2 - 8" will be rack toms...I'm gonna find a 10" Alesis pad for my 3rd tom...I'm gonna keep using my 8" DTX pad for my snare because it's a 3-zone...It would be nice to get a 10" or 12" DTX pad like this to use for my snare, but at around $400 a pop, it probably ain't gonna happen...
Alesis 12_pad.JPG
The DTX pad on the left is the biggest Yamaha pad I have, & the 12" Alesis dwarfs it in comparison...This should make it a little easier for me to play as I'll have a bigger area to hit on each drum...

They all have a green tint to 'em because of the top layer of foam under the mesh head...I might replace that when I replace the shell, maybe...This would be only an aesthetic thing, just like putting taller shells in...

Most likely I'll wait until I get all 4 pads before I do anything to 'em, & just make one job out of it all...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Been messing with the mesh head pads, & they suck with my module the way they were when they arrived...To get 'em to trigger I had to absolutely hit 'em as hard as I could, which ain't gonna work...

So, I've been experimenting with various things...When they arrived, the piezos were sandwiched in the middle of 4 layers of foam (2 really thin & 2 about 1/2" thick)...So I took all the foam out & just stuck the piezo to the underside of the mesh head with some double sided foam tape which is much better...But without the foam the drums/pads are pretty noisy, so I put it back in, but left the piezo taped to the drum head...It's getting there, but I still need to tweak/adjust things here/there...

I'm still gonna put the taller shells on 'em, but I still have to buy the parts to do so (shells/pvc/whatever, tension rods, vinyl wrap for the shells, etc)...

More to come...:minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Sweet
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Miner, I've enjoyed watching your weird e-kit journey. I really have no idea what you're doing, but it's obvious that you are a man balls-deep into some shit! :coolstorybro: :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:23 pm Miner, I've enjoyed watching your weird e-kit journey. I really have no idea what you're doing, but it's obvious that you are a man balls-deep into some shit! :coolstorybro: :lollers2:
Thanks guys, it is weird because I never ever imagined I'd enjoy playing these things this much...I put my first e-kit in the closet for about 2 years, but now I can't imagine not playing 'em...

Whenever I get the shit to do it with, I'll make a little step by step thing with pictures to show you guys what I'm talking about...

I've went back & started reconsidering using a couple cheap toms, doing the A >E conversion thing again...I thought I had a lock on some shit I haven't bought yet, but after months of just sitting there, some of the things I was gonna buy have been sold...Go figure...

The reason I'm considering the cheap toms again is I've found a way to buy the Roland guts (basically the black plastic "basket" that sits on their drum shells) & parts that would make it a lot easier for me...The Alesis pads are ok, but they don't work as good as I'd hoped, which going the diy route will always have things like that...

Thanks again dudes, more to come...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH