Look what I got....

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
muttley

Re: Look what I got....

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:11 pm
cakewalkKaKed wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:09 pm

lol!,you think id go up against 30 year luther unless i knew something else he doesn't ... honestly its easy,i been doing setups for 30 years too ;)

normally i let things like this go,i have nothing to prove and no reputation to keep,it matters not to me :)
Lol. That's fine and all, but the point of yall's discussion is lost on me. Are you saying that a truss rod adjustment would have fixed my fret problem? Or have yall gone past that?
No it definitely woulkd not. You could at best have got rid of it by raising the action. That would have masked it not fixed it and given you an action that was set for the wrong reasons and also possible intonation problems associated with wraparound bridges. You did the right thing and you're learning. CWK didnt, he isnt...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

See, I'm not a luthier nor do I have a lot of guitar tech experience, obviously. I mean, I totally gakked up the fret in question. But I felt pretty sure right off the bat that the truss rod wasn't the problem. My action was great, intonation was surprisingly good for a wraparound bridge Chinese guitar, the neck relief was fabulous. So the truss rod didn't seem to be a problem to me. I just had one wonky fret....that I made worse. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
cakewalkKaKed
Location: wallowing in a particular insanity of any given time

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

look,until you figure out for yourselves,it pointless me posting any type of guitar setup tutorial,there's no way im gonna bang my head against a brick wall trying to educate someone who already thinks they know it all ...

but remember this,when the penny finally drops you are sooooooooooo gonna kick yourselves ..

greg- my initial worry was what effect the recent flood *could* (and *might* still ) have on all your guitars,you got some stunners ...

you had a major flood and suddenly a guitar has a major fret problem .. just keep an eye on the lovelies ... *if* there is a change its not a real worry,they *should* return to normal after time(its kinda like a guitar needing a setup after being flown from say California to Canada) what *is* concerning is that you could have work done that's not needed (its a simple nip of a truss rod,nothing more) ...

without a doubt there is more to guitars than these guys are letting on,im not going to war over it,you can keep your "reps" i have better things to do :) ..

edit:- its kinda horrible to say,but i am kinda glad the fret popped out,puts my mind at ease :)

have a good day everyone :)
muttley

Post by muttley »

:facepalm:

jEEZ MAN... I'm a proffesioinal luthier of 35 years, I have taught Musical acoustics and mechanics, I have built way more guitars than the entire board own combined, I have handled more guitars than just about everyone here combined have ever looked over and you think I dont know how a truss rod works get a grip of yourself FFS...

gerg will decide who to trust round here and thats all that really matters.

Have a good day... You clearly dont WANT to learn. I do... I learn everyday.. sadly not how to stop responding to dogs with bones...
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

cakewalkKaKed wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:54 pm look,until you figure out for yourselves,it pointless me posting any type of guitar setup tutorial,
says someone who doesn't actually have anything to say.

I have 50 years of doing this and have built many guitars and installed many truss rods .....I've adjusted and set up more guitars than you've even seen.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about or you'd do the same as us and include some reasoning behind your claims.
Saying "It's pointless for me to give you any reasoning" means you don't have any.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:20 pm
cakewalkKaKed wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:54 pm look,until you figure out for yourselves,it pointless me posting any type of guitar setup tutorial,
says someone who doesn't actually have anything to say.

I have 50 years of doing this and have built many guitars and installed many truss rods .....I've adjusted and set up more guitars than you've even seen.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about or you'd do the same as us and include some reasoning behind your claims.
Saying "It's pointless for me to give you any reasoning" means you don't have any.
VP's apprentice obviously.

Skillfully argueing against both experience and science... A winning combo everytime... :coolstorybro:

Anyway enough of that until gerg comes back with further info.. Cant add much to this otherwise. You cut along and build a hope for them awesome pups... :wink:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

cakewalkKaKed wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:54 pm greg- my initial worry was what effect the recent flood *could* (and *might* still ) have on all your guitars,you got some stunners ...

you had a major flood and suddenly a guitar has a major fret problem .. just keep an eye on the lovelies ... *if* there is a change its not a real worry,they *should* return to normal after time(its kinda like a guitar needing a setup after being flown from say California to Canada) what *is* concerning is that you could have work done that's not needed (its a simple nip of a truss rod,nothing more) ...

without a doubt there is more to guitars than these guys are letting on,im not going to war over it,you can keep your "reps" i have better things to do :) ..

edit:- its kinda horrible to say,but i am kinda glad the fret popped out,puts my mind at ease :)

have a good day everyone :)
I hear ya. I'll just say that the flooding had no affect on any of my guitars. I didn't flood, my power stayed on, my guitars live in constant A/C. We don't really get seasons or wild temp changes down here. Maybe that's why I don't have all the tuning and setup problems that everyone else constantly bitches about. :crazy:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Update - this guitar is finally at the shop. Lol. I couldn't deal with that fret and took it in to a guy that has done work for me before. The funny part was this is a shop that sells actual 59 Les Pauls and real mid-50s Juniors and they were fascinated with this Chibson.

The tech came out and went over all the measurements right in front of me and the neck and rest of the frets are all in good shape. He's just gonna fix the one bad one and give everything a fresh crown and polish and fix up the nut and I'll be good to go.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:36 am Update - this guitar is finally at the shop. Lol. I couldn't deal with that fret and took it in to a guy that has done work for me before. The funny part was this is a shop that sells actual 59 Les Pauls and real mid-50s Juniors and they were fascinated with this Chibson.

The tech came out and went over all the measurements right in front of me and the neck and rest of the frets are all in good shape. He's just gonna fix the one bad one and give everything a fresh crown and polish and fix up the nut and I'll be good to go.
Fullers?
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:22 pm

Fullers?
Yup. I gotta go pick it up this week.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:33 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:22 pm

Fullers?
Yup. I gotta go pick it up this week.
:like: Loved that place.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:15 pm

:like: Loved that place.
Yeah, me too. They lost and/or didn't renew their Gibson dealer status so there's no Gibsons in there anymore. But the Gretsch stuff....wow.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

@JD01 new Special reminded me that I've stripped this Chibson Jr and I'm gonna refinish it. I've never really liked the shitty relic job on it nor do I like it saying "Gibson" when it isn't. So I've gutted it, stripped it, gonna paint it now that I'm a paint master, and give it my own headstock logo.

Now I don't know wtf is up with the blue primer. That's some ancient chinese secret I guess. It also has a hard layer of some kind of resin or urethane filler on the body top and back. That's pretty common on cheapo guitars. But the neck is a nice pure piece of mahogany. I'm gonna fill and repair all the relic bashes and dings and get it flat and smooth for some fresh paint. It's gonna be a metallic candy-ish purple.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Manwhore.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:52 pmManwhore.
Yes
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

The blue layer is normally a hard resin/epoxy filler that they use on most of their full paint bodies. It is similar to car body filler but tougher and harder to sand back. It is used to fill over knot holes, bad joins, tool dings and many other production blemishes before the final sand and paint. You can scuff it and go straight on it with your normal primers but it may be wise to go lean the first few coats just in case. If you have any worries shoot a few coats of shellac or cellulose sanding asealer on it as a ground coat. That will take most finishes. The clear is probably a sealer primer, they are popular in Asia as a base/ground coat. Remember most of their finishing regimes are what they are. They don't really care about integrity or historical guitar finishing techniques, they just want to get a quick and solid finished product out cheaply.

What are going onto that with? Nitro I guess.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:21 pm The blue layer is normally a hard resin/epoxy filler that they use on most of their full paint bodies. It is similar to car body filler but tougher and harder to sand back. It is used to fill over knot holes, bad joins, tool dings and many other production blemishes before the final sand and paint. You can scuff it and go straight on it with your normal primers but it may be wise to go lean the first few coats just in case. If you have any worries shoot a few coats of shellac or cellulose sanding asealer on it as a ground coat. That will take most finishes. The clear is probably a sealer primer, they are popular in Asia as a base/ground coat. Remember most of their finishing regimes are what they are. They don't really care about integrity or historical guitar finishing techniques, they just want to get a quick and solid finished product out cheaply.

What are going onto that with? Nitro I guess.
Probably not Nitro. I don't have the setup or patience for that stuff. I'm probably gonna use some type of automotive paint and poly clear. Really basic and easy.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

OK, on solid colour work it is vital to get the sealer and primer right but you prolly know that from your time doing cars. Also, don't forget my mantra on finishing.

Test on scrap.😉
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:40 pm OK, on solid colour work it is vital to get the sealer and primer right but you prolly know that from your time doing cars. Also, don't forget my mantra on finishing.

Test on scrap.😉
Oh this thing is scrap for sure. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool, are you gonna spell Greg but using the Gibson font?

I'm sure this will be great when you finish it.