My next guitar - advise me!

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Armistice

My next guitar - advise me!

Post by Armistice »

So assuming that the Les Paul sells back into the family, this will free up a couple of grand for another guitar. I can add to this if I have to. Remember price conversions. The best price current year Les Paul Standard in AUD is $4K.

I want something less "solid body/dual humbucker", having, as I do, 3 of them already. I also have a strat.

I'm restricted to major brands as anything boutique you're not really going to find here in Aus. Nothing pointy. I'm not interested in an Epiphone or Squier anything - only originals. You've heard the music - what do you reckon?

I'm thinking the more obvious things like Tele, or Jazzmaster or Jag from the Fender stable? Perhaps a Rick? Some type of Gretsch? Something hollow body? I don't want to wrangle with a Bigsby. Or a Floyd Rose. No desire to buy something and then change pickups.

Open for suggestions....

I'm in no hurry - this won't be until next year. :wink:
Greg_L

Re: My next guitar - advise me!

Post by Greg_L »

Rickenbacker. Semi-hollow, unique sound, no vibrato, good looks, good jangly rock and roll guitars.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tele would be good - I've always had a thing for teles and might still get one, although I got a P90 PRS instead of one recently.
A jag would also be cool and probably suit you.

I don't know if Hallmark would export to Aus but they do cool stuff.
Hagstrom do a series called RetroScape that are single coils.

Could you stretch to a Duesenberg? Most of them are humbuckers? But some of them have the really low output Filtertrons - I think the cheapest ones are $1000 quid. Something like this https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/DSP-VW/so ... tage-white

You could always go really quirky and get a Baritone Danelectro - in your price range, single coils, but the baritone could sound cool in your music.

Ibanez do a pretty big range of hollow and semi hollow guitars and they're cheaper than Gibson - will have Humbuckers though.

And check out Reverand (silly name, I know) Guitars - they have some quirky stuff:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/JET3903TS ... tone-burst
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/FROCME/so ... rald-green
I like this one:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/SENJRVC/s ... tage-clear
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I would definitely consider a Jaguar or Jazzmaster. They are not fluent players by any means, standard bridges and tailpieces do not sustain in any meaningful way and the vintage neck radiuses result in choking out. But they have an incredibly distinctive sound. You need something totally different to what you already have. My Jaguar is my most recorded guitar. Pauls are muddy for the most part. They build up horrible muck played semi clean with mutiple tracks - the Jag is the perfect antidote to all that.
Haggard Musician :mad:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I am sort of curious about Danelctros Mosrite clones. I saw one last time i was in Edmonton and while i couldn't get a guy to get it down for me casue they were too busy i'd still like to get my hands on one and give it a spin.

I'd throw a second vote behind reverand guitars too.
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Dannos go for ridiculous prices in Australia - about AUS$800 + new contemporary MIK models that's US$634 or 799 northern dollars.
You could try one of these - I owned one and regret selling it - an Audition/Woolworths rebrand/rebadge of Teiscoishness. A VERY sweet single coil sound.
aud wool.jpg
I like the pickups SOOO much that I have two guitars with them and a spare three PUs.
Mind you - that's the sound on my recordings so many, many people wouldn't like them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:51 am Rickenbacker. Semi-hollow, unique sound, no vibrato, good looks, good jangly rock and roll guitars.
Definitely worth considering. Just have to find one in a shop somewhere to try it out. Surprisingly bad guitar shops for the biggest city in the country! :mad2:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:22 am Tele would be good - I've always had a thing for teles and might still get one, although I got a P90 PRS instead of one recently.
A jag would also be cool and probably suit you.

I don't know if Hallmark would export to Aus but they do cool stuff.
Hagstrom do a series called RetroScape that are single coils.

Could you stretch to a Duesenberg? Most of them are humbuckers? But some of them have the really low output Filtertrons - I think the cheapest ones are $1000 quid. Something like this https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/DSP-VW/so ... tage-white

You could always go really quirky and get a Baritone Danelectro - in your price range, single coils, but the baritone could sound cool in your music.

Ibanez do a pretty big range of hollow and semi hollow guitars and they're cheaper than Gibson - will have Humbuckers though.

And check out Reverand (silly name, I know) Guitars - they have some quirky stuff:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/JET3903TS ... tone-burst
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/FROCME/so ... rald-green
I like this one:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/SENJRVC/s ... tage-clear
I do like the look of Duesenbergs, and that would fill the need for something hollow - they're about low 3 grand over here for the Starcaster TV - so I'd have to find a grand or so, which is fine as I'm always saving up for the next "thing", and especially as I won't get it this year anyway, unless there are spectacular Christmas sales. I watched a few vids on them last night and they do seem to have quite diverse ranges of sounds via the pickups - but is it different enough, this is the question?

I haven't seen anyone stock Danelectro guitars in Sydney - there might be someone somewhere in the country but then it would be something I'd never played.

Teles I'm definitely interested in. My mate who's the original owner of the Les Paul has one so I'll play it when I go north. :like:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bubba wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:20 pm I would definitely consider a Jaguar or Jazzmaster. They are not fluent players by any means, standard bridges and tailpieces do not sustain in any meaningful way and the vintage neck radiuses result in choking out. But they have an incredibly distinctive sound. You need something totally different to what you already have. My Jaguar is my most recorded guitar. Pauls are muddy for the most part. They build up horrible muck played semi clean with mutiple tracks - the Jag is the perfect antidote to all that.
They are definitely on the list and not so hard to find - I don't like all the switching on the Jags but I believe the new models, or one of them, has done away with them. The Jazz I definitely like the look of. Have to find a shop that has a couple of either and go have a play some time. I get what you're saying about needing something totally different too. Not sure how I'd fare with the short scale of the Jag, though.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:00 am Dannos go for ridiculous prices in Australia - about AUS$800 + new contemporary MIK models that's US$634 or 799 northern dollars.
You could try one of these - I owned one and regret selling it - an Audition/Woolworths rebrand/rebadge of Teiscoishness. A VERY sweet single coil sound.
aud wool.jpg
I like the pickups SOOO much that I have two guitars with them and a spare three PUs.
Mind you - that's the sound on my recordings so many, many people wouldn't like them.
But where would I find one, ray?
rayc

Post by rayc »

Audition on weebay
Personally I'd search for a Rickenbacker - love 'em or get the Harley Benton clone...
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2N8PU6u3jQ[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:28 am Teles I'm definitely interested in. My mate who's the original owner of the Les Paul has one so I'll play it when I go north. :like:
I've played on a tonne of Mexican teles. They were all pretty similar and pretty nice so you could chance just buying one off the interweb and getting it delivered - should be pretty cheap. They're £500 here, what's that? $1000Aus.

They weren't all identical though - I'd be in a shop with 5 or 6 of them, trying them all for a while and was able to pick out favourites.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Is it obvious that I'm a cheapskate?
Cheers
rayc
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Armistice wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:30 am
Bubba wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:20 pm I would definitely consider a Jaguar or Jazzmaster. They are not fluent players by any means, standard bridges and tailpieces do not sustain in any meaningful way and the vintage neck radiuses result in choking out. But they have an incredibly distinctive sound. You need something totally different to what you already have. My Jaguar is my most recorded guitar. Pauls are muddy for the most part. They build up horrible muck played semi clean with mutiple tracks - the Jag is the perfect antidote to all that.
They are definitely on the list and not so hard to find - I don't like all the switching on the Jags but I believe the new models, or one of them, has done away with them. The Jazz I definitely like the look of. Have to find a shop that has a couple of either and go have a play some time. I get what you're saying about needing something totally different too. Not sure how I'd fare with the short scale of the Jag, though.
I wouldn't pick a model that does without the switching. Although, I never use the "Rhythm" circuit and I doubt you will, either. The normal switches (on the front lower bout) are dead easy to understand. One to switch the bridge pickup on, one to switch the neck pickup on, plus a "bright" switch. This thins the sound a little, but the Jag does treble very well anyway!

If you have plenty to spend, I would recommend the Johnny Marr signature Jag. It's not just a pretty face with his signature on - it has lots of improvements on it, including improved switching options, custom BK pickups etc.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPoUB9qBdg4[/BBvideo]

You'll be fine with the short scale. It's like playing with a capo on the first fret - not a big difference at all.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:14 am You'll be fine with the short scale. It's like playing with a capo on the first fret - not a big difference at all.
Same scale as an LP aren't they?
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:30 am
Bubba wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:14 am You'll be fine with the short scale. It's like playing with a capo on the first fret - not a big difference at all.
Same scale as an LP aren't they?
A bit shorter. Jags are 24", LPs are 24 3/4 and Strats etc. are 25.5. You wouldn't notice that much difference from a Paul.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:14 am I would recommend the Johnny Marr signature Jag. It's not just a pretty face with his signature on - it has lots of improvements on it, including improved switching options, custom BK pickups etc.
If you go with a Jag, this is the one to get. It's a great guitar.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:38 am
Bubba wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:14 am I would recommend the Johnny Marr signature Jag. It's not just a pretty face with his signature on - it has lots of improvements on it, including improved switching options, custom BK pickups etc.
If you go with a Jag, this is the one to get. It's a great guitar.
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/014300170 ... e-sunburst