Look what I got....

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Look what I got....

Post by Greg_L »

59 Les Paul Jr......Chibson. :lollers2: :spacepalm:

This was supposed to be TV Yellow, but you know those chinese...they speak chinese. I don't know why they don't know what yellow is.

Anyway, it came in white so my buddy beat it up to "relic" it. I'm kind of 50/50 on the relic'ing, but hey, I didn't buy it, and it aint real anyway, so fuck it. Looks okay. The neck feels nice. I gotta put it all together now. I got a Mutt90 dogear that's been sitting around waiting for this guitar, so it's time to get to work on it.

Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Re: Look what I got....

Post by Tadpui »

Sweet! And you've got a nice pickup to put in it! This'll be an interesting project, for sure.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:32 pm Sweet! And you've got a nice pickup to put in it! This'll be an interesting project, for sure.
Yeah. It's cool...though I'm a little concerned about the body wood. It's supposed to be mahogany, but it's some low grade mahogany if it is. And it's got the same kind of weird veneer my junk Harmony project had. No matter. I had to scrape some gunk out of the pickup cavity and drill out the pot holes for CTS pots. The control cavity is tiny and the holes are not centered. The big CTS pots almost hit the wall. So it'll have great electronics. I had to punch out the hole from the jack to the control cavity. It had a huge painted shard of wood sticking through. Lol. And I'm really impressed with the neck....so far. Fret ends feel great, it's got neck binding, nice profile, not super chunky.

Fake Klusons. They feel fine. They look a little out of place. They'll need to be uglied up some. The chrome buttons are bleh.

Made in USA!

Mutt90 in place for a mockup. The mounting holes on the guitar are all out of whack, so new ones will be drilled. The guitar came with a soapbar P90....with a dogear cover. Lol. Meaning, it was not mounted at all. Soapbars and dogear P90s mount differently, and this one was not mounted either way. It was just banging around in the box. Ancient chinese secret, huh? :guru: And it came with one knurled knob, which has no place on a Jr. And just one knob. Just one. I'm gonna keep it though. It'll look okay mismatched with a real knob to go with the beater appearance.

CTS 500k audio pots in place, just barely, waiting for wiring.
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

That nut looks like it could hurt. Lol - please say you will change that. :)
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ido1957 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:15 pm That nut looks like it could hurt. Lol - please say you will change that. :)
Lol. It's not great, but it's not as bad as it looks. We do have a pre-cut bone nut for it that will hopefully only take a little extra work.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I'm not fussed on the "relic" thing either but I suppose it's a "thing" now. When are you going to finish the Harmony?
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

To be fair, I think that looks pretty cool. The relic effect, while a little heavy on this, does make it look a bit less like a Chinese knock off. If he hadn't gone quite so crazy with it, it might just looks like a guitar that's been around the block a few times as opposed to something that looks relict.

There's no reason that won't sound good with decent electronics provided the bridge, nut and frets are all in the right place!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:52 am To be fair, I think that looks pretty cool. The relic effect, while a little heavy on this, does make it look a bit less like a Chinese knock off. If he hadn't gone quite so crazy with it, it might just looks like a guitar that's been around the block a few times as opposed to something that looks relict.

There's no reason that won't sound good with decent electronics provided the bridge, nut and frets are all in the right place!
This is definitely not one of the better Chibsons out there. I've said before, sometimes you get a very quality guitar and a seller that is cooperative and responsive. And sometimes you get a total basket case. This one does not quite seem like it's gonna be a basket case, but the process of getting it was frustrating, and it's not the right color. I liked it fine before he relic'd it, but he had this idea of making it a Johnny Thunders guitar. If it plays good and sounds good, then maybe we'll just strip it back down and repaint the whole thing.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

You need to swap out those tuners for some klusons with tulip buttons (olive green imho). Right now that is the one thing that makes it look meh....

On the mahogany thing, it could anyone one of hundreds of substitutes but you can tone it down by using a really dilute walnut stain and rub lots of old cigarette ash in there. When you get it looking how you want it you can seal the bare wood over with candle wax to stop it rubbing through.

Cant wait to hear it. After all thats what it's for..
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:52 am I'm not fussed on the "relic" thing either but I suppose it's a "thing" now. When are you going to finish the Harmony?
No idea if I'm ever gonna finish that thing. It's not good at all. Lol. This Chibson is like an actual 59 Jr compared to that Harmony.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Also I'm not sure if its the pic but I like how they got the 12th fret dot markers in wonky just like Gibson often do. Nice authentic touch...:)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:20 am You need to swap out those tuners for some klusons with tulip buttons (olive green imho). Right now that is the one thing that makes it look meh....

On the mahogany thing, it could anyone one of hundreds of substitutes but you can tone it down by using a really dilute walnut stain and rub lots of old cigarette ash in there. When you get it looking how you want it you can seal the bare wood over with candle wax to stop it rubbing through.

Cant wait to hear it. After all thats what it's for..
Right. Playing good and sounding good is the ultimate goal here. Looking good doesn't matter if it's a shit guitar.

He has some other Klusons. The kind that are all stuck together on each side. I don't know what that type is actually called. It's like 3 tuners on one piece. I don't think they're tulips though. I think they're bean-shaped like these....but not all shiny and new looking. They're white. I didn't wanna put them on until I knew the guitar was worth it. Once I get it all strung up and set up we'll see.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Yeh originally a lot of jnrs had the three in a row fixed tuners with white buttons. Most of those buttons are now yellow and cracked to hell..
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:33 am Yeh originally a lot of jnrs had the three in a row fixed tuners with white buttons. Most of those buttons are now yellow and cracked to hell..
I found some old .022 caps last night so I should be able to wire it up today. If it all goes well I'll get those tuners from him this weekend.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'll be interested to hear how this thing sounds compared to your normal guitar 'cos in my limited experience I really like the sound of P90s in the bridge position.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:50 am I'll be interested to hear how this thing sounds compared to your normal guitar 'cos in my limited experience I really like the sound of P90s in the bridge position.
Well I don't doubt the pickup will sound great. The pots and wiring will all be great. The wild card is this goofy guitar. We'll see what kind of impact the actual guitar has compared to the Mutt90 in my SG - which sounds amazing. An SG and a Jr are basically almost the same thing. My SG has a maple neck though. This Jr has a ?????? neck.

Actually, looking through the relic'ing, the neck does appear to be mahogany or a reasonable substitute. It's red, it's grainy, seems like mahogany.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Interesting. What did that thing cost?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:38 am Interesting. What did that thing cost?
I didn't buy it, but I think it was about $220.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I'm confused. IS this a chibson? but why deos it say made in the USA and stuff? IS that all part of the ruse?

I'm not 100% in love with the relicing but for what it can turn into who cares. :like:
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:51 pm I'm confused. IS this a chibson? but why deos it say made in the USA and stuff? IS that all part of the ruse?

I'm not 100% in love with the relicing but for what it can turn into who cares. :like:
Yup, it's all part of the ruse. 100% fake counterfeit "Gibson" made in China, aka, Chibson.
Rebel Yell