Empty cabs

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Empty cabs

Post by Greg_L »

Man, finding an empty 1960A cab is proving to be pretty damn tough.

I've got many extra speakers laying around. I need one more cab to complete my double stack semi-wall of Marshalls. I need another cab like I need a hole in the head, but dammit, I want that last damn cab to make two full stacks. One is not enough. I've been looking for months all over Texas. Someone somewhere has to have an empty Marshall A cab!
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Re: Empty cabs

Post by miroslav »

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

miroslav wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:13 pm http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... _sacat=619

Some expensive vintage shit... :)
I'll never - NEVER - buy a cab off ebay.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Why not a cab?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

miroslav wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:33 pmWhy not a cab?
Cuz shipping a cab is fucking expensive. The shipping is like 25% + of the total price. I have Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans all within a few hours drive of me. I'd rather go for a little road trip to get a cab than pay over a hundred bucks just in shipping.
Rebel Yell
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Greg_L wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 10:08 pm Man, finding an empty 1960A cab is proving to be pretty damn tough.
If you think that's tough try finding a 1982B cab.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ocnor wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:40 am

I know where one is right now. It's a JCM 800 1982B with H-100s. It's sitting in my band's practice room. My guy doesn't use it anymore.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Hmm, well I got a lead on an empty Carvin cab. Yuck. It's free though. It might be a good stop-gap filler cab for now.

I also got a minor lead on an 80s Jubilee cab. It's a friend of a friend type deal. He bought it from a guy as a favor, so I might be able to snag it cheap.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Hey mister I-modded-a-plexi...

Why not build your own cab? or like you just need it to be a marshall to complete the holy trinity .. or quadrupley?
:happytrees:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I'm really surprised you can't find an empty cab where you live Greg...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:19 pm Hey mister I-modded-a-plexi...

Why not build your own cab? or like you just need it to be a marshall to complete the holy trinity .. or quadrupley?
I would, but I don't do woodwork. I can finger bang, but I can't finger joint. I don't have table saws and planers and routers and all that nonsense.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:38 pm I'm really surprised you can't find an empty cab where you live Greg...
Lots of junk empty cabs, lots of good loaded cabs, but nothing good and empty.
Rebel Yell
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:58 am
ocnor wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:40 am

I know where one is right now. It's a JCM 800 1982B with H-100s. It's sitting in my band's practice room. My guy doesn't use it anymore.
No shit? Does it it have small checkerboard grill cloth?
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ocnor wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:26 pm

No shit? Does it it have small checkerboard grill cloth?
No it's an 800-era cab. Normal looking black grill, big logo.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:23 pm
Minerman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:38 pm I'm really surprised you can't find an empty cab where you live Greg...
Lots of junk empty cabs, lots of good loaded cabs, but nothing good and empty.
Slanted or straight dude??? Just curious...

You mentioned a Carvin cab, have any idea what year it is??? FWIW, my nephew the preacher has a Carvin 4x12 he got new in '89...It's still in pretty good shape even after all these years (it was gigged for a long time, I used it myself for about 6 months)...

Show us some pics of the Carvin cab dude...You might just need some cosmetic changes to make it look like you should...On second thought, the tolex is probably different (I guess), so there'd probably be no easy way to make it more Marshall-y...

Pics dude, show me some pics... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:35 pm

Slanted or straight dude??? Just curious...

You mentioned a Carvin cab, have any idea what year it is??? FWIW, my nephew the preacher has a Carvin 4x12 he got new in '89...It's still in pretty good shape even after all these years (it was gigged for a long time, I used it myself for about 6 months)...

Show us some pics of the Carvin cab dude...You might just need some cosmetic changes to make it look like you should...On second thought, the tolex is probably different (I guess), so there'd probably be no easy way to make it more Marshall-y...

Pics dude, show me some pics... :minernuggs:
I'm looking for a slant cab.

I don't have any pics of it yet. A friend of mine bought it to swipe the speakers out of it for something else. He says it's late 80s/early 90s so I'm guessing it's probably pretty good. I have no idea what it looks like though. It's free, so if it's actual plywood I'll take it. But I'm gonna keep looking for a proper Marshall cab.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:38 pm I'm looking for a slant cab.

I don't have any pics of it yet. A friend of mine bought it to swipe the speakers out of it for something else. He says it's late 80s/early 90s so I'm guessing it's probably pretty good. I have no idea what it looks like though. It's free, so if it's actual plywood I'll take it. But I'm gonna keep looking for a proper Marshall cab.
Weird, most folks I've read about have trouble finding a straight cab...That was a while back in the Marshall forum though, so I'm outta the loop dude...I've actually stopped drooling over guitar gear, my fetish is drums now...hahaha...I've almost convinced myself to just buy 3-4 Alesis drums/pads & fix 'em how I want 'em...Comparing the prices of the diy route to just buying a few drum pads is waking me up...While it'd be fun to convert a couple toms into 4 e-drum toms, by the time I buy the supplies I'd need, it's probably gonna be just as cheap to buy a few drum pads, then do some little/minor shit to 'em...I dunno, we'll see, I plan on making my first move sometime this weekend, I'll let you guys know what I decide...I may even post some ideas of what I'm gonna do, & let you guys guide me on my way...Sorry to hi-jack ya dude, I get started &, well, you know how I am... :facepalm:

The Carvin cab I mentioned is a solid built cab dude, & still has the original speakers from about the time you mentioned...If you get some pics of the speakers, post 'em & I'll get some of my nephew's, I'm betting they're the same if you buddy's are stock Carvin...The grill is metal though, so if you'd wanna convert it, I know you'd have to change the grill...But, if you're gonna do that, you may as well find the real deal...Shouldn't be too hard though man, maybe buy one loaded & sell the speakers, just a thought...

What speakers are you gonna put in it??? I'm 1,000,000% sure you know most Marshall cabs will have the T-75's (after all, you're the one who basically schooled me on this shit :biggrin: ), the cheaper ones anyway, but you never know...I've saw some stupid good deals in your part of the country, like the head you bought for like $600, bet you wish you could find deals like that everyday...

Keep us posted dude, I'll be around a little later, practicing up on the monthly drum challenge, gonna use some different drum sounds for it this month... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The Carvin cab is empty. I have no idea what speakers were in it.

I've got more speakers than cabs right now. I currently have 3 cabs.

I've got:
2 Greenbacks
2 WGS Green Berets
2 Vintage 30s
2 G12H30s
4 G12-65s
7 G12T-75s

So I need one more cab, and will still have speakers left over.
Rebel Yell
Roman

Post by Roman »

The Carvin cab may not look right, but it's built right. Mike Soldano in the early days always recommended them.
(He wasn't building his own cabs. Said they were built like the old Marshalls)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Roman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:19 am The Carvin cab may not look right, but it's built right. Mike Soldano in the early days always recommended them.
(He wasn't building his own cabs. Said they were built like the old Marshalls)
Like I said, if it's actual plywood and not some cheapo chipboard shit, I'll take it. It's free. Free is good. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell