I'm selling my pointy Ibanez...

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Armistice

Re: I'm selling my pointy Ibanez...

Post by Armistice »

Bubba wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:02 am To hell with this circle jerk. :mad2:
You so WANT my guitar. But you can't have it. It's sold. :lollers:

Pending full payment. :mad3:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:53 am
JD01 wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 4:36 am Woohoo, looks like I have the highest spec pointy Ibanez. Not sure what the difference is between mine and Armistice's though. The pickups appear the same. Mine is MIJ though.

Since getting some more guitars I found the Ibanez a little scratchy sounding, which is probably dues to the pickups in combination with the Floyd Rose and stuff. I really don't like the Floyd Rose though, just makes simple things like string changes a pain in the arse. It does have amazing tuning stability and is really well put together though, I don't even mind the neck that much. I hate the way it looks though.

I got it in the late 90s. We were playing a lot of Metallica covers at the time.
Possibly the difference is the thing I also remember that I don't like - the scratchy fretboard - worst fretboard by far of all my guitars.

From what I'm reading (what have you made me do??? :lollers: ) the other differences are minor and to do with the neck and join.
Mine has the smoothed of neck join to enable additional shredding.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:56 am
Armistice wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:53 am

Possibly the difference is the thing I also remember that I don't like - the scratchy fretboard - worst fretboard by far of all my guitars.

From what I'm reading (what have you made me do??? :lollers: ) the other differences are minor and to do with the neck and join.
Yeah, that's what I read.

You know - I don't even know how many frets it has... 24? In "the solo" that I know you're dying to hear, I think I got up to 14 plus some bending. What would I do with another 10? :lollers:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 6:18 am
JD01 wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:56 am
Yeah, that's what I read.

You know - I don't even know how many frets it has... 24? In "the solo" that I know you're dying to hear, I think I got up to 14 plus some bending. What would I do with another 10? :lollers:
Yeah, 24 frets. You use those extra 10 for completely wanking yourself dry.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Pointy guitar and a pointed narrative that had a point, up to a point that is.
Personally, I'm quite interested in Pointillism and some Pointillists as well as Harry Nilsson's The point - which, surprisingly, made the point that possession of a point isn't the point at all. It was pointed out to me recently that harry was moved to write The point after some LSD - the stuff that makes one's pupils rather like pin points.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:02 am To hell with this circle jerk. :mad2:
This is by far the worst thread at this site so far. :dislike:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 7:46 am Image
I saw one of those guitars at Hermes music in Houston. Mike Angelo Batio. The lol'est guitar shred retard ever. 30 frets on each neck. :cuckoo:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, MAB's music is totally un-listenable. It ceases to be music and is just a trick
muttley

Post by muttley »

rayc wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 7:24 am Pointy guitar and a pointed narrative that had a point, up to a point that is.
Personally, I'm quite interested in Pointillism and some Pointillists as well as Harry Nilsson's The point - which, surprisingly, made the point that possession of a point isn't the point at all. It was pointed out to me recently that harry was moved to write The point after some LSD - the stuff that makes one's pupils rather like pin points.
So what's your point.. :confused:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 8:11 am Yeah, MAB's music is totally un-listenable. It ceases to be music and is just a trick
That applies to any guitar shredder. They don't play songs. They play scale exercises with drums.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 10:09 am
JD01 wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 8:11 am Yeah, MAB's music is totally un-listenable. It ceases to be music and is just a trick
That applies to any guitar shredder. They don't play songs. They play scale exercises with drums.
I'm trying to think of someone who you'd normally think of as a shredder but that also plays music where you can actually draw some sort of melody out it it. Struggling actually.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 6:26 am
Yeah, 24 frets. You use those extra 10 for completely wanking yourself dry.
nah ..... I'm not a shredder but melodic solos are my specialty and I use them .... when I play any of my gits besides the Stinnett I absolutely miss the couple of extra frets.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 10:09 am
Just thought, Randy Rhoads stuff was actually melodic and expressive instead of just mindless shredding. What Bob said just reminded me of him.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 11:32 am
Just thought, Randy Rhoads stuff was actually melodic and expressive instead of just mindless shredding. What Bob said just reminded me of him.
He was just a guitar player in a band. I'm talking about those guys that are known just for being solo act guitar players. Yngwie, Vai, Satriani, Buckethead, etc...unlistenable crap.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 12:09 pm
He was just a guitar player in a band. I'm talking about those guys that are known just for being solo act guitar players. Yngwie, Vai, Satriani, Buckethead, etc...unlistenable crap.
yeah .... I can't listen to any of that shit ..... after 90 seconds I get the thousand mile stare.
Satriani's most listenable song is him playing a very old song 'Sleepwalk' which constrained him from the tweedling.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 12:09 pm
Yeah, fair point. I can't think of a guitar-player solo act that writes stuff that's listenable. Guthrie Govan maybe... but that's not so much a look at me play guitar thing, its more of a rock/jazz/fusion collective playing really weird music.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 12:18 pm Guthrie Govan
Unlistenable
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

So.... UPDATE...

I have now extracted $450 of the $475 - clearly he's had to come clean to his wife seeing she's transferred the money to me. I can, looking at the bank deposit online, feel the hatred between them... :lollers2: He is in so much trouble.

He tells me he's coming down to give me the other $25 in person and to pick it up in about a fortnight.

It's the last thing I ever sell him... just too much hard work.

I am wondering, seeing a few Ibanezes going on local facebook groups, whether I've overcharged him a little. :eep: Oh well, if so, I'll keep it ... for "pain and suffering"... :k:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 12:35 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 12:18 pm Guthrie Govan
Unlistenable
LOL - it's funny, I can't listen at all to the stuff he does with his 3 piece band - impressive technically though it is, but he's got a couple of absolutely great solos in Steven Wilson tunes. Guitarists need to be told when to play and when not to pla sometimes, for their own good.