Squire Vintage Modified vs Squire Affinity

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: Squire Vintage Modified vs Squire Affinity

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:52 am How much is that? Looks nice but I just couldn't afford a fender.
$900
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah - I definitely can't afford that sort of money on a bass.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:15 am Yeah - I definitely can't afford that sort of money on a bass.
I don't even touch my bass unless I'm tracking bass. Hell, I don't even look at it. I don't play bass live, I don't even noodle around on it. It sits on a stand getting dusty until it's time to lay a bass track. The last thing I need is a new bass.

But I'd sure like that white one sitting on a stand. I've played them at GC and they're awesome. The neck is fantastic.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I really liked the neck on the Squire Jazz I played on. I found myself just jamming away on it in a way that I never could on my shit bass.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:25 am I really liked the neck on the Squire Jazz I played on. I found myself just jamming away on it in a way that I never could on my shit bass.
That's what that Deluxe PJ has. P body with a Jazz neck and Jazz bridge pickup. So cool. It plays so fast. The only thing I don't like about it is it has that dumb thick mega-gloss Fender neck laquer. I could get over that though.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ah, I think the Squire I tried had the unlaquered neck, a lot like the Mexican telecasters I was trying before I randomly bought that PRS (which turned out to be good move). There wasn't the P/J there to try unfortunately. I definitely preferred the look and feel of the Jazz to the P and I liked the sound of the Jazz with the two single coils.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just picked my bass cash up from the shop that sold my Washburn for me... They had a white Yamaha TRBX304 active bass in, 2nd hand. £240 quid. Its basically unplayed! It still had the little plastic thing on it which tells you what each switch does.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/yam ... ductDetail
https://www.guitarinteractivemagazine.c ... x304-bass/#

This has a volume, bass cut/boost, treb cut/boost, pickup blend. Notched centre points on the relevant pots.
The weird 5 way selector are EQ presets, "Slap”, “Pick”, Flat”, Fingers” and “Solo". Seems like a lot of bass for the money. But I'm not sure I want something that complicated - I know with a Jazz, P or P/J I can just plug it in and start playing.

Its not exactly the looks I was after although I don't suppose that matters, it was a comfy bass to play and played pretty well, it was pretty clacky though, which might be a problem as I do tend to pick pretty hard. I think I'm still leaning towards a squire, but am curious what you guys think.

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Kill it with fire.

I love Yamaha gear but that looks nightmarish. :crazy:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:05 pm Kill it with fire.

I love Yamaha gear but that looks nightmarish. :crazy:
Agreed. And it's got active bass humbuckers. Blech.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Haha. Jazz it is.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just been to the shop and got a black Vintage Modified Jazz, 77. Its pretty nice, so easy to play and sounds good too.

The guy who served me was actually pretending to be interested in what I wanted and plays in a clash tribute band. Tried a few P Basses but couldn't get on with the neck. I also like the strat style knobs on the 77 as opposed to the normal bass knobs on the 70.

This is it:
https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-vint ... 7-in-black
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:57 am Just been to the shop and got a black Vintage Modified Jazz, 77. Its pretty nice, so easy to play and sounds good too.

The guy who served me was actually pretending to be interested in what I wanted and plays in a clash tribute band. Tried a few P Basses but couldn't get on with the neck. I also like the strat style knobs on the 77 as opposed to the normal bass knobs on the 70.

This is it:
https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-vint ... 7-in-black
Awesome, looks cool!
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah. Suits me. It's comfy and plays well. Maybe I'll upgrade the pickups one day. Pretty sure I'll never bother thiugh!
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Hey, JD! That's exactly the bass I bought my lad the other week! I was so impressed with the neck. Great instrument, electronics entry-level but servicable. Good buy, excellent VFM.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Nice Jdude!!! I've been wanting a new bass for a while, only a 5-string, but keep putting it off & buying other shit...I like the maple fretboard, to me, Fender/Squire guitars/basses look better with maple...Not sure what difference in the tone that would make, but again, I prefer maple over anything on a Fender/Squire...

The main reason for the 5 stringer is I drop tune the low E on my current bass, & wouldn't have to do that anymore...I gotta admit, for $100 my bass has been pretty solid, I've had it for about 7 years now...

Congrats!!! :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah. That's what I figured. It's feels nice and plays well, so provided I don't wreck it it should be good for years. I can't imagine that i will ever need a better bass even if I do decide to upgrade the pickups.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:39 pm Nice Jdude!!! I've been wanting a new bass for a while, only a 5-string, but keep putting it off & buying other shit...I like the maple fretboard, to me, Fender/Squire guitars/basses look better with maple...Not sure what difference in the tone that would make, but again, I prefer maple over anything on a Fender/Squire...

The main reason for the 5 stringer is I drop tune the low E on my current bass, & wouldn't have to do that anymore...I gotta admit, for $100 my bass has been pretty solid, I've had it for about 7 years now...

Congrats!!! :minernuggs:
I think we have the same shit bass don't we? I know they're branded differently but I think they've rolled off the same line in China. Shows how variable they are really cos mine has always been absolutely awful.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This is actually awesome. For the first time in my life I'm actually enjoying playing bass.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:42 pm I think we have the same shit bass don't we? I know they're branded differently but I think they've rolled off the same line in China. Shows how variable they are really cos mine has always been absolutely awful.
Not sure dude, I've got a Carlo Robelli 4-stringer:
CarloRobelliBass.jpg
JD01 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:08 pm This is actually awesome. For the first time in my life I'm actually enjoying playing bass.
That's great man, it makes such a difference when you like the instrument you're playing...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah. It looks identical. Mine is badged a Jim Deacon though and it was also very cheap.

Yeah. It's weird. I've never sat and just jammed away on a bass before coming up with riffs and stuff. This is actually the first time I've done it. I actually used to write basslines on my guitar then transfer them to bass.

Mines currently in the For Sale section.