My first guitar - found! Gonna paint it.

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
JD01

Re: My first guitar - found! Gonna paint it.

Post by JD01 »

I would not have the balls to fuck about with a 600 or 700 quid guitar like that!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:06 pm I would not have the balls to fuck about with a 600 or 700 quid guitar like that!
It's not some special SG or anything. I got it for cheap ($300) and I've already got one P-90 in it. I'll put another in the neck, and paint it like slightly "aged" off-white/cream. It'll look cool....if I do it well. :crazy:

Also, this is just something I'm kicking around, I might put a nicer looking headstock veneer on it.
http://www.croxguitars.com/SGlargedimensions.htm
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

One thing that I've learned from my researches is to not expect a perfect finish straight from the gun. Orange peel and other defects have to be removed by block sanding from 600 to 1200 grit, then polishing compound. There's no reason why you shouldn't make a great job of this :)
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:21 pm One thing that I've learned from my researches is to not expect a perfect finish straight from the gun. Orange peel and other defects have to be removed by block sanding from 600 to 1200 grit, then polishing compound. There's no reason why you shouldn't make a great job of this :)
Right. I've painted enough car parts to know I need to sand and buff and shit. My plan is to go slow and steady. I'm gonna take the SG down to bare wood, grain fill, sand, prime, sand, paint, paint, paint, sand, paint, paint, paint, sand, paint, paint, sand, clear, clear, clear, clear, clear, buff and polish.

I have this white electric piano upstairs that has a thick, deep, shiny white finish, and that's my inspiration.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

The headstock on the Sears looks like the headstock on my Guyatone Mosrite copy. Big & LOOOONG.
guyatone mosrite copyb.jpg
A learning curve is a great use for the old thing.
Microphonic pups - they'd be considered a) vintage and b) cool by now - you could claim Ry Cooder's kid plays one or something.
My 1st instrument was '74 and an EB copy - so SG shape & cream - basically what you're going for.
Mine was borrowed & not returned. I found one on Ebay that was the same colour & model a couple of years ago & I had a deep desire to buy it but they wanted 3 times what I'd paid originally and it was in bad condition so I passed. I still look for it though.
I look forward to following this thread - I'm in awe of the patience of you folk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

What's with Jap guitars and giant headstocks? I think maybe they're compensating for a certain japanese male stereotype.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

By the way, I've done nothing with this yet. I looked at some paint/DIY stores and found none of the supplies I'd want to re-finish a guitar.

One guy told me to use a brush. I don't think he understood what guitar finishes actually look like.
Rebel Yell
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:02 pm
Bubba wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:18 pm Wow. That is one seriously horrible instrument. :lollers:

Didn't you have a silverburst SG? What happened to that?
That's the one that's gonna get painted.

I'm hoping to go from this:
Man, I though you liked the silverburst. The white looks awesome though. Especially with the black P90's. I really to get a guitar with P90's. I still have my first axe. A 1981 G&L SC-2 that I bought in around '84 for $150 with an amp (don't remember what it was but it was horrible and died a horrific death soon after). It's been autographed Martin Barre (from Jethro Tull, but that wore off years ago), Paul Barrere, Kenny Gradney, Fred Tackett, Bill Payne and Richie Haywrd (members of Little Feat), Leon Russell, Tab Benoit, Anders Osbourne, Eric Lindell, Aaron Wilkenson, Chris Mule, Billy Iuso (all of these guys are New Orleans musicians), Robert Randolph.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bill L wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:59 am
Man, I though you liked the silverburst. The white looks awesome though. Especially with the black P90's. I really to get a guitar with P90's.
I do like the silverburst, but mostly on the Les Pauls. It just does't have the same pizazz on an SG. And my silverburst SG is a Special, so it's got no fanciness to it. Satin finish, no neck binding, very basic. It'll look way better as a white/black SG Special.....if I don't fuck it up. :happytrees:
I still have my first axe. A 1981 G&L SC-2 that I bought in around '84 for $150 with an amp (don't remember what it was but it was horrible and died a horrific death soon after). It's been autographed Martin Barre (from Jethro Tull, but that wore off years ago), Paul Barrere, Kenny Gradney, Fred Tackett, Bill Payne and Richie Haywrd (members of Little Feat), Leon Russell, Tab Benoit, Anders Osbourne, Eric Lindell, Aaron Wilkenson, Chris Mule, Billy Iuso (all of these guys are New Orleans musicians), Robert Randolph.
I don't know who those guy are, but that's pretty cool that you do and got them to sign a guitar. I like the shape of that guitar. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minor update:

I'm finally gonna get to this cheapo guitar body today. Got my stripper (paint stripper) and we'll see what's under the plastic-coat and tree paint on this thing.

Also got two kinds of grain filler. Gonna try both and see which one I like. I have a scrap of mahogany somewhere, and that's what I really need to test the grain filler on.

Double also, it's Mardi Gras season and I found my wife's spray paints. She has purple, gold, and green. So this Sears Harmony test mule will become Mardi Gras burst! :D
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Purple and green are the international colours of the feminism movement. Your missus will be proud of you!
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:44 pm Purple and green are the international colours of the feminism movement. Your missus will be proud of you!
That's funny cuz I'm actually more sensitive to feminist causes than she is! :murcah:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Hold up...I support equality for women. Not weirdo grown men with neckbeards playing with little girl toys.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

And yet, here we are. :lollers: :lollers:

I am facepalming as hard as anyone after reading that. I didn't intentionally mean to derail your thread. I saw that yesterday and felt that i should share it. for some reason.

I'll crawl back under my rock now. :happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

back on topic, though, where are you getting your supplies? Are you getting it from stewmac ?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:29 pm back on topic, though, where are you getting your supplies? Are you getting it from stewmac ?
No, so far all local, but besides the grain filler none of this will be used on the SG. This is just test stuff.

I still need to get some clearcoat and superfine sandpaper. Auto parts stores will have that.

I'm planning on ordering the white paint and clearcoat for the SG from Guitar Reranch. Or possibly I might use auto paint.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:28 pm And yet, here we are. :lollers: :lollers:

I am facepalming as hard as anyone after reading that. I didn't intentionally mean to derail your thread. I saw that yesterday and felt that i should share it. for some reason.

I'll crawl back under my rock now. :happytrees:
Lol. Do you play with little horsies?
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

They are called ponies. Greg. Ponies.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:13 am They are called ponies. Greg. Ponies.
I like the ponies. I like to bet on them.
Rebel Yell