I'm selling my pointy Ibanez...

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Armistice

I'm selling my pointy Ibanez...

Post by Armistice »

.. or at least I think I am.

Never got on with it - feels like plywood, ridiculously thin neck. Anyway so a mate of mine who's poor as a church mouse and has commitment issues said he wanted to buy it. So I said..."OK.... how will you afford it?"

I gave him a complete run down on what I thought it was worth based on previous sales, and asked him to make me an offer. And he low-balled me! The nerve. Nice try pal. I've known this guy for 25 years... :eep: So I asked for $25 more than I had in mind because of that. Strangely, he agreed... :smiles: It's still a reasonable deal.

I offered reasonable payment of $475 in part payments, over time, knowing he'd never get that amount of money together in one hit without some disaster or another consuming it.

This was last year. Now from what I can glean, he persuaded his wife to buy him the guitar for a Christmas present. But he told her it was $300, not $475 - and so, over a few months, tortuously, 3 x $100 payments appeared in my account.

He lives in a small town hours away but visits occasionally, so I said "Your wife thinks she's paid for the guitar, but you still owe $175 - how are you going to manage that when you come to town and I don't give it to you and she asks about it?" - their relationship is a bit "fraught" at the best of times.

He thought about that and said he'd sort it. A week ago, another $50 appear in my account - I hadn't talked to him for ages as he'd lost his mobile and I didn't have a new number (he would be buying a new "burner" with money he could be giving me instead! :crazy: ), but I thought I'd better ring him and see what was up, and encourage some more $ out of him, so I rang the landline and we had a chat, sort of in code, seeing wifey was within earshot.

He tells me that he's coming to town in 4 or 5 weeks time and he'll settle up then and pick up the guitar. I'll believe it when I sees it! $125 still owing...

Think we made the deal in November last year. Why do I get the feeling he won't be able to pony up the $125?

There are times when I think "Just give him the damn thing!" - $125 makes no difference to me - but he's been a bit of a leech on the arse of society in many ways for most of his life and my taxes pay for his various continuing, multiple, largely-self-inflicted-damage medical treatments, and the dole, and the dental etc. etc. and when I talk to him about some of this stuff, he doesn't seem to understand that it's not "free" - we taxpayers are paying for it.... so I've decided there's a principal as stake and for his own good, he'll give me every last penny. :guru: :lollers2:

Stay tuned! :smiles:
JD01

Re: I'm selling my pointy Ibanez...

Post by JD01 »

I nearly sold my pointy ibanez last year... I put it on eBay, had loads of interest and the bids were starting. When the auction got to its last hour I decided to have a play on it then couldn't bring myself to sell it. It was worth more to me than the 300 odd quid I'd get for it. So I closed the auction with about 10 minutes to spare...

I've only picked it up about twice since then!
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Everybody should sell their pointy Ibanezes, as a matter of principle. :biggrin:

Yes, bleed him dry. He's in too far to let it go, now.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Actually, Armistice. Charge him interest. You've got him by the bollocks now.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 4:15 am Everybody should sell their pointy Ibanezes, as a matter of principle. :biggrin:
Yes.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 4:32 am Actually, Armistice. Charge him interest. You've got him by the bollocks now.
I can always sell it for whatever I can get for it and return only the difference. But I will get it out of him and, despite being a bit of a loser, he's a nice guy - just hopeless at "life". And been addicted (legitimately) to high doses of opioid pain meds forever. Which, considering he's an ex-junkie from his twenties, is exactly the worst thing for him.

When I spoke to him on the weekend he said his last operation is finally fixing his major source of pain and they've cut him right back on the med dosage, and for the first time in about 10 years I was getting glimpses of the bloke I used to know - he wasn't slurring when he spoke and he was a bit interested in the world. Nice change. Welcome back dude. :smiles:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

The offending instrument. I think I liked the colour... I just never got on with it.
P1010994.JPG
Whoops... it seems to be upside down. :biggrin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's really similar to mine. But mines a dark bronze. RG570?
Roman

Post by Roman »

Someone will love it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Roman wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 1:40 pm Someone will love it.
And make terrible awful music with it! :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Armistice wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 8:48 am he's a nice guy - just hopeless at "life". And been addicted (legitimately) to high doses of opioid pain meds forever. Which, considering he's an ex-junkie from his twenties, is exactly the worst thing for him.

When I spoke to him on the weekend he said his last operation is finally fixing his major source of pain and they've cut him right back on the med dosage, and for the first time in about 10 years I was getting glimpses of the bloke I used to know - he wasn't slurring when he spoke and he was a bit interested in the world. Nice change. Welcome back dude. :smiles:
It's really sad to see folks like this, & I've been on both sides of that fence, being a pain killer junkie myself for almost 10 years...It is possible to get your shit together though, this past February made me 10 years of being off that shit, although I have dabbled a few times with things (smoked some weed a few times, but never, ever went back to the opiates & never will), I've managed to hang in there...Life is so much better for me when I'm not throwing my guts up because I couldn't find 60-100 milligrams of some sort of pain pill just to get me through the day, every day...Life is so much better for me now too because I don't hock everything I own in order to get that 60-100 milligrams of shit just to feel normal for a day...While I never used a needle to get my fix (I saw a lot of my buddies do that shit, I was always terrified of needles), I snorted up an unreal amount of $$$ in those 10 years...If I had all that $$$ back at one time, I'd never have to worry about anything ever, & would have literally anything I could ever want, but, here I am...Live & learn...A lot of my buddies didn't live long enough to learn...I'm positive all that shit I did, combined with the stress from my job is what caused all my health problems that have kicked my ass, but again, live & learn...

I too have a pointy Ibanez with a locking trem, mine's a RG350D...I threw a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom p'up in the bridge a couple/few years ago, which made it a much better sounding guitar, but I hardly play it anymore since getting the Gibson guitars...

Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

THREE founding Rebels with these horrible things? There needs to be some kind of intervention.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:11 am That's really similar to mine. But mines a dark bronze. RG570?
470 I think. It's "New Penny" colour. Not a good pic, but it's quite bright. I don't mind the colour, or even the sounds it makes, it's the neck and the Floyd Rose that I just can't work with. Personal preference.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bubba wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 4:41 pm THREE founding Rebels with these horrible things? There needs to be some kind of intervention.
I'm doing a self-intervention and taking care of the matter. :lollers:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

couldn't you cut the points off?
zed32
Location: On the beachside combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change

Post by zed32 »

I have a pointy Ibanez!! RG470AH, sounds great but i'd never go out in public with it though :lollers:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Woohoo, looks like I have the highest spec pointy Ibanez. Not sure what the difference is between mine and Armistice's though. The pickups appear the same. Mine is MIJ though.

Since getting some more guitars I found the Ibanez a little scratchy sounding, which is probably dues to the pickups in combination with the Floyd Rose and stuff. I really don't like the Floyd Rose though, just makes simple things like string changes a pain in the arse. It does have amazing tuning stability and is really well put together though, I don't even mind the neck that much. I hate the way it looks though.

I got it in the late 90s. We were playing a lot of Metallica covers at the time.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

To hell with this circle jerk. :mad2:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:02 am To hell with this circle jerk. :mad2:
Jealous, mate?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 4:36 am Woohoo, looks like I have the highest spec pointy Ibanez. Not sure what the difference is between mine and Armistice's though. The pickups appear the same. Mine is MIJ though.

Since getting some more guitars I found the Ibanez a little scratchy sounding, which is probably dues to the pickups in combination with the Floyd Rose and stuff. I really don't like the Floyd Rose though, just makes simple things like string changes a pain in the arse. It does have amazing tuning stability and is really well put together though, I don't even mind the neck that much. I hate the way it looks though.

I got it in the late 90s. We were playing a lot of Metallica covers at the time.
Possibly the difference is the thing I also remember that I don't like - the scratchy fretboard - worst fretboard by far of all my guitars.

From what I'm reading (what have you made me do??? :lollers: ) the other differences are minor and to do with the neck and join.