Look what I got....

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: Look what I got....

Post by Greg_L »

Okay mofos, it's alive!

Wired up...so basic. I love it.

The quality hand made control cavity cover. Hand made by Kim Jong-un.

The tuners are indeed shit. They work, yes, but some of them are very tight under tension, some spin easily. Nevertheless, it's all strung up and everything works as it should. Did a quick and dirty setup on it and it plays real nice. Not bad at all. The neck is very very slightly off center a tiny bit. The distance from string to fretboard edge is just a hair more on the treble side than on the bass side, but I don't notice it while playing. I can barely notice it with the naked eye. The strings and pickup poles line up perfectly, so nice job there Mutt. And the strings stay straight and parallel down the neck, so no problem even with the very slight off-center-ness. Nice action, no ridiculous fret buzz, neck/frets feel good, neck is straight, no dead choked notes, all's well.

The body. I don't think it looks so bad all put together.

Clips to come....tomorrow.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Definitely looks more legit "reliced" when assembled.
I look forward to hearing it.
Cheers
rayc
muttley

Post by muttley »

Yeh, that neck is a mahogany of some sort. Without seeing it close up I would guess maybe Limba, maybe Korina, but it could be one of many. It's definitely not a Honduran or a Sapele. Not a bad thing but I'm guessing that the thing is gonna sound really bright and immediate not too much sustain but quite brash in a good way.... Quite interested to hear it now. It would be good to stand it up against a known set of woods and picckups as a comparison...
muttley

Post by muttley »

Looks cool man. Really keen to hear it now... Good job.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Well, it LOOKS pretty sweet. Good to hear that it feels and plays well. Not a bad score at all, man! I'm curious how it sounds as well.

...And nice wiring/soldering job. I'm about to break out the soldering iron myself and put together a couple of throwaway Velleman projects before I tackle my fuzz pedal project.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I've read about and watched a few videos of the Chibsons and the consensus is mixed. I don't think I'd purchase one, I'd rather buy a pedal or something lol, but I see why people do. Why not? I mean, fuck it, if it sounds alright then who gives a shit right? WRONG lol. I'm too snob for no good reason. If I had a bunch of money to play with and had a guitar collection then I'd give a few a try I guess. I may get one for the right price, like a really Good price. I think they can be cool though and have no hate for people who get them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Thanks fellas. It actually sounds pretty awesome so far. I've only low-volumed it through the JVM, but I'm liking what I'm hearing. I'm not getting anything weird that I can attribute to the guitar.

The consensus is definitely mixed on Chibsons. Some are relatively very good. Relatively, as in, as good as Epiphones because that's basically what they are. And some Epiphones are better than real Gibsons, so it's not impossible to get your hands on a truly wonderful Chibson. But it is a gamble. A crapshoot. You might get a real gem, or a real turd. This Jr falls somewhere in the middle. I've seen worse, but I've seen better too. if you're able and/or willing to potentially throw away $200-400, then the gamble can be worth it.

As far as it being fake and all....I look at it from a few different angles.

1) Any purchase of a fake and attempt to sell as real is the lowest form of scum and there's a special place in hell for those people. I didn't buy this guitar, but I'm gonna be the main beneficiary of it, and the sole intent of this little project piece of shit is to just have a cool P90 recording guitar. We'll smash it on stage before we ever even think of selling it. The main intent was for my band to have a P90 guitar in our arsenal, and the guy that bought it is an artist. He paints and relics guitars for people all the time. With a better canvas, he does amazing work. This guitar was never gonna be beautiful. And my side of it, since I'm the actual LP Jr fanboy of the band (they couldn't care less about a P90 guitar), I did all the mechanical work on it and get to keep it around my house.

2) A real 59 LP Jr is simply out of the question, a 50s LP Jr is one of the coolest guitars of all time, and fuck Gibson right int he cornhole for not making some kind of basic production version of one in modern times. Not even some cheap faded studio Jr exists anymore. So if we have to go to China to get one, then fuck you Gibson. It's your loss, cunts.

3) Between me, and the two actual guitarists in my band, we have over a dozen actual, real, high-end Gibsons. No Epis or fadeds or Studios, etc. We have the shit they lock up in the fancy rooms at Guitar Center. So it's not like we're posers trying to fool anyone.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Looks cool as fuck, Greg. I wouldn't bother painting it yellow, looks great as it is.

It is shite of Gibson not to have this guitar in production, the most recent production version looks fucking awful.
https://reverb.com/uk/p/gibson-les-paul ... id=5233571

There was a nice version done in the early 2000s, its a special though, don't know if they did a jr.
https://reverb.com/item/638602-gibson-l ... d-tv-white
I considered buying one about 6 months ago, but I couldn't justify the price, so I got the PRS.

If you can stomach having a Greenday signature version there's this:
http://thetopguitars.com/custom-shop-lp ... ytEALw_wcB
and I think its it current production.

Interesting bridge on yours, is that an aftermarket bit, or did it come from China? Looks like its worth more than the guitar!
Also, I just noticed, that the Specials I just linked to have stopbar and T-o-M bridges whereas the Jrs have wraparounds - is this a standard thing?
muttley

Post by muttley »

Pretty much all Jnrs have wrap around....
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:19 am Looks cool as fuck, Greg. I wouldn't bother painting it yellow, looks great as it is.

It is shite of Gibson not to have this guitar in production, the most recent production version looks fucking awful.
https://reverb.com/uk/p/gibson-les-paul ... id=5233571

There was a nice version done in the early 2000s, its a special though, don't know if they did a jr.
https://reverb.com/item/638602-gibson-l ... d-tv-white
I considered buying one about 6 months ago, but I couldn't justify the price, so I got the PRS.

If you can stomach having a Greenday signature version there's this:
http://thetopguitars.com/custom-shop-lp ... ytEALw_wcB
and I think its it current production.

Interesting bridge on yours, is that an aftermarket bit, or did it come from China? Looks like its worth more than the guitar!
Also, I just noticed, that the Specials I just linked to have stopbar and T-o-M bridges whereas the Jrs have wraparounds - is this a standard thing?
I've seen all of those live in person over the years. The 15 is a no-go. It had all the 2015 crap that Gibson did in 2015. I don't want a shredder neck and robot tuners and a brass zero-nut on a Jr. And no pickguard? Blech. The white Special is pretty cool, but can't find em. The Green Day model....um no. I'm not paying $1400 for a Jr called "Billie Joe" when I know that guitar should be called the Johnny Thunders.

The wrap around bridge is standard for old Jrs. None of the originals had separate bridge and tailpiece. And to my total shock and awe, I got this Chibson's intonation pretty much perfect.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:19 am The white Special is pretty cool, but can't find em.
I've only seen one come up for that era (2001 in TV yellow), it was in Manchester and he wanted 700 quid for it , which was a pretty good deal I reckon. But I just didn't have the money and wasn't sure that I wanted a P90 guitar.. knowing what I know now I might have stretched to it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:23 am
I've only seen one come up for that era (2001 in TV yellow), it was in Manchester and he wanted 700 quid for it , which was a pretty good deal I reckon. But I just didn't have the money and wasn't sure that I wanted a P90 guitar.. knowing what I know now I might have stretched to it.
I had a lead on a new-ish TV Yellow Special about 2 years ago. $600. I think it was like a 2004 model or something. It belonged to the friend of a drummer I was playing with. I played it a few times and didn't really like it. And it was a single cut. It just felt clunky didn't inspire any rock and roll greatness in me so I passed. For that same 600 bucks, I bought a 50w Plexi reissue (the one I just modded). That was a way better score.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:28 am
I had a lead on a new-ish TV Yellow Special about 2 years ago. $600. I think it was like a 2004 model or something. It belonged to the friend of a drummer I was playing with. I played it a few times and didn't really like it. And it was a single cut. It just felt clunky didn't inspire any rock and roll greatness in me so I passed. For that same 600 bucks, I bought a 50w Plexi reissue (the one I just modded). That was a way better score.
Yeah, does sound like a better deal. That's also why I was tentative about going for it. I knew nothing about how the guitar would feel to play and had no reference point for it - I just knew it looked cool, I would have been spending a lot of money totally blind. The PRS while tragically uncool, was only 200 quid and I had an idea of how it would play.

I know you hate Pearl Jam but this is Mike Mcready talking about his 59 Jr
https://youtu.be/lkhSj5CqfOk?t=214
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:37 am

Good on him for mentioning Johnny Thunders and the NY Dolls. Because his retarded fanbase surely has no idea who they are. :lollers2:

The rhythm guitarist in Social Distortion, Johnny Twobags, has like half-a-dozen 59 Jrs. I think it's all he plays in Social D. Mike Ness has P90s in his LP Deluxe. And of course, the Bad Religion guys. Mick Jones. Johnny Thunders. Tons of bands I like feature a P90 Les Paul Jr.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:52 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:37 am

Good on him for mentioning Johnny Thunders and the NY Dolls. Because his retarded fanbase surely has no idea who they are. :lollers2:
haha, I knew you'd say something like that! Its weird - if PJ had never released the Ten album you probably wouldn't mind them... I agree that Jeremy is pretty unforgivable... but hey, it was 1990 and cock rock wasn't quite dead yet, it was still on the last of it's life support.

Its a lovely guitar though isn't it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:55 am
haha, I knew you'd say something like that! Its weird - if PJ had never released the Ten album you probably wouldn't mind them... I agree that Jeremy is pretty unforgivable... but hey, it was 1990 and cock rock wasn't quite dead yet, it was still on the last of it's life support.

Its a lovely guitar though isn't it.
Yup, it is.

I was around when Pearl Jam blew up. I remember it very well. To me, they were the same as the spandex cockrock of just a few years before, just with lower vocals and newer production styles. Same shit music though. Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden....put them in makeup and spandex and they're Winger. Same shit. I couldn't understand why so many old metalheads of the era hated those new bands so much. I was like, "dudes, it's the same fucking shit".
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I had a lead on a new-ish TV Yellow Special about 2 years ago. $600. I think it was like a 2004 model or something.
I am regretting not picking up a few of the Pelham Blue guitars Gibson released exclusively in Canada i think back in i want to say 2009 or 2010? Our local shop had one of every flavor Gibson in PB. I looked longingly at the SG and the Jr which were both reasonably priced considering but having just bought a new bass and small bass rig i was an idiot and passed on them. Coulda shoulda woulda. But the Jr most notably i regret not picking up. too bad really.

I think P90's are like Cilantro. You either like them or you don't like them. I guess the same could be said about pearl jam.

I didn't get too caught up in the whole grunge thing. Some of it was good and there was some good bands that came out of that whole Seattle Flannel scene but the landmark bands like PJ, Soundgarden and stuff were just a little too marketable to have any real kind of edge that would attract me. Pavement was kind of cool,Sleater Kinney was phenomenal. those bands had an edge and fell out of that scene. But having grown up around Halifax during that period in musical evolution i got spoiled with a super rich "Seattle Type" grunge scene that produced bands like Sloan, Plumtree, Eric's trip and stuff like that and that eventually lead me down the punk rock road. Obviously, cause Sloan is kind of not awesome and i had to find better bands to go see. :lollers: :lollers:
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:25 pm

I am regretting not picking up a few of the Pelham Blue guitars Gibson released exclusively in Canada i think back in i want to say 2009 or 2010? Our local shop had one of every flavor Gibson in PB. I looked longingly at the SG and the Jr which were both reasonably priced considering but having just bought a new bass and small bass rig i was an idiot and passed on them. Coulda shoulda woulda. But the Jr most notably i regret not picking up. too bad really.

I think P90's are like Cilantro. You either like them or you don't like them. I guess the same could be said about pearl jam.

I didn't get too caught up in the whole grunge thing. Some of it was good and there was some good bands that came out of that whole Seattle Flannel scene but the landmark bands like PJ, Soundgarden and stuff were just a little too marketable to have any real kind of edge that would attract me. Pavement was kind of cool,Sleater Kinney was phenomenal. those bands had an edge and fell out of that scene. But having grown up around Halifax during that period in musical evolution i got spoiled with a super rich "Seattle Type" grunge scene that produced bands like Sloan, Plumtree, Eric's trip and stuff like that and that eventually lead me down the punk rock road. Obviously, cause Sloan is kind of not awesome and i had to find better bands to go see. :lollers: :lollers:
The 90s had a lot of good stuff that was overshadowed by garbage like Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. It was a very musically eclectic time period. But the shit won out, as always.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:52 am The rhythm guitarist in Social Distortion, Johnny Twobags, has like half-a-dozen 59 Jrs. I think it's all he plays in Social D. Mike Ness has P90s in his LP Deluxe.
I was going to put this up somewhere else but here are the guits Gerg is yakking about. I also love the new way they are playing this song. It's cool.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/lIWHlIhvt3Y[/BBvideo]
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:25 pm

I had a lead on a new-ish TV Yellow Special about 2 years ago. $600. I think it was like a 2004 model or something.

WJ, did you ever like a 90s band from the Midwest called Split Lip or Chamberlain? You'd probably like their earlier stuff