Look what I got....

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Look what I got....

Post by JD01 »

Just sounds a bit middle of the road, that's all. Its not bad.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That's what's good about Social D. They don't try to be anything they aren't. It's just simple basic rock and roll.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I think I'm just a bit disappointed. I was expecting something a bit more gutsy like a well produced version of Black Flag or something.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. Black Flag is a total wreck compared to Social D. I love Black Flag, but they're absolute chaos. Very early Social D might be more of what you expect. They were a lot more raw in their early days.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:57 am Lol. Black Flag is a total wreck compared to Social D. I love Black Flag, but they're absolute chaos. Very early Social D might be more of what you expect. They were a lot more raw in their early days.
Yeah, its generally terribly produced. But the songs are better. After listening to a few Social D songs this morning, I listened to My War. While the recordings are a fucking mess, the songs are better.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. It's so funny to watch you carefully dip your toes into the punk rock pool. :lollers2: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:17 am Lol. It's so funny to watch you carefully dip your toes into the punk rock pool. :lollers2: :coolstorybro:
haha, Social D just doesn't sound like punk to me.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:20 am
haha, Social D just doesn't sound like punk to me.
Not really to me either, but they come from that scene so I just leave them there. They just barely tickled some mainstream success in the early/mid 90s. Ball and Chain was a pretty successful single, and I just scratched my head because their way better stuff went unnoticed. For some reason their "hits" are all their slower more bluesy type stuff.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Suppose BR were a bit like that too. The early 90s "hits" tended to be the slower grungier stuff.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:29 am Suppose BR were a bit like that too. The early 90s "hits" tended to be the slower grungier stuff.
I don't know about "grungier", but they had definitely sort of grown up some. I hated hearing Bad Religion on the radio. It just didn't seem right to me. They're not a band that belongs on the radio for the masses. They were one of those punk bands where people heard them on the radio, they bought a few albums, and then abandoned them forever because their other stuff is nothing like the radio shit.

Kind of like Radiohead. Everyone loved "Creep". It put them on the mainstream map. Melodic, dynamic, damn near a pop song. But the rest of their catalog is total weirdness.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:43 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:29 am Suppose BR were a bit like that too. The early 90s "hits" tended to be the slower grungier stuff.
I don't know about "grungier", but they had definitely sort of grown up some. I hated hearing Bad Religion on the radio. It just didn't seem right to me. They're not a band that belongs on the radio for the masses. They were one of those punk bands where people heard them on the radio, they bought a few albums, and then abandoned them forever because their other stuff is nothing like the radio shit.

Kind of like Radiohead. Everyone loved "Creep". It put them on the mainstream map. Melodic, dynamic, damn near a pop song. But the rest of their catalog is total weirdness.
I'm thinking the songs like American Jesus and 20th Century. They're not bad, but its not a million miles away from Nirvana either, slower and darker sounding than both they're earlier and later stuff (and a lot of the album they came off actually!).

Radiohead were slightly different I think, sure Creep is pretty mainstream, but 'cos their other stuff was nothing like Creep it did turn the mainstream listener on to weirder stuff... only 5 years later Paranoid Android was in the charts! And that's super weird for chart music!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

21st Century. They were playing that song way before it became their radio hit.

It's weird how a band's radio hit is rarely ever representative of their best work. Record execs and mass public are idiots.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:18 pm 21st Century. They were playing that song way before it became their radio hit.

It's weird how a band's radio hit is rarely ever representative of their best work. Record execs and mass public are idiots.
Yeah, i think they actually re-recorded 21st Century. I don't think the radio hit was the original version. I'll check now.

EDIT: Yeah, originally on Against The Grain (probably still my favourite BR album) then the re-done version was on Stranger Than Fiction and that was the radio hit.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:35 pm
Yeah, i think they actually re-recorded 21st Century. I don't think the radio hit was the original version. I'll check now.
It wasn't. That song was 5 or 6 years old already.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Here they are back to back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B18sSQszsKs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIAT8QXC6T0

Think I slightly prefer the Against The Grain version, but that's probably just 'cos I'm more familiar with it. The vocal is probably better on STF and it seems to have better harmonies.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Fuck all that. Back to the king junkie junior user.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em9CROWv6vg[/BBvideo]
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's more like it!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Mr Thunders eviscerating the Sex Pistols.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0565Y_dU2hg[/BBvideo]
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That sounds good. Is that a remaster of some sort?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:21 pm That sounds good. Is that a remaster of some sort?
Don't know. There are like five different mixes of the LAMF album and unreleased tracks from that time period.

London Boys was actually on the next album, So Alone.
Rebel Yell