The Hagstrom guitar I want.

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

The Hagstrom guitar I want.

Post by Lt. Bob »

No Miro ..... not the swede .... I had one of the first of those ..... too les pauly for me.

What I really really want is a Hagstrom III.
I had a couple of them and they're awesome guitars.
Kinda a strat sound but with more balls and yet, even stratier than a strat.
Really amazing sounding guitars.
The necks a bit thin but I really wish I still had one.

Maybe Miro, in his searches for Swedes may run across one .... let me know if you do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: The Hagstrom guitar I want.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Jesus. What a piece of kit! It's like an SG took a strat behind a 7-11 and got it pregnant. Then when it was born it was blessed with super powers from higher power.

Bob, whats all the switches obviously for the pick ups but it looks like there is a lot going on there?
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Fucking cool
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:41 am Jesus. What a piece of kit! It's like an SG took a strat behind a 7-11 and got it pregnant. Then when it was born it was blessed with super powers from higher power.

Bob, whats all the switches obviously for the pick ups but it looks like there is a lot going on there?
lol .... it was a bit of a slut! :lollers:

On the switches, I actually don't remember .... 3 of them are simply on and off switches for the p'ups.
But if you notice, there's no tone control .... just a volume knob ....... so I'm guessing the others are tone switches.
Prolly give you a choice of bright or dark for each p'up.

I had a blue one and I had a red one but they were pretty early in my playing career ..... the red one was fucking amazing looking.
I'm kinda hoping Miro. the resident Hagstrom expert , knows where one is.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

There are a few on fleabay - not cheap, though.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Awesome. Look where that fucking top strap button is!
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:38 am Maybe Miro, in his searches for Swedes may run across one .... let me know if you do.
Be happy to give you a heads-up...I check for Hags every day, just out of habit.

You looking for vintage or a deal on a reissued H III?

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/electric ... h-iii.html
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

to be honest, i've never really paid a whole lot of attention to Hagstrom guitars. Some of them are kind of cool looking. I know we have a dealer here in town but i rarely ever go into that store. I'd go in and fingerbang some Hags next time i am out and about. I think the H3 in that aged sky blue would be pretty bad ass if i am 100% honest.
:happytrees:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I've seen some nice looking guitars by them. The old guitar player in my band had a couple too.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I would really like that guitar if it didn't have that stupid Fender headstock.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

miroslav wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:21 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:38 am Maybe Miro, in his searches for Swedes may run across one .... let me know if you do.
Be happy to give you a heads-up...I check for Hags every day, just out of habit.

You looking for vintage or a deal on a reissued H III?

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/electric ... h-iii.html
a reissue would probably be cheaper .... I'd be fine with that if it's a good deal.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:43 pm to be honest, i've never really paid a whole lot of attention to Hagstrom guitars. Some of them are kind of cool looking. I know we have a dealer here in town but i rarely ever go into that store. I'd go in and fingerbang some Hags next time i am out and about. I think the H3 in that aged sky blue would be pretty bad ass if i am 100% honest.
miro has a truly phenomenal collection of Hagstrom Swedes ..... they're wonderful guitars but I'm not a single cut guy
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:50 am miro has a truly phenomenal collection of Hagstrom Swedes ..... they're wonderful guitars but I'm not a single cut guy
You might consider the Viking then, which is a double-cut, but even better, IMO are the Hagstrom Deuce guitars, basically double-cut Swedes, though also about a 1/4" thinner, so real light...but they discontinued them for some reason, though you can still find them on the net.

There were basically three models, the standard Deuce, the Deuce-F (f-hole) and the Deuce Tremar (their proprietary whammy bar rig).
I have all three, and they are so much fun to play, and of course, fantastic access in the upper frets.

I also have a Viking, but that's a dual f-hole, semi, and larger body...still great, but the Deuces are just killer.

JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's nice - I would like a hollow-body, but not with a Bigsby. Its not high priority at the moment.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:38 am No Miro ..... not the swede .... I had one of the first of those ..... too les pauly for me.

What I really really want is a Hagstrom III.
I had a couple of them and they're awesome guitars.
Kinda a strat sound but with more balls and yet, even stratier than a strat.
Really amazing sounding guitars.
The necks a bit thin but I really wish I still had one.

Maybe Miro, in his searches for Swedes may run across one .... let me know if you do.
I think if you like the way those sound because of the strat but more ballsy you are gonna love the mutt90 that Ive just spun up for you.. Its got a coil tap in it so that part coil will give you that fat strat kind of tone then at the flick of a switch you will get a full p90 output which is kind of what those have...

Those Hagstroms do look cool as well in a very quirky kind of way.. Like you I have always found the neck and balance a little tool "broom stick" for my taste but they do sound good. Hope you find one that suits you.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've never really looked at Hagstroms before, but they seem like they're both interesting and good value for money. I've looked at the cheaper Ibanez and some epi semi-hollow guitars but they all feel a bit "cheap" but no way could I justify over a grand on a Gibson. The prices seem to be about E700 Euros, which is pretty good really.

The Pat Smear model looks cool but I really don't need another solid body with Humbuckers. I do like the Vikings.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

the reason I'd like one is nostalgia for having had one in my youth.
Not really looking for a new guitar per se ...... so the only one I'd want is the III.

I also want a Mosrite for the same reason.

And last and certainly least a Silvertone 1437 ... the first electric I ever had.
Oddly there were two dramatically different looking guitars both called the 1437.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:04 am I've never really looked at Hagstroms before, but they seem like they're both interesting and good value for money. I've looked at the cheaper Ibanez and some epi semi-hollow guitars but they all feel a bit "cheap" but no way could I justify over a grand on a Gibson. The prices seem to be about E700 Euros, which is pretty good really.

The Pat Smear model looks cool but I really don't need another solid body with Humbuckers. I do like the Vikings.
There are also a couple of "jazz" models...semis with a deeper body than the Viking.

The Hags are quite good. When they first reissued them, there was some poor QC and not enough consistency...but they've gotten that pretty much under control in their China factory...and if you want a bit more up-scale, they also make the two "Northen" models (Swede & Super Swede) out of Czechoslovakia. I kinda would like to see them just do the entire line there...but I guess it's a cost thing, and they can provide a lower priced instrument out of China...which is quite good these days.

My obsession with Swedes goes back to 1975...and while I've owned many other brands, at one point I just started accumulating Hags after the reissues came out...and then one day I decided why not go with nothing but Hags...:D...though I do also have a Fender 52 RI, Ibanez AG85, which is a wide semi, but smaller body (great sounding guitar) and a Duesenberg 49er.
My Swedes are all different looking and different sounding...except for the 4 vintage Swedes, which are pretty much the same sound, just different colors.

If you're in a shop that has them...don't hesitate to try them...they really are a great value, and can sound as good as anything out there.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've never seen them anywhere.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:15 pm I've never seen them anywhere.
CCR played them all the time.... :lollers2: