I dispute the idea that tele's are not versatile (with audio)

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
SweetDan

I dispute the idea that tele's are not versatile (with audio)

Post by SweetDan »

Performed on low-tier equipment and poorly recorded, granted, but nonetheless...

Recent discussion in another thread (about what's a good "next" guitar) were interesting. Part of the discussion devolved into two sides contesting the versatility of the lowly telecaster-style guitar. A tele-clone is my main axe, and I've not been unhappy with what I'm able to do with it, so I'm naturally biased against the naysayers.

:guru: I would instead make the argument (in a friendly fashion, of course) that using a telecaster-style guitar, and a pedal or two, one can get a wide variety of tones from the instrument.

As evidence to support my argument, I present:
teleTones.mp3

What is it? A variety of clips of both solo and rhythmic parts, played while alternating the guitar's pickup selection and the inclusion or bypass of a distortion pedal. The amp is the "UK 80's" simulation of a Vox AD30VT (early 2000's-generation modeling amp, 10" speaker), with gain set about 35% of the way up, and on-board EQ settings with treble slightly above 50%, mids slightly above that, and bass down around 25%. The signal chain was:
  • guitar
  • into a Digitech RP255, with the following settings:
    • EQ on all the time (small bass cut, moderate mid boost, and small treble boost)
    • simulated distortion effect (model of Boss DS-1, gain 30% up, tone 60% up, and level 35% up)
  • into the amp (settings described above)
  • into the mic(*), placed right on the grille at the point where the dustcap meets the speaker cone

The distortion pedal sim was toggled between each section of playing; first you hear the neck pickups, without and with distortion, the both pickups without/with distortion, etc.

To me, it sounds like there are enough tones to cover a lot of ground. Some discussion in the other thread revolved around the idea that tele's can do only "twang", but only one section of the audio (around 1'50"; the solo line with the neck pickup and the distortion pedal sim disengaged) sounds twangy to me.

Discuss...

---

* headset mic on something like this, though I'm not sure of the exact model:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
Lt. Bob

Re: I dispute the idea that tele's are not versatile (with audio)

Post by Lt. Bob »

I basically agree with your premise but I would take it a step further ..... all guitars are versatile.
I can play twngy country on a paul in a second.
Once you add pedals to the equation simply get the guitar you like best and use it ..... you can pretty much make it sound like you want.

There are a few stipulations ..... you gotta have a hwammy if you use one ... you gotta have 24 frets if you use them ( I do ) .... but other wise I can use any of my guitars for anything .... including, of course, my tele.
And Jimmy Page used a tele without getting twangy sounds BTW.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Teles are limited by their very design. Two single coil pickups and shared tone/vol knobs. That's limiting. The opposite of versatile.

I hate Telecasters. I have zero use for a Tele. Never in my guitar playing life have I ever thought "Man, I really could go for a Telecaster right now". Never. Not. One. Single. Time. I like lots of music made with them though. Two of my favorite bands have a Telecaster on literally every song. They're just not for me.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

I've got me one Tele...a '52 reissue, in that classic butterscotch color. Got the tweed case, and the "genuine" paperwork.
Bought it back in '95...'cuz I thought it might go OK with my Hag Swede, humbucker guitar (only had a couple back then)....and I just thought it was a really coll looking guitar...still do...but I've never really found much use for it. :D

OK...I've used it a few times, on a few tunes, just for some variety....but to this day I can't get use to the fucking neck. It's small and it's get that narrow 7.25" radius, and I just don't find much pleasure in playing it.
That said...I often thought of getting one of the Thinline Tele's with the wider, rosewood neck/fretboard...but I simply have no real need.
I've even messed around with a Strat for a bit (never much liked them)...and I just can't get comfy with that single coil sound, not for any regular use...maybe once in a blue moon for some tonal contrast with other guitar tracks.
I really wanted to like playing it, and it's sound...but it just hasn't taken after all these years.
I still think the Tele's have a great look to them...they are so different from anything out there.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Great thread.

Versatile isn't a word i would associate with a telecaster. it is simple as hell by design. i think maybe i would say it has a broad tone spectrum given the marriage of the Vol & Tone Knobs if you were a player that danced all over the place tone wise. But i am not sure that really means it can get filed under versatile as a guit.

I have seen versatile players make use of a tele in their sound and not have it sound like a twangmaster5000 straight outta Nashville. But that was left unto the creativity and how versatile the player was. not necessarily the guitar itself.

this may not make much sense casue my brain is toast and i'm way over worked at the moment.. again, but in my mind i know what i am trying to say and i am just going hit reply now. FULLSTOP
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Teles are ace.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:24 pmTwo of my favorite bands have a Telecaster on literally every song. They're just not for me.
Clash? What's the other one?
muttley

Post by muttley »

If I had to keep just one guitar in my stable it would be my Tele.... As I have often said the Telecaster is the Stradavari of rock.

Then one of my Jazz boxes..

You can keep the peddles. With those two and a decent amp I can handle just about any gig.
muttley

Post by muttley »

..mind you I'd miss my p90's... so I would prolly have to have another. Maybe a single cut jnr..

Thats it. Thats all you need.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:35 am
Clash? What's the other one?
The Clash is correct. Toy Dolls is the other one.

One of the guitarists in NOFX plays a Tele too, but it's not a typical stock Tele. He's got a hot-rails in it, or some EMG thing. It's a Tele by looks only.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Rock - Joe Strummer, Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen, John 5, Jim Root
Pop - Jeff Buckley, Prince, Andy Summers, James Burton, George Harrison
Blues - Albert Collins, Muddy Waters, Mike Bloomfield, Roy Buchanan
Country - Brad Paisley, Vince Gill, Merle Haggard, Clarence White
Psychedelic Rock - Jeff Beck, Syd Barrett, Zoot Horn Rollo
Jazz - Jimmy Bryant, Mike Stern, Howard Roberts, Barney Kessel
Soul - Steve Cropper, Freddie Stone

There are some pretty cool names in that list and it's no where near exhaustive... obviously.

Tele's rool.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

A Strat is exponentially more versatile than a Tele.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Not really. A tele has two completely different pickups as stock. A strat has three that are pretty much the same. I dont dislike any guitar or any type intrinsically but I'd take a tele over a strat anyday.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:29 am Not really. A tele has two completely different pickups as stock. A strat has three that are pretty much the same.
Lol. Three pickups that sound wildly different from each other due to their location on the guitar. Don't let your fandom of Teles cloud reality. This is about versatility, not what you like or who plays what.

ver·sa·tile
adjective
able to adapt or be adapted to many different functions or activities.

3 pickups more versatile than 2 pickups.
5-way switch more versatile than 3-way
2 tone 1 vol more versatile than 1 tone 1 vol
Vibrato more versatile than no vibrato

A Strat is by definition and design way more versatile than a Tele. Don't get me wrong, I don't like Strats either, but objectively it's a no-brainer.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:29 am I dont dislike any guitar or any type intrinsically but I'd take a tele over a strat anyday.
:like:
:happytrees:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:46 am
muttley wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:29 am Not really. A tele has two completely different pickups as stock. A strat has three that are pretty much the same.
Lol. Three pickups that sound wildly different from each other due to their location on the guitar. Don't let your fandom of Teles cloud reality. This is about versatility, not what you like or who plays what.
I'm not. Ive worked on, built and played hundreds of both...

experience

noun
noun: experience; plural noun: experiences

practical contact with and observation of facts or events.
"he had learned his lesson by painful experience"
contact with, acquaintance with, exposure to;
observation of, awareness of;
familiarity with, conversance with, understanding of, impression of, insight into
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:53 pm

experience

noun

familiarity with, conversance with, understanding of, impression of, insight into
With all that experience you should know then that a Tele is by design not as versatile as a Strat.

I'm not talking personal preference.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Once you put amp sims into the equation, I think what guitar/pick-ups you have become less important than with a real amp. I think amp sims make any guitar versatile.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:35 pm Once you put amp sims into the equation, I think what guitar/pick-ups you have become less important than with a real amp. I think amp sims make any guitar versatile.
I think that's true. Sims and modelers don't really care what kind of guitar or pickup you feed into it.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:01 pm
muttley wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:53 pm

experience

noun

With all that experience you should know then that a Tele is by design not as versatile as a Strat.

I'm not talking personal preference.
What I do know is that from the four (possibly five if you count the one nobody likes) stock strat tones.. most here would be able to identify them immediately. Even when you play with the amp settings they still sound like variations of the same. Not so with Tele tones. Pretty much every one here would be able to tell a strat in a mix right off the bat. Not so a Tele. Many people are still astounded that they find out that many and varied recorded tones they have been brought up on are in fact Telecasters... Part of it is the pickups and part of it is where they are in relation to each other. Three pup guitars have the things too close together. Give me a telecaster any day. You can drastically dial in a range of tones on a tele with a decent amp. More so than a strat. I have both and have used both in many situations from thrash covers to blue note. The tele is a particularly good blue note guitar BTW. It has bite that the strat doesnt, it has depth that the strat doesnt. It has warmth that the strat doesnt. Not that you'd care about that..;)

Any way I'm sounding like Miro now so Im off to play my gig tonight.. :guitarhero: