How are you getting your tones

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: How are you getting your tones

Post by Greg_L »

If you look at it "normal" it's like a C over G. Pretty common 80s buttrock power ballad chord. Not hard to play, and it sounds like Every Rose Has It's Thorn.
Last edited by Greg_L on Tue May 09, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I still don't see how the second finger can play the second fret if the first finger is on the 3rd fret. I just don't see it. Can anyone really do this, or is there a mistake in the diagram? How do you cross your fingers like that?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 12:43 pm I still don't see how the second finger can play the second fret if the first finger is on the 3rd fret. I just don't see it. Can anyone really do this, or is there a mistake in the diagram? How do you cross your fingers like that?
Shan plays upside down.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Doesn't matter. Upside down or not. How do you get your second finger behind your first finger......like I said above. It's impossible.

I used to play upside down, too.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 12:44 pm Doesn't matter. Upside down or not. How do you get your second finger behind your first finger......like I said above. It's impossible.

I used to play upside down, too.
Maybe he drew it wrong, or maybe he can actually do it somehow. I've seen him play a few times...it is truly unnerving. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 12:47 pm Maybe he drew it wrong,
Has to be, I challenge anyone to play that chord the way it's drawn: 1st finger on the third fret (holding down 2 strings), and 2nd finger behind it on the second fret. Try it upside down, right side up, standing on your head, whatever. I submit that it's impossible.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 12:27 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 12:24 pm Agree with all of this. If i can play an full chord anywhere i will. I have found a single track of full actual chording does more for my songs than double tracking power chords.

I have no idea what chord it is i am playing but when i plug in, turn on and turn up, i play whatever the hell this is all six strings straight down wide open:

To me that sounds fucking amazing and just gets me stoked to sit and play more stuff. I am sure it has some weird fancy C chord spawn name but i wouldn't know what it's called. All i know is it just sound like beautiful power. even on an acoustic it sounds smashing to my ears.
Ok but you play upside down, so what string is what on that diagram?
Read that how you normally would. I use the same strings and frets you do. I just look like Stephen Hawking when i play given the upside down nature.
rammer24 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 12:44 pm It's impossible.
Lol. no it isn't. I do it like every time i pick up a guitar.

My pinky in on E3, ring finger is on A3, middle finger is on D2 and mr pointy finger is on B3
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ignore the "12 3" across the bottom of the diagram. those were default into the template. I didn't chnage them and it wouldn't let me take them out.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

OK, but that's not how you drew it. Aren't those numbers indicationg which finger is on what string? Your first finger is on the 3rd fret and your second finger is on the 2nd fret? I'm not saying you can't play that chord, obviously. I'm saying the way it's drawn is impossible to play. Unless I'm mis-understanding what those numbers stand for.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 12:51 pm Ignore the "12 3" across the bottom of the diagram. those were default into the template. I didn't chnage them and it wouldn't let me take them out.
OK, now you tell me. I knew it was impossible. :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 12:50 pm

Read that how you normally would. I use the same strings and frets you do. I just look like Stephen Hawking when i play given the upside down nature.

Lol. no it isn't. I do it like every time i pick up a guitar.

My pinky in on E3, ring finger is on A3, middle finger is on D2 and mr pointy finger is on B3
It' true, I've seen it!
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I used to play right handed guitars literally upside down, too, until I bought my own guitar. I still can. It freaks people out.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 12:54 pm I used to play right handed guitars literally upside down, too, until I bought my own guitar. I still can. It freaks people out.
I've hung out with Shan a few times and he's played my guitars and we went out to music stores and I watched him play all kinds of guitars, all upside down, and with fingerings that look like someone that has cerebral palsy and arthritis. To see a right-handed Les Paul played upside down with those weird chord shapes really is odd. It gives me an uneasy anxiety feeling.

But! It sounds pretty awesome. He gets a lot of cool different harmonics and overtones by striking the little strings first.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Yeah, I remember now that you do a lot of strumming upwards, too.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rammer24 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 12:54 pm I used to play right handed guitars literally upside down, too, until I bought my own guitar. I still can. It freaks people out.
Some people dig it, some people look at me like i have lobsters crawling out my ears but i just do what i do. it's a whatever. I've heard all the comments a 100 times over but the most surprising conversation i had was from Scott, the guitarist for Cancer Bats. We opened for them one time in this little community center on one of their first tours and he like stopped me as we were done and just grilled me about the how's and the why's for a few minutes and was genuinely interested in why it was a thing for me.

I want to get my tele built. :( FFS.

Another thing i thought of while we are talking about tone that i have experimenting with a bit more lately is using my neck pick up or a combo of the neck and bridge for leads and solos or anything kind of picky and plucky. up until last year i only ever used the bridge position but i am finding some meaty results with that neck and combo position. :happytrees: :happytrees:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Yeah, I use my neck pick up for leads from time to time. I like switching from neck to bridge during a solo.

To get back to the original question, I am now getting my tones from a combination of Amplitude 3 with the speaker bypassed, and running it through one of Greg's cab sims.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 1:09 pm I want to get my tele built. :( FFS.
So are you gonna get a lefty tele but strung as a righty with a right handed nut?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rammer24 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 1:17 pm Yeah, I use my neck pick up for leads from time to time. I like switching from neck to bridge during a solo.

To get back to the original question, I am now getting my tones from a combination of Amplitude 3 with the speaker bypassed, and running it through one of Greg's cab sims.
fuck. I completely forgot to tell you they were blowing out amplitude 4 last week :( The might still be on. I'll double check my email here in a sec.
JD01 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 1:21 pm So are you gonna get a lefty tele but strung as a righty with a right handed nut?
exactly. I have the kit, i just need to get it started. I am practicing some finishing techniques on some scrap basswood my lumber yard had. I figure i'd do that first than botch the kit itself.