My first guitar - found! Gonna paint it.

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
Roman

Re: My first guitar - found! Gonna paint it.

Post by Roman »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:35 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:29 pm back on topic, though, where are you getting your supplies? Are you getting it from stewmac ?
No, so far all local, but besides the grain filler none of this will be used on the SG. This is just test stuff.

I still need to get some clearcoat and superfine sandpaper. Auto parts stores will have that.

I'm planning on ordering the white paint and clearcoat for the SG from Guitar Reranch. Or possibly I might use auto paint.
Get it from guitar re-ranch. Its good stuff and is genuine nitrocellulose. Meaning it will dry fast and when fully cured will be hard. In a colder climate it will weather check, but you won't have those issues

Automotive paints , the touch up colors, that you get at the auto parts shops are almost always acrylic and have plasticizers in them. Stays rubbery.
On the neck it will manifest itself as being 'sticky'. Like almost forever.

Go with the good shit.

Ps. With the white, no need for clearcoat. It will buff out just fine and look good. The clearcoat just adds more room for error, as in particles caught between the base coat and clear. It will piss you off when that happens.
No clearcoat, no problems.
Now, if you want it to yellow as it ages, in that case you need the clearcoat.
Your choice. :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Roman wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:15 am
Get it from guitar re-ranch. Its good stuff and is genuine nitrocellulose. Meaning it will dry fast and when fully cured will be hard. In a colder climate it will weather check, but you won't have those issues

Automotive paints , the touch up colors, that you get at the auto parts shops are almost always acrylic and have plasticizers in them. Stays rubbery.
On the neck it will manifest itself as being 'sticky'. Like almost forever.

Go with the good shit.

Ps. With the white, no need for clearcoat. It will buff out just fine and look good. The clearcoat just adds more room for error, as in particles caught between the base coat and clear. It will piss you off when that happens.
No clearcoat, no problems.
Now, if you want it to yellow as it ages, in that case you need the clearcoat.
Your choice. :D
The reason why I even considered auto paint is that I used to know a guy that painted guitars with car paint and they always came out great. He had all the gear though. He painted cars for a living. But his guitar paintings were beautiful. I remember this one candy blue Strat body he did. Man, that thing looked like you could swim in it.

Anyway, I don't have that skill set. The Reranch stuff (we talked about this before) Is what I'm gonna go with. I wanted to do it last year but I procrastinated and the Texas summer caught up to me so I didn't bother. I do want a white that can naturally yellow as it ages. I love that aged white look, but I don't wanna paint it that color right off the bat. I'd like it go naturally if possible.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Oddly enough, and in tandem with Greg, I'm more a supporter of feminism than my wife. She blames feminism for her having had to work at home AND in a career.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:25 am Oddly enough, and in tandem with Greg, I'm more a supporter of feminism than my wife. She blames feminism for her having had to work at home AND in a career.
Lol. The ol Catch 22. That's kind of how I see it too. My wonderful wife works in the oil and gas industry. Translation - she works smack in the middle of the last real American good ol boy network. The higher she goes though, the thicker the good ol boy network gets. It doesn't really bother her too much because she sees it as winning, and she's right, but to hear her stories I want to bludgeon these old dudes with a crankshaft. And having daughters, I'd like for them to be treated fairly based on their merits and not based on boobs or that they pee sitting down. Maybe for me it's not so much "feminism" as it is just being protective of my family, but I think all women could and should be treated better in today's world. On the flip side though, I think the current trendy version of "feminism" is shooting itself in the foot. All these marches and anger are just gonna make whatever's left of the patriarchy hunker down and get defensive. A violent feminist coup will not work. They need to slowly win from within.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:51 am
rayc wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:25 am Oddly enough, and in tandem with Greg, I'm more a supporter of feminism than my wife. She blames feminism for her having had to work at home AND in a career.
Lol. The ol Catch 22. That's kind of how I see it too. My wonderful wife works in the oil and gas industry. Translation - she works smack in the middle of the last real American good ol boy network. The higher she goes though, the thicker the good ol boy network gets. It doesn't really bother her too much because she sees it as winning, and she's right, but to hear her stories I want to bludgeon these old dudes with a crankshaft. And having daughters, I'd like for them to be treated fairly based on their merits and not based on boobs or that they pee sitting down. Maybe for me it's not so much "feminism" as it is just being protective of my family, but I think all women could and should be treated better in today's world. On the flip side though, I think the current trendy version of "feminism" is shooting itself in the foot. All these marches and anger are just gonna make whatever's left of the patriarchy hunker down and get defensive. A violent feminist coup will not work. They need to slowly win from within.
All of the most successful societies (not necessarily the richest, but happiest when measured in a number of ways) are the societies where women have the highest levels of equality.
rayc

Post by rayc »

It's a similar thing with me & mine. Kim was a trade union official, fearless and non factional. The feminists insisted she be with them, the other factional groups, (men), tried to woo her to their various causes. She kept insisting there should be no factional, and no sub, cause - that teachers and kids were the reason for her & them being there. Both sides tried to freezer her out so she went back to schools as a craft teacher, retrained as a teacher librarian and enjoyed the world of providing equal opportunity and equality of outcomes for kids. Hillary certainly found out just how hard the patriarchy could hunker down and build bunkers and it's only become worse since then with the protests. Counter productive indeed. Besides that she plays guitar very well, can transpose brilliantly and given a couple of minutes will work out almost any song on piano. She's dangerous AND won't let me hum, let alone sing, around the house.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:29 am Besides that she plays guitar very well, can transpose brilliantly and given a couple of minutes will work out almost any song on piano. She's dangerous AND won't let me hum, let alone sing, around the house.
Why is she never on your songs?

My wife plays sax and piano and I've had her on a few tunes.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

She sang on my Gimli's Lament [BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaE4CDkLNO0[/BBvideo] but she, generally, doesn't like my music. She majored in music/performance at teachers college.
I could/should ask her questions about musical stuff but, despite being a great teacher/librarian, when it comes to music she can't understand why I don't hear/understand automatically so hasn't the patience to teach me. I do have a promise that she'll do the vocal on Alice for me - that promise is about 4 years old though.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. This fucking guitar....

The paint stripped cleanly off the back. The front....I'm still working on it. What's weird is the sides won't strip at all. There's a weird veneer on this thing and the paint for some reason is really stuck to the sides.

Pics to come.
Rebel Yell
Roman

Post by Roman »

Endgrain on the plywood layers sucks that shit up.

You using aircraft stripper? The Gel? Leave it on thick and for a long time.

Besides if you're doing solid colors it doesn't have to come completely off. Youll just have to fill up the grain again anyway.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Roman wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:25 pm Endgrain on the plywood layers sucks that shit up.

You using aircraft stripper? The Gel? Leave it on thick and for a long time.
It's the gel but in an aerosol can. It works good on the veneer. I haven't really gone to work on the sides yet. The paint came right off of the veneer, it didn't even dent the sides yet.
Rebel Yell
Roman

Post by Roman »

Best stuff is the brush on type, you can get it on thick.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Roman wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:50 pm Best stuff is the brush on type, you can get it on thick.
That's what I use on cars. Works awesome....and eats through brushes....and burns the shit out of skin. I don't have any here so I used the spray on kind.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Ok, update on this piece of shit. I don't know wtf this junk guitar is made of, but it aint real wood. Lol. It appears to be some kind of ply, like Roman mentioned, and some kind of weird counter top-like veneer that is definitely not wood. It sands like fiberglass!

So what I've done is stripped it down mostly, and gave it a quick sand with 220 on a DA sander. The paint is very very stubborn, so I need to keep going. But the "wood" parts are extremely smooth, even for 220. It's like glass. seriously. I don't know wtf this shit is. Grain filler will be unnecessary since there is no fucking grain at all.

These show the weird ply body and weirder mystery layer of whatever the fuck it is.

Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

That is some weird shit. No grain = plastic???
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Horrendous, and I mean that in a good way. :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ido1957 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:28 pm That is some weird shit. No grain = plastic???
Yeah dude I don't know wtf is veneered on the top and back of this guitar. You can see in the close-up I kind of sanded through the edges and they started flaking away. No idea what it is. I didn't leave sawdust. It sanded into a powder like fiberglass. God only knows what kind of lung-AIDS I just gave myself. :crazy:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Roman wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:32 pm Horrendous, and I mean that in a good way. :D
Lol yeah! You got an idea what that veneer could be?
Rebel Yell
Roman

Post by Roman »

Hard to tell on a cellphone, but it was/is quite common to have a "grain less" veneer on top of the ply. It disguises the shitiness of the plywood or multi-laminations on cheaper guitars and makes it easier to do a smooth looking finish. Currently a lot of LP copies such as epiphone and other chinese guitars do it.
You'll look at the back and get fooled into thinking it's a solid one piece body, but its just a veneer. A close look at the cross section of the butt tells the true tale.

Yours "may" be birch, but I'm not sure.

Edit:

Just read your whole description on the "veneer". Who knows what it is. Quick! Send the dust to a lab. :D

I know in that time period fullerplast was common. I don't know the make up of it, but it's more of a resin like they use on surfboards. For all we know that could be a resin impregnated paper.
Again, I'm just guessing and reaching for straws.

Either way, its fucking ugly. :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

You know, it is kind of like resin impregnated paper. It's thin, but it's very hard and very smooth.

In any case, this test project is looking like it might be kind of a bust. At the very least I'll get whatever it's made of nice and smooth and get some Mardi Gras paint on it. Then I'll clear and buff it. So at least that part of the practice might have some benefit.
Rebel Yell