My first guitar - found! Gonna paint it.

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
Roman

Re: My first guitar - found! Gonna paint it.

Post by Roman »

You go, girl!

Uh, I mean you go, Greg !
:D
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg, have you got some sort of asbestos coated guitar?

Don't paint that. Looks cool as it is. stick a humbucker in it and you're good to go.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

That thing is grotesque, Greg! Should be good practice for painting, though, :biggrin:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:34 am Greg, have you got some sort of asbestos coated guitar?

Don't paint that. Looks cool as it is. stick a humbucker in it and you're good to go.
I'm not sticking a fucking humbucker in it. Lol.
Bubba wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:51 am That thing is grotesque, Greg! Should be good practice for painting, though, :biggrin:
I hope!
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

I'm thinking if this thing isn't "wood" then painting it will work, but it's not as true a test (or practice) for the real thing. I guess you could try painting it anyway to practice. I'm kinda wondering if Chibsons are like this....
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ido1957 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:02 am I'm thinking if this thing isn't "wood" then painting it will work, but it's not as true a test (or practice) for the real thing. I guess you could try painting it anyway to practice. I'm kinda wondering if Chibsons are like this....
Chibsons are usually sort of like this. Except they are at least real wood. They're not some weird ply with a mystery coating. They're solid wood with a very thin wood, or wood looking veneer.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

It looks like skateboard ply haha. Thats pretty cool.

Would it be melamine? or that weird shit they make hockey rink walls out of?
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:34 pm It looks like skateboard ply haha. Thats pretty cool.

Would it be melamine? or that weird shit they make hockey rink walls out of?
Yeah like I know anything about hockey rinks. It' 85 degrees today down here in February. :lollers2:

But anyway, it could be melamine I suppose. Seems kind of flaky and thin for melamine, but fuck if I know.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:12 am I'm not sticking a fucking humbucker in it. Lol.
https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/p ... kup=warpig
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:35 pm
Roman wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:32 pm Horrendous, and I mean that in a good way. :D
Lol yeah! You got an idea what that veneer could be?
In the past on cheap painted up guitars the crafty fuckers have used all sorts of stuff to get a quick and flat base for painting over. Most common would be car body filler type epoxy, regular casting epoxy, plain old epoxy and on some of the better ones a veneer backer which is a phenolic based paper sheeting used in the veneer trade to stabalise panels without using decent veneer on the back... I suspect that maybe what you have.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:16 pm

In the past on cheap painted up guitars the crafty fuckers have used all sorts of stuff to get a quick and flat base for painting over. Most common would be car body filler type epoxy, regular casting epoxy, plain old epoxy and on some of the better ones a veneer backer which is a phenolic based paper sheeting used in the veneer trade to stabalise panels without using decent veneer on the back... I suspect that maybe what you have.
Yeah, that is what it seems like. Smooth, flat, almost like a plastic.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

I recon it's a veneer backer then. They come in various thickenesses and are used to balance the grain of the veneer on the face side of panels. Basically they are a paper composite that has a lot of strength and resists the pull of wood grain. You can normally sand it OK and it takes all normal paint so you will be OK is if stays there. You can fill right up to it with body filler and go right over that if you need to. It's dimensionally very stable.