I dispute the idea that tele's are not versatile (with audio)

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
miroslav

Re: I dispute the idea that tele's are not versatile (with audio)

Post by miroslav »

Since we're all mentioning our own versatile guitars....

The original Hag Swedes, including the reissues the stock Swedes (there other reissue Swede models that differ from the the original stock ones)...
...have the usual dual humbuckers, which you can use as Neck, Neck/Bridge or Bridge...and the have the dual volume and dual tone controls...like most LPs and many others...
...but what makes them really different and adds to their versatility is the second, three-position toggle that adds Hi-Mid Cut/Center Bypass/Hi Cut to your tonal options, and it works in conjunction with the pickup selection toggle and with the volume/tone controls.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Actually, just the other day I remembered that in one of my first bands when I was about 15 or 16, one of the guitar players had a Hagstrom. All I remember is that it was wood grain and it had a shit ton of switches on it. Like all kinds of switches.

Maybe you guys know him. His name was Glen.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I'd be perfectly ok with a one pick up Lp Jr. The less i have to fuck around with the better.
:happytrees:
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:08 pm I'd be perfectly ok with a one pick up Lp Jr. The less i have to fuck around with the better.
Along with a stock Telecaster those two to me would be the two classic rock and roll guitars. The rest is just bling... Sure I have about 25 others but thats cos I can and I need to...
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:17 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:08 pm I'd be perfectly ok with a one pick up Lp Jr. The less i have to fuck around with the better.
Along with a stock Telecaster those two to me would be the two classic rock and roll guitars.
:like:

Someone would have their work cut out for them convincing me of otherwise mutt.
:happytrees:
Roman

Post by Roman »

All you need is this......in no particular order of preference

Les Paul
Strat
Tele
Gretch
Rickey

Now you got versatility. :D

Btw love the old Hagstom guitars.

As another example of versatility being in the hands of the player, I bring up David lyndley. ( google if you dont know who he is.

I have my first guitar ever. A Sears Silvertone with amp in guitar. Not the one with the amp in the case, but it's a SS amp in the guitar.
Made by Tiesco, ugly as hell looking like a pregnant tele, with a shit brown finish. One pickup at the neck position.
Great fucking guitar!

Anyway, David Lindley has one too. I saw a show where he sat on a stool and had the guitar miced up like an acoustic. Yup. NO amp. Just a mic pointed at the little speaker in the guitar.

I was thoroughly amazed at what he did with that and the sounds he got.
Great players can do that kind of shit.
:D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Any guitar with a neck pickup is more versatile than I'd ever need it to be. I don't use neck pickups. Ever.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

and I use the neck more than the bridge ..... different strokes as they say.

It's ALL good AFAIC.

The reality is that different players with different technique use different gear.
That bit about tone being in the fingers?
There's some truth to that which is why i'm personally so against the idea that there are rules about music or the gear involved.