I dispute the idea that tele's are not versatile (with audio)

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
muttley

Re: I dispute the idea that tele's are not versatile (with audio)

Post by muttley »

rammer24 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:35 pm Once you put amp sims into the equation, I think what guitar/pick-ups you have become less important than with a real amp. I think amp sims make any guitar versatile.
I'm afraid I'm old skool. I dont even use effects on a live gig. Purely rely on the guitar and the amp.. I may use a little reverb from the spring line depending on where and what I'm playing. I like to hear the guitar. YMMV of course and there are many fine guitar players that dial in all sorts of tones at the flick of a switch. I prefer to keep it simple. Less to worry about.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:33 pm

What I do know is that from the four (possibly five if you count the one nobody likes) stock strat tones.. most here would be able to identify them immediately. Even when you play with the amp settings they still sound like variations of the same. Not so with Tele tones. Pretty much every one here would be able to tell a strat in a mix right off the bat. Not so a Tele. Many people are still astounded that they find out that many and varied recorded tones they have been brought up on are in fact Telecasters... Part of it is the pickups and part of it is where they are in relation to each other. Three pup guitars have the things too close together. Give me a telecaster any day. You can drastically dial in a range of tones on a tele with a decent amp. More so than a strat. I have both and have used both in many situations from thrash covers to blue note. The tele is a particularly good blue note guitar BTW. It has bite that the strat doesnt, it has depth that the strat doesnt. It has warmth that the strat doesnt. Not that you'd care about that..;)

Any way I'm sounding like Miro now so Im off to play my gig tonight.. :guitarhero:
None of that makes a Tele more versatile than a Strat. That just makes the Tele your personal preference.

Personal preference aside, again, the Strat has way more features and options. That's not even debatable. Anyone that has any familiarity with both guitars knows that the Strat does more stuff. That inherently makes it more versatile. Whether you like or choose to use that versatility or not is irrelevant. I don't like either guitar, but I know a Strat is more versatile than a Tele.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:40 pm

I'm afraid I'm old skool. I dont even use effects on a live gig. Purely rely on the guitar and the amp.. I may use a little reverb from the spring line depending on where and what I'm playing. I like to hear the guitar. YMMV of course and there are many fine guitar players that dial in all sorts of tones at the flick of a switch. I prefer to keep it simple. Less to worry about.
I'm 100% with you there. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:51 pm
muttley wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:33 pm

What I do know is that from the four (possibly five if you count the one nobody likes) stock strat tones.. most here would be able to identify them immediately. Even when you play with the amp settings they still sound like variations of the same. Not so with Tele tones. Pretty much every one here would be able to tell a strat in a mix right off the bat. Not so a Tele. Many people are still astounded that they find out that many and varied recorded tones they have been brought up on are in fact Telecasters... Part of it is the pickups and part of it is where they are in relation to each other. Three pup guitars have the things too close together. Give me a telecaster any day. You can drastically dial in a range of tones on a tele with a decent amp. More so than a strat. I have both and have used both in many situations from thrash covers to blue note. The tele is a particularly good blue note guitar BTW. It has bite that the strat doesnt, it has depth that the strat doesnt. It has warmth that the strat doesnt. Not that you'd care about that..;)

Any way I'm sounding like Miro now so Im off to play my gig tonight.. :guitarhero:
None of that makes a Tele more versatile than a Strat. That just makes the Tele your personal preference.

Personal preference aside, again, the Strat has way more features and options. That's not even debatable. Anyone that has any familiarity with both guitars knows that the Strat does more stuff. That inherently makes it more versatile. Whether you like or choose to use that versatility or not is irrelevant. I don't like either guitar, but I know a Strat is more versatile than a Tele.
Thats the whole point. ALL strat tones are "samey". It's a bit like processed cheese. you can change the label, brand or colour but its still processed cheese, it still tastes like processed cheese. It tastes the same. A tele is more like Chedder. You get more flavour more variety and it has more depth of character. A strat is "Budweiser", whether it's in a bottle or a can or called LITE... Its Bud... End of. A Tele is Brewery all on it's own...:)

Just cos it has a redundant pickup stuck in the middle doesnt make it better. In fact for me, it makes it worse.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:52 pm

I'm 100% with you there. :coolstorybro:
Thats cos we dont give a fuck about anything but the gig and we have faith in our chops... and are out to have a blast not impress. :coolstorybro:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Any way. Gotta go. I have a trio gig in the local pub tonight and I'm being driven for a change. I think I may have a beer or two...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:00 pm

Just cos it has a redundant pickup stuck in the middle doesnt make it better. In fact for me, it makes it worse.
Right. For you. But that's not objective. I'm not talking about personal preference or which is better or worse.

Objectively speaking, a Strat can't not be more versatile than a Tele. A Strat has more features and controls. That makes it more versatile. I like a Les Paul Jr with a single P-90 better than any Fender, but I know it's not versatile. I'd never claim that it was.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:03 pm Any way. Gotta go. I have a trio gig in the local pub tonight and I'm being driven for a change. I think I may have a beer or two...
Awesome. Have a good show! :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

this has got to be the best debate i have ever read on the Internets ever. hands down. :sherlock: :sherlock: :sherlock: :happytrees:
:happytrees:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

rammer24 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:35 pm Once you put amp sims into the equation, I think what guitar/pick-ups you have become less important than with a real amp. I think amp sims make any guitar versatile.
No, I'm with you, too. I only started using a sim a few months ago because I gave up on my modelling amp (Which is pretty much a sim, too). I'm going to buy a real amp again eventually. I was just throwing the sims into the equation because I think they make the type of guitar being plugged into them less important.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

And I started all this with my incorrect use of the word "versatile" ... :lollers:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I put it out the twitters too. to all 31 of our followers :spacepalm:

WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I didn't even really phrase it right. fuck it. its only the internet.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Hugh Cornwell, Frank Black.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:47 pm Hugh Cornwell, Frank Black.
Play Telecasters. That's fantastic. Lol. It says nothing about them being versatile.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I'm actually finding that I'm listening to all sorts of "guitar heavy" music at the moment, for a change, and I hear tones I like and then I look up what they play and it's often a tele... So still leaning that way, but not because of #versatile... :biggrin:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I got your versatility right here, baby. :minernuggs:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:46 pm I didn't even really phrase it right. fuck it. its only the internet.
I think it needs to be bigger in our header...why go so small.

:facepalm: :lollers2:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

miroslav wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:50 pm I think it needs to be bigger in our header...why go so small.

:facepalm: :lollers2:
SOrry dude, it just spits it out at the size it feels like. I have 0 control over that in that instance. Just X it out and it'll be gone.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

It's no big deal.