Tuning Machines swap out.

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Tuning Machines swap out.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Going back to my Epiphone Mods.

I dont really need to switch the tuners out for any other reason than asthetics and because i want to. They work just fine for what they need to do. But this guit is now my project guit. It is getting a facelift and guts transplant.

What kind of things do i need to be mindful of? Any brand or style better than another? Im familiar with grover but are there other options i can consider? Make sure all the pegs amd holes fit each other nicely?

I like the keystone style heads on an lp quite a bit so ill go with that "look". Id like it to feel smooth and solid when tuning.

Outside of those requirements i dont know what i might be overlooking?

Guide me rebels.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Re: Tuning Machines swap out.

Post by Greg_L »

What tuners do you have on it now?
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

if the new tuners need a larger hole get a reamer and do NOT try to use a drill
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:20 am What tuners do you have on it now?
What ever came stock on it in 2004. Chrome looking things. Im not currently home but ill check tomorrow night amd follow up. Again though, they dont really need to be changed out. This is all just a learning / upgrade for the sake of upgrades.
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:22 am if the new tuners need a larger hole get a reamer and do NOT try to use a drill
Noted. Ideally id like to avoid that entirely. If a straight swap out isn't possible ill just leave these ones on. No biggie.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:01 am

What ever came stock on it in 2004. Chrome looking things. Im not currently home but ill check tomorrow night amd follow up. Again though, they dont really need to be changed out. This is all just a learning / upgrade for the sake of upgrades.

You probably have Grovers...or the Epiphone Grover knock-offs. Most Epis and Gibsons come with Grovers or Klusons. Check em and see.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Some of the epiphone stuff have the top screw buttons. If you have them you can just swap out the buttons for what you are after. Other ways that you can mod without changing the post hole involes changing the post and gears. That is a little more involved but reversible. It all depends what you have on there now. Pic would be good.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

One thing that does come to mind... My LPC has 14:1 tuning ratio. My Strat has 18:1 ratio. 18:1 seems to be more accurate so I would recommend 18:1 if possible.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:07 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:01 am

You probably have Grovers...or the Epiphone Grover knock-offs. Most Epis and Gibsons come with Grovers or Klusons. Check em and see.
Yup. Bingo. They are Grovers. Or the knock offs. Either way thats what they are. They feel kind of plasticy and cheap. But to be expected on a MiC Epi. I think this will be a fun project guit. It feels great.