Squire Vintage Modified vs Squire Affinity

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Squire Vintage Modified vs Squire Affinity

Post by JD01 »

Anyone know what the difference between these two lines is?
I'm not going to be a gigging bassist, I just want a bass that's nice to play and sounds decent recorded.
I don't have immediate access to a shop where I can try them out back to back. Basically just wondering if anyone knows anything about Squire build quality. From what I've tried on their guitars they seem pretty good. Just wondering if I should expect any massive difference in playability and sound between a P/J Affinity and a P/J Vintage Modified.
liv_rong

Re: Squire Vintage Modified vs Squire Affinity

Post by liv_rong »

Isn't Affinity their lowest line? I've heard/read great things about their vintage modified stuff though.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

liv_rong wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 1:54 pm Isn't Affinity their lowest line? I've heard/read great things about their vintage modified stuff though.
Not sure - Vintage Modified stuff is about 100 quid more expensive than the Affinity stuff.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Yeah I think Affinity is their entry level but I may be wrong, I don't look at that stuff.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Vintage modified every time. How much have you got to spend?
Haggard Musician :mad:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

There's a nice VM 70s reissue Jazz bass on that selling page I use. £175, but it's in Preston. Is that the sort of price range you're looking at?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 2:07 pm There's a nice VM 70s reissue Jazz bass on that selling page I use. £175, but it's in Preston. Is that the sort of price range you're looking at?
Well I was just thinking under 300 and I might be able to get it at the end of the month as I have quite a few expenses owing. If something cheaper and decent cam up that's even better.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

The Affinity series is just barely above a toy. My niece had one years ago and I was pretty appalled with its fit and finish. My friend has a vintage modified Tele and a J-bass as well. The Tele is just OK, the bass is great except for the pickups. That bass feels excellent, was setup very well, and plays great.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers Tad. I'll shop around for any 2nd hand bargains that come up over the month and then probably get a VM Squire when I get paid. The pickups aren't gonna be any worse than my current ones.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 3:37 pm Cheers Tad. I'll shop around for any 2nd hand bargains that come up over the month and then probably get a VM Squire when I get paid. The pickups aren't gonna be any worse than my current ones.
I wouldnt bet on it Squire pups are some of the cheapest and worst sounding out there. Thats one of the key areas that they cut costs with. As for build quality I've seem good and bad in all the squire range. Its a shit shoot really....
JD01

Post by JD01 »

My current bass was the cheapest I could find. It's branded Jim Deacon.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I have a 20yr old Squier P-Bass. I've never done anything to it besides string changes and setups. I love it! It's light and fast and sounds great through anything.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 3:54 pm My current bass was the cheapest I could find. It's branded Jim Deacon.
Sounds as if it ought to be branded a Joey Deacon (google if you're too young) :biggrin:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 5:36 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 3:54 pm My current bass was the cheapest I could find. It's branded Jim Deacon.
Sounds as if it ought to be branded a Joey Deacon (google if you're too young) :biggrin:
Haha. We still called people Joeys when I was in school.
zed32
Location: On the beachside combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change

Post by zed32 »

I have a VM 70's Jazz bass and it's fantastic. I'll see if I can find some sound clips on the ol' computer.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've just stuck an expenses claim in for £392 quid - while I know its false economy its still cash that's already left my account and I've forgotten about so it feels like guitar savings.

I'm gonna re-string my crappy old Honer Rockwood P Bass and see if I can intonate it and get it to play nice next week too. It always played a bit nicer than the the Jim Deacon but never sounded as nice which I put down to the J Pickup in the Jim Deacon
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

FWIW, I have one of these:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-vintage ... urst/85206

I paid £250ish new a few years back and it's well worth it and more, IMHO.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

jonny deep wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 11:06 am FWIW, I have one of these:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-vintage ... urst/85206

I paid £250ish new a few years back and it's well worth it and more, IMHO.
Yeah - that's exactly the sort of thing I am looking at - I was looking at a P/J though - I thought the J might be a bit too twangy for me, especially when I seem to already have a problem with things being a bit too twangy.

Seems like most people are agreed that the VM squires are the best bang for buck for a recording bass though, I'm in Bristol next week so I'll go and pick up some new strings for my crappy old Honer Rockwood P Bass and try out a couple of VM squires if they have any in stock too.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I just bought a Squier VM 70s Jazz bass for Frank's birthday as he has expressed an interest in learning. Black body and scratchplate, bound maple neck with block pearloid fret markers. Up for £180 on an FB gear for sale page but I offered him £150 when he told me the input had stopped working. Drove over to Headingley (Leeds), popped off the control plate, spotted the detached wire, tested that the pickups worked and did the deal. It's a very nice bass for the price. Oh, and it took longer for the soldering iron to warm up than it did to do the repair. :smug:
jazz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Awesome. Tell me how that plays, mate. I'm still after one will probably just be delayed till July.