Building your own cabinet?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
liv_rong

Building your own cabinet?

Post by liv_rong »

I've been wanting a 2x12 and have thoaight about building one for a while now. Jdod's thread got me thinking more about it but what do I need to know? I'll do some research of course but wanted to see what you guys thought. I've looked inside my Orange cab and it's super simple construction, same with my old mdf Marshall 1x12. I feel like I could do one in hardwood and make it look pimp. But how will it sound? I know I want closed back but don't know if depth and air space inside become a factor. Any tips or thoughts?
Greg_L

Re: Building your own cabinet?

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 8:16 pm I've been wanting a 2x12 and have thoaight about building one for a while now. Jdod's thread got me thinking more about it but what do I need to know? I'll do some research of course but wanted to see what you guys thought. I've looked inside my Orange cab and it's super simple construction, same with my old mdf Marshall 1x12. I feel like I could do one in hardwood and make it look pimp. But how will it sound? I know I want closed back but don't know if depth and air space inside become a factor. Any tips or thoughts?
You're obviously handy enough with woodworking that I'm sure you could make a killer cab.

Maybe for your first effort, just copy one of the commercially available cabs out there. Build a Mesa 2x12 clone. The specs and dimensions are readily available all over the world wide webz.

I had an oversized Avatar 2x12 a while back and it was fantastic. I wish I still had it. It sounded like a 4x12. IMO the internally larger 2x12s sound better than the space-saver 2x12s.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 8:38 pm You're obviously handy enough with woodworking that I'm sure you could make a killer cab.
+1,000,000....definitely dude, you could probably make a great cab for yourself, you're like the Bob Villa of the forum... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Go for it. It's a piece of piss..

Really. You will wonder why you never did it before.
rayc

Post by rayc »

If I could saw & nail I'd have been there and done that. Sadly being able to measure doesn't quite add up to the required skills set.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've considered making my own cab before, just 'cos I had a load of MDF laying about. If I reckon I could do it, I'm sure you can. Just I think I could buy the cab I suggested in the other thread, already loaded with V30s for what it could cost me to but decent quality wood.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

JD01 wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 7:08 am I think I could buy the cab I suggested in the other thread, already loaded with V30s for what it could cost me to but decent quality wood.
Yeah that's the thing, it will still cost money for sure but I'm thinking way less than one of similar build quality. I'd try to sell my empty cab to the guy I just sold my speaker to and keep the one that's in there now. That should cover the cost of the extra speaker I need. Then the lumber will probably be a hundred bucks or so plus handles, jacks, wire, wheels etc. I think it would still be worth it, the Mesa or Orange cabs I want are like $750, and that seemed like a lot to me.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

liv_rong wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 7:49 am
JD01 wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 7:08 am I think I could buy the cab I suggested in the other thread, already loaded with V30s for what it could cost me to but decent quality wood.
Yeah that's the thing, it will still cost money for sure but I'm thinking way less than one of similar build quality. I'd try to sell my empty cab to the guy I just sold my speaker to and keep the one that's in there now. That should cover the cost of the extra speaker I need. Then the lumber will probably be a hundred bucks or so plus handles, jacks, wire, wheels etc. I think it would still be worth it, the Mesa or Orange cabs I want are like $750, and that seemed like a lot to me.
Yeah, I suppose, building one yourself will be much higher quality. I don't know about you, but when I build stuff myself I tend to completely over-engineer everything. I have to build a wooden fence in the back garden this weekend. THe fucking thing will probably outlive me!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Oh yeah, I definitely go overboard on most stuff I build.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Now Im leaning in this direction. Affordable, solid construction and I can finish it however I want.

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I'm no slouch with the woodworking, but I would just never bother making a cab. For the sake of 250 quid, just go and buy a used Marshall 2 by or 4 by 12. No matter how well you make a cab, the resale value of an unbranded box would never be worth the work you put into it. And making a box? Jesus, there's no skill or satisfaction in doing that. For me, at least. :D
Haggard Musician :mad: