Humbucker comparison

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Armistice

Humbucker comparison

Post by Armistice »

So, in light of my last little thing in this forum, we've established I have four guitars with twin humbuckers.

Thought it'd be more useful to actually put them side by side and ditch the single coil and the acoustic, playing something that I'd probably actually play.

Not a guessing game this time as I'll tell you what they are before you listen - interested in your thoughts as to each.

I'm using a Fargen Retro patch on the Kemper - so sort of a "boutique" Marshall clone, or so I read, and just on the point of break up, where I tend to work. Plus I didn't remove the effects on the patch as I quite like them and they suit what I'm playing, looks like a bit of reverb and modulation All the guitars are basically 10/10 - bridge pick up. The Burns doesn't exactly work that way, but it's the trebliest humbucker on sound it has.

The Burns is the only one I didn't change EQ or gain on - mainly with the other 3 I reduced the gain and added some highs and subtracted some lows.

Put drums (stock beat from Addictive) and bass in there to make it real-er.

Guitar Test Humbuckers

Frankly, I could use any of these - bit more EQing before recording here and there perhaps.

So, in order - Burns Bison, 91 Les Paul Standard, PRS Custom 22, 17 Les Paul Standard. I have my favourites, but I'll wait and see what you guys say.

The actual piece of music I just more or less made up on the spot. It uses all my favourite chords. Going to have to turn it into something now... :mad: MIght keep it for when I move on from my 27 guitars per tune thing that I'm currently on.
rayc

Re: Humbucker comparison

Post by rayc »

The Bison certainly liked the last few chords.
91 LP nice
PRS I don't know sounded a little muddy in spots
17 LP was big on bass almost boomy in spots
Interesting.
I now have 2 all humbucker guitars ( Epi Sheraton II & Squire Mustang) and one that has an HB in the bridge and a P90ish thing at the neck.
I still prefer my single coil toys.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

The PRS did feel a little darker than the prior ones. I don't know that I'd call it muddy tho.

I think I probably like the bison best for what you do. Seemed to have the most mellow sound with the fewest harsh frequencies. (Though as you said, I could picture any of them)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I think they all sounds pretty good, mate. They all sound like you.

I didn't like like the Burns as much as the others - I found that it didn't have the clarity of the others.
I think my fave is probably the 91 LP, the PRS sounds good too, I don't think its muddy, just a slightly warmer sound to me.
The 17 LP was similar to the 91 but seems to have a bit more gain - hotter pickups?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Is making me wonder why I keep buying dual humbucker guitars! Perhaps a Tele or Jag or something completely different is next...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:11 pm Is making me wonder why I keep buying dual humbucker guitars! Perhaps a Tele or Jag or something completely different is next...
I was the same for ages. I had 3 decent electrics, all of which were dual humbuckers
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The Burns and 17 LP Standard win. Those two sounded way better than the other two.

Also, this Kemper profile is way better than the one you used for the other comparison. Fargen makes good amps, and that sounds like a good profile for this kind of stuff.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:06 pm The Burns and 17 LP Standard win. Those two sounded way better than the other two.

Also, this Kemper profile is way better than the one you used for the other comparison. Fargen makes good amps, and that sounds like a good profile for this kind of stuff.
Yep, I thought the 17 LP was best and the Burns next. More mucking around with the profile and I'm sure I could have got something usable from the others though.

As far as the profile goes - like anything else, amazing what spending a few minutes dialling in the sound does... the other two from the previous thread were pretty much switch on and go and they were a bit average.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I can't tell if a tweak is better or not when I do it. Too short an auditory memory to do that sort of stuff.
Cheers
rayc