The "Pick That Guitar!" Challenge

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Armistice

The "Pick That Guitar!" Challenge

Post by Armistice »

OK... I have 6 electric guitars and have recorded them playing the same thing - see if you can work out which is which.

DISCLAIMER - as I listen I think "They all sound pretty shit and too overdriven" but they are what they are, and I didn't want to spend all night on it.

Two brief musical "things" - each of the 6 guitars play both - so 12 brief snippets in all. Played to canned drums for a bit of realism. If I was doing it properly I'd have added a bass, but... :whuteves:

Here are the guitars - now, guess what, the order they're played in isn't the order they're photographed in and also guess what, it's different between the second "thing" and the first "thing" - also, as you will see, I threw an acoustic guitar in there and played via the pickup just because there was a spare spot in the photograph... :lollers2: Can you pick it! Or will you have to hand in your Guitar Toner's Deputy's Badge? :cool: :biggrin:
Pick That Guitar.jpg
I imagine this won't stump you too much, but you never know. Please don't read anyone else's answer before you do yours, if you want to comment at all. The guitars, from top left, clockwise:

[*]1991 Les Paul Standard (1)
[*]90s Levinson Blade "strat" - although, if you look closely, you'll see it's not really a direct copy (2)
[*]Maton CW80 with AP5 pickup (pretty obvious really...) (3)
[*]Burns Bison '83 (4)
[*]2017 Les Paul Standard (5)
[*]2004 PRS CU22 (6)

As I said, it all sounds pretty awful, but what the hell. Let's see how you go. I've adjusted gain, master volume, EQ and presence a little bit between guitars to try to even it out a little, and I'm using two completely different profiles on the Kemper. Not huge adjustments, but it was too obvious otherwise.

Guitar Test

Anyone who gets all 12 correct earns my undying esteem. And a beer if you're ever in town. Maybe two. :nyuk: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero: :guitarhero:

Let the games begin. :minernuggs: :eep:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Re: The "Pick That Guitar!" Challenge

Post by rayc »

1st is acoustic?
After that I've no idea - & even that one was based on the dying note in the 2nd set.
Then again the acoustic may be the 4th based on the less powerful mid. Man, interesting but I have no clue.
Cheers
rayc
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

My main axe is a tele-clone, and I have an acoustic. I also have a nasty Dean double-humbucker thingy, but I haven't played a guitar w/humbuckers enough to get the nuances of tone and guess the other ones now. Here goes:

1) ¿
2) acoustic
3) strat
4) ?
5) ?
6) ?

7) ?
8) ?
9) ?
10) acoustic
11) strat
12) ?
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WTF is this madness
1, Maton
2, Strat
3, PRS
4, Burns
5, 17 LP
6, 91 LP
This is more like Armistice Tone(TM)
7, PRS
8, 91LP
9, 12 Burns
10, Maton
11, Strat
12, 17LP

[*]1991 Les Paul Standard (1)
[*]90s Levinson Blade "strat" - although, if you look closely, you'll see it's not really a direct copy (2)
[*]Maton CW80 with AP5 pickup (pretty obvious really...) (3)
[*]Burns Bison '83 (4)
[*]2017 Les Paul Standard (5)
[*]2004 PRS CU22 (6)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

PRS
Acoustic
Strat
LP Standard
LP Classic
Mr Burns

Strat
LP Classic
PRS
Acoustic
LP Standard
Mr Burns

Just wild guesses
Rebel Yell
Roman

Post by Roman »

All I have to say is some of you got waaay too much time on your hands.
:D

You can just take my "guitar toner deputy badge". I don't need it.
Last edited by Roman on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Roman wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:20 pm All I have to say is some of you got waaay too much time on your hands.
You could have listened and made your own guesses in the time it took you to post that.
Rebel Yell
Roman

Post by Roman »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:21 pm
Roman wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:20 pm All I have to say is some of you got waaay too much time on your hands.
You could have listened and made your own guesses in the time it took you to post that.
Didn't feel like it. Just popped in to see what was new and saw that. :D
JD01

Post by JD01 »

When are you giving out the answers to this, Armistice? I'm quite curious which one is which now.

I really like the look of the 91 Les Paul.
I actually played on an Epiphone Les Paul on Monday evening for a while - really nice guitar.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:18 am When are you giving out the answers to this, Armistice? I'm quite curious which one is which now.

I really like the look of the 91 Les Paul.
I actually played on an Epiphone Les Paul on Monday evening for a while - really nice guitar.
I'l do it once I get to work in a couple of hours. I left them there on a post it note and am running around trying to get ready just now.

It would have been a more useful exercise if I'd actually spent a bit more time getting a better sound at the start - they're both a bit average... stay tuned... :eep:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

OK - read and weep.

First sample:

1. 91 LP Standard
2. Maton acoustic
3. Blade strat
4. Burns Bison
5. 17 LP Standard
6. PRS CU 22

Second sample:
1. Blade strat
2. PRS CU 22
3. 17 LP Standard
4. Maton acoustic
5. Burns Bison
6. 91 LP Standard

From which I'd draw the following conclusions... when you have too much gain, the type of guitar probably doesn't matter that much - the acoustic in the first sample was pretty interesting - I probably wouldn't use that particular patch with anything without a fair bit more tweaking.

Also, it becomes a lot more obvious when you strip the gain away, as in the second sample. The single coil is pretty obvious and the acoustic is just dog's balls.

Also, also, the Burns needs some more love - it didn't sound anything like I though it would - I've never really recorded with it and haven't used it live for about 20 years either. It's ba-ack. And I'll take the damn compass off it. I'm over it. May even see about getting it refinished and restored to its former glory - there are cracks in the body finish and the fingerboard needs refinishing... and all the bits are getting rusty. It sustains for days - I put a bone nut and brass bridge pieces on it early on.

Thank you for playing. :like: :biggrin:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

You can just take my "guitar toner deputy badge". I don't need it.
LOL - it's the first "recording" I've done in about two months - it's winter here and I tend to cower down in front of the TV at nights, so at least it got me doing something again... :minernuggs:
Roman

Post by Roman »

Hey, you caught me on a serious day. Sometimes lighthearted fun stuff escapes me. :)
Carry on. Better than the TV.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers, Armistice - interesting comparison.

My strategy was to first pick out the acoustic, then find two that sounded really similar, assume they were the Les Pauls (and guess which way around they are), pick out the single coil then find one that sounded like an extra warm Les Paul and assume that's a PRS and leave the remaining one as the Burns.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

This was super cool Armistice. Sorry i missed out on all the fun. But i will give a nod to the exercise and having it sort of put out there as a balc and white example of what gain can do to a guitar.

Awesome!
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I might do something similar soon with my electrics.