Good Deal? Cabinet?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Good Deal? Cabinet?

Post by JD01 »

Does this sound like a good deal?
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton ... oC9lfw_wcB

I looked it up 'cos I was just listening to a demo on the Thomann channel discussing different types of humbucker and they mentioned they were using this cabinet. Sounds like a good deal for the speakers alone, let alone arriving loaded in a cab!
Bubba

Re: Good Deal? Cabinet?

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:30 am Does this sound like a good deal?

I looked it up 'cos I was just listening to a demo on the Thomann channel discussing different types of humbucker and they mentioned they were using this cabinet. Sounds like a good deal for the speakers alone, let alone arriving loaded in a cab!
I regard them as kind of like Behringer. They probably do the job well, but would you really want to be seen in public with one?
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:39 am
JD01 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:30 am Does this sound like a good deal?

I regard them as kind of like Behringer. They probably do the job well, but would you really want to be seen in public with one?
haha, you could always take the labels off! I wouldn't give a shit though. I'd grow my hair long again if I could!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That's probably an adequate cab for home use.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I've never heard of that but to me the price seems pretty good. It's a plywood cabinet and comes with two v30's how can it be bad? Those speakers are like $140 new each alone. The only big brand closed back 2x12's that I can think of that come equipped with those speakers run at least $750 or so(Orange and Mesa) new. If it were me I'd give it a shot.

So then you'd run your combo speaker as well or bypass it?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

liv_rong wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 8:40 am I've never heard of that but to me the price seems pretty good. It's a plywood cabinet and comes with two v30's how can it be bad? Those speakers are like $140 new each alone. The only big brand closed back 2x12's that I can think of that come equipped with those speakers run at least $750 or so(Orange and Mesa) new. If it were me I'd give it a shot.

So then you'd run your combo speaker as well or bypass it?
Just bypass it and basically use my combo as a head until I can afford to replace it with either HT Studio 20 head or a different head.

I do want to get a bass at the end of June though - it will probably be a case of one or the other.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

That cab looks pretty crappy to me. Look around for a used Marshall cab. They have far superior construction.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

That cab would probably be ok for home use, but I'm not sure about how well it's put together...You could probably find a used *insert "big" name here* cab for about the same amount, maybe even a little less...I got my Marshall 4x12 for $350 shipped to my door ($50 was for the shipping since it was considered a "big" item...a 2x12 would probably be a lot less) from a Guitar Center somewhere in Texas...

As mentioned, the older Marshall cabs are solid, but try to make sure it's an older cab...Some of the new cabs they sell are made of MDF, which would probably be ok for home use, but it might not last too long gigging...

Marshall MX212 - $350

Marshall 1936 2x12 - $750

There's a reason for the big price difference, & it's not just the speakers, the cheaper cab is made of MDF...FWIW, the ISO cab I built, I used MDF for the outer box...While it was ok, it did tend to splinter/bust when I put screws into it to hold it together...YMMV...

The description says that cab is made from plywood, so it might be ok...

It's really up to you dude, just try to weigh all your options (which I'm sure you will/have)... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

ocnor wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 2:56 pm That cab looks pretty crappy to me. Look around for a used Marshall cab. They have far superior construction.
What makes you think that? It built out of plywood and there are no interior shots to go by. The only thing that looks shoddy to me is the tolex. But Id rather have a plywood box than mdf and a name on the front.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 6:52 pm

What makes you think that? It built out of plywood and there are no interior shots to go by. The only thing that looks shoddy to me is the tolex. But Id rather have a plywood box than mdf and a name on the front.
It does look like a typical cheap cab. That's not the end of the world for a cab that will never leave JD's living room, but it has *that look* to it. Like...look at the pics where the handles are bolted to the cab. See how the handle bends and warps around the screw locations? Flimsy. The tolex work in the corners is kind of shoddy. That's just an aesthetics thing, but if you can see that, what can't you see? And the "Made in China" tag doesn't scream high quality craftsmanship.

"Made of plywood" doesn't really say much either. MDF is considered plywood. So is chipboard. If it were made of a plywood worth mentioning, I'm sure they would have. "Voidless Birch" or "Baltic Birch" are common high-quality plywood for cabs, and companies that use that stuff always make sure they announce it.

And the sound clips are really really bright. That could be all sorts of factors, but one of them could be cheap MDF. MDF is pretty damn bright.

Little things like that are sort of red flags for me so I get where Ocnor is coming from.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I see. Yeah I saw the Tolex on the corners looking like shit. I just figured sitting in a room forever it would be ok, why spend more for a home set up. Then again I'm playing through like a $4K rig for home use so I guess I can't talk lol. It being bright may be great for that amp though haha.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 8:13 pm I just figured sitting in a room forever it would be ok,
I agree. For home use it is probably just fine.

But what if the live bug happens? Buy cheap, buy twice.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I bought a Marshall 4x12 cab. It's NOT well made - it's chipboard as Marshall lowered ALL manufacturing standards when making their valve state gear. On that wood basis alone the HB would be a better build than mine.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 8:40 pm
liv_rong wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 8:13 pm I just figured sitting in a room forever it would be ok,
I agree. For home use it is probably just fine.

But what if the live bug happens? Buy cheap, buy twice.
I'll be considering playing live again by the end of the year. Want to finished a bunch of recording songs that I'm working on first... which is taking a while as I keep getting better at recording so always want to re-do things. Mrs is off to Thailand in July for a few weeks with work so should get plenty of time to round off the last of the vocals then.