LP Jnr build : Preamble.

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: LP Jnr build : Preamble.

Post by Greg_L »

Do the Gretsch!
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

A combination of Washburn Falcon and a symmetrical, non-pointy, version of a PRS!
muttley

Post by muttley »

Sorry JD, I'm gonna go with something along the lines of the Gretsch. I just cant get into the Washburn Its too narrow for me and I cant get a buzz for the straight line edges on that..

What colour are we going to do the body? That may influence how I size and design the headstock...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:03 am Sorry JD, I'm gonna go with something along the lines of the Gretsch. I just cant get into the Washburn Its too narrow for me and I cant get a buzz for the straight line edges on that..

What colour are we going to do the body? That may influence how I size and design the headstock...
Are you staining it or painting it?

The Gretsch headstock is fine providing its not dressed up like Elvis's jock-strap.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Can do either but staining would be strictly dark cherry red on a Jnr for me..

Paint job can be anything within reason. Its a Jnr FFS...:)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

In that case I'd go for a kind of faded white, yellow or blue. Just a simple colour, but not any variation of red.

Something that looks really trashy like an old dodgem would be cool too. Like a glittery purple or something.
muttley

Post by muttley »

These would be the staining or paintjob options..

First one is the classic cherry red.

A typical Jnr colour would be something like the blue... I hate TV yellow (reminds me of puck custard).. I think it was called the "Pelham Blue"

Other colours are available.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah - that's kind of the blue I had in mind - never seen that on a double-cut.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:30 am Yeah - that's kind of the blue I had in mind - never seen that on a double-cut.
Most Jnr's were either TV yellow, Burst TV yellow, white or the wine red. Smaller numbers were done in pelham blue and black (same as Fenders Lake Placid). Double cuts didnt start till 58 so they had a four year wait, consequently there were less of them around when the original colours were done. The colour line was revamped shortly after... Most of the odd colour originals were custom shop, I think the blue was too...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Any solid color is fine with me. No bursts or stains.

Do a Goldtop Jr. That would be sweet as fuck.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

See to me a Gold top Jnr would be the very last finish I'd want. Same as a TV yellow Custom... to me that just aint right
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lets just assume that it will be some shade of a typical solid colour for now. That will dictate a solid colour fade on the heel and headstock and pretty much push me towards a black or matching headstock colour. I will allow that to dictate how I design the Gretsch style...

I have pretty much decided that I want this to be a two pup guitar and prolly humbuckers as I will be using it for testing various winds out.. Push/pull on the pots obviously rather than add a toggle. Thoughts?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:43 pm See to me a Gold top Jnr would be the very last finish I'd want. Same as a TV yellow Custom... to me that just aint right
Fair enough. I've never seen a Goldtop Jr. I thought it'd be interesting. But you're right, a TV Yellow Custom would be stupid. :lollers2:
muttley wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:57 pm Lets just assume that it will be some shade of a typical solid colour for now. That will dictate a solid colour fade on the heel and headstock and pretty much push me towards a black or matching headstock colour. I will allow that to dictate how I design the Gretsch style...

I have pretty much decided that I want this to be a two pup guitar and prolly humbuckers as I will be using it for testing various winds out.. Push/pull on the pots obviously rather than add a toggle. Thoughts?
Yes, definitely push/pull, or push/push pots. No ugly extra toggles.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:57 pm Lets just assume that it will be some shade of a typical solid colour for now. That will dictate a solid colour fade on the heel and headstock and pretty much push me towards a black or matching headstock colour. I will allow that to dictate how I design the Gretsch style...

I think a gold-top is a pretty hideous idea on a jr too. Its always been my least favourite of the traditional LP tops but it looks alright on a trad. LP. I like the idea of the Pelham blue top.

Push pull? for pickup selection? That's a bit weird. I'd prefer a normal LP type toggle with a push pull on the tone for coil split. I'd prefer a two knob set up (master volume and tone) than separate pickups
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:04 pm

I think a gold-top is a pretty hideous idea on a jr too. Its always been my least favourite of the traditional LP tops but it looks alright on a trad. LP. I like the idea of the Pelham blue top.

Push pull? for pickup selection? That's a bit weird. I'd prefer a normal LP type toggle with a push pull on the tone for coil split. I'd prefer a two knob set up (master volume and tone) than separate pickups
With a couple of push/pull/push pots you have just about every option you want on a two pup guitar. The rest is just where you point your wires. I prefer a toggle for some live work cos I'm used to them but I doubt this will get gigged by me...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:08 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:04 pm

With a couple of push/pull/push pots you have just about every option you want on a two pup guitar. The rest is just where you point your wires. I prefer a toggle for some live work cos I'm used to them but I doubt this will get gigged by me...
Cool, my preference would be the same controls as my current custom - which is copied from my Fender FMT Telecaster.
1 master vol
1 master tone
3 way pickup selector
Push/Pull on the tone pot for split coils.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I misread your intentions. I thought you meant add a toggle for split coils.

If it's gonna be a humbucking Special (two pickups) just do it like a normal 4-knob with a selector toggle and push/pulls for the coil splits. That way you can work the guitar with all of the blends and options like any other Les Paul.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

OK, here's the final Spec laid out. This is a little ahead of the video build but I need to get a feel for where I'm going because the rest of the build is in the detail not just straight ahed wood cutting.

Two MuttBuckers interchangable and direct mounted or more likely via a pickguard
Nashville stop and bridge
Hatbox push/pull/push.
Scratchplate TBC

The pickup routes will be cut on the neck angle to sit paralell to the string line. Currently the top of fret string line gives a bridge hieght of 15mm which is perfect.

Any ideas for pickguard colour, shape? This has to go on the back bench for a few weeks as I have other things to get out the shop but I'm prolly gonna have time to do some work on pickups and pickguard.
fittings.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:31 pm I misread your intentions. I thought you meant add a toggle for split coils.

If it's gonna be a humbucking Special (two pickups) just do it like a normal 4-knob with a selector toggle and push/pulls for the coil splits. That way you can work the guitar with all of the blends and options like any other Les Paul.
I considered that but dont want a four knob look or feel. This is prolly gonna be broken down quite often as I test various pups so I want as little else on the thing. TBH I'd rather go back to single pup than a four knob setup.. I really dont like them or need it on this. I did consider doing everything mounted on a pickguard but that was too Fender for me... I'm gonna give it some more thought before committing, prolly mock up a pickguard and see how she looks and whether I can get an option to drop a p90 in if I can interchange scratchplates... This thing will most likely end up living on the work bench so my compromise is about it being flexible for testing stuff..
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

How are you going to select, split, and tone control two humbuckers with only two knobs and no switch?

The 4-knob is the most flexible option there is, no?
Rebel Yell