Loaded Pickguards

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
JD01

Loaded Pickguards

Post by JD01 »

I saw a video recently where I guy was modding Fenders and he was just buying pickguards with all the bits already in place and ready to go so all he had to do was solder in the jack and ground. Do you know where you could get these from so I could do a bit of research.

I imagine they must be slightly poorer value than just buying the bits and doing it yourself, but I'm both crap at soldering and lazy. Just thought I would upgrade all the internals from my Squire Jazz Bass to Fender parts.
Greg_L

Re: Loaded Pickguards

Post by Greg_L »

That "method" has been around forever. Most of the pickup companies have their own versions. Just Google "loaded pickguard" and you'll probably get like 10 billion results.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers, had no idea that it would be that simple!

https://stratosphereparts.com/fender-st ... tar-parts/

I thought it was something new and clever.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:58 am

Lol, no it is definitely not either of those. If I remember correctly, they really got popular in the mid 80s with everyone trying to turn a regular Strat into Super Strats.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:03 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:58 am

Lol, no it is definitely not either of those. If I remember correctly, they really got popular in the mid 80s with everyone trying to turn a regular Strat into Super Strats.
Yeah, not surprising - I just figured it would be a cheap, easy way of upgrading my bass, which is actually really nice to play and don't think I'll need to replace any time soon unless I use it live which I hope to avoid.

A lot of the companies appear to be US based ones like these guys:
http://stores.ebay.com/The-STRATosphere ... +Jazz+Bass
I'm sure there'll be a UK supplier somewhere though. EDIT: Bit harder to find in the UK.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:07 am
Yeah, not surprising - I just figured it would be a cheap, easy way of upgrading my bass, which is actually really nice to play and don't think I'll need to replace any time soon unless I use it live which I hope to avoid.

I'm sure there'll be a UK supplier somewhere though.
The Stratosphere is good. Guitar Fetish has them too. Pretty much any site that sells pickups and/or guitar parts probably has loaded pickguards.

You can probably get one right through Andertons or whatever yall use in the UK.

I don't think it's going to make too much of a difference for you though. Pickups matter of course, but when recording direct bass, I don't think they matter that much.
Last edited by Greg_L on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:16 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:07 am

I'm sure there'll be a UK supplier somewhere though.
The Stratosphere is good. Guitar Fetish has them too. Pretty much any site that sells pickups and/or guitar parts probably has loaded pickguards.

You can probably get one right through Andertons or whatever yall use in the UK.

I don't think it's going to make too much of a difference for you though. Pickups matter of course, but when recording direct bass, I don't they don't matter that much.
Fair enough - I'll take a look, see what's available and see if its worth the money. I have access to a friend of mines USA Fender Jazz Basses which I could try recording with and seeing if there's any significant different in noise etc. His are all 5 string but I don't suppose that will matter too much - the B string is a thumb rest to me!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol my typing is horrendous this morning. Anyway yeah give it a try. You might like it.

You might also consider an active pickup. For DI bass, actives are good. That's probably about all they're good for.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:29 am Lol my typing is horrendous this morning. Anyway yeah give it a try. You might like it.

You might also consider an active pickup. For DI bass, actives are good. That's probably about all they're good for.
haha, I knew what you meant.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I saw on instagram the other day that fuller guitars in houston had a loaded tele control plate with a pretty sizeable cap on it. I thought it was cool but also maybe a bit weird.

That is all i have to offer right now. I'll see myself out.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:31 pm I saw on instagram the other day that fuller guitars in houston had a loaded tele control plate with a pretty sizeable cap on it. I thought it was cool but also maybe a bit weird.

That is all i have to offer right now. I'll see myself out.
I don't know about all that, but I do love going to Fullers guitar.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD let me know what you want. I may have a bunch of stuff kicking around in my swap out box. Loading pickguards is easy but make sure you get the right mounting hole set. Not all are equal even on year brand location... I may also be able to source4 parts a lot cheaper than you if you need.