Pick Up Swaps.

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
muttley

Re: Pick Up Swaps.

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:04 pm I didn't know that about the Epi/Gibson trim parts being different. Better look into that.
Epi's are a bit of a lottery for drop in parts. Some are OK other years and models not so much.... There isnt an easy way to tell either. Fender Squire/mexi/jap/et al are much the same, you need to check the part dimensions carefully.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:04 pm I didn't know that about the Epi/Gibson trim parts being different. Better look into that.
Many a poor slob found out the hard way. Bought expensive "Genuine Gibson" replacement parts only to find out they don't fit.

My theory is its partly on purpose to encourage those that want a 'real' Gibson to buy one rather than just 'upgrade' the Epi.

The hardware is metric, and the plastics are just, well, goofy. Tuners are usually a direct fit replacement with good stuff.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Roman wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Many a poor slob found out the hard way. Bought expensive "Genuine Gibson" replacement parts only to find out they don't fit.

My theory is its partly on purpose to encourage those that want a 'real' Gibson to buy one rather than just 'upgrade' the Epi.

The hardware is metric, and the plastics are just, well, goofy. Tuners are usually a direct fit replacement with good stuff.
I know you have to ream the control cavity holes to put real CTS pots into an Epi, but I've never messed with the pickup trims. A pickup will swap in no problem, but the rings....I had no idea.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Roman wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:28 pm
The epi plastics, as well as the bridge and T/P, are completely different from it's made in USA counterpart.
hell .... they can be different from other epis of the same model depending on which Chinese or Korean factory got the contract.
7String

Post by 7String »

Don't mean to resurrect an old thread but I just found these and I'm putting them in my Epi Les Paul. Humbuckers Series, Humbuckers Parallel, P-90 and Rail all in one pickup.