The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by Greg_L »

cakewalkKaKed wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:20 pm
edit:- btw bin the built in reverb to ... i think the tone your looking for doesn't have any .. or very,very little ;)
I agree. Reverb on heavy guitars is okay as long as you can't hear it. It's one of those things like you don't even know it's there until it isn't. That's when you know it's just right. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers miner.

Cake, the verb is just cos I bounced the track straight out of a prelim mix I was working on.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Congrats James - better n better. The HB cab is pretty cool. I had heard good things about them & know I've heard someone I have some knowledge of using one. Big diff.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Here's my first run through with the new/old Plexi here at home. Goddamn this thing roars. :eep:

Gibson Les Paul Custom - Bare Knuckles Riff Raff bridge pickup
Marshall Super Lead 100w
Presence - 5
Bass - 6
Mid - 7
Treb - 6
Vol 1 - 8
Vol 2 - 0
Top input 1 only
Marshall 1960B 4x12 - Celestion G12-65
Shure SM57 on axis on grill center, SM57 on grill off axis ~30 degrees right next to center mic
50/50 blend
No EQ or FX in DAW

Just getting to know this old thing.
LPCSL10065.mp3
See what you think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

I wanna hear that feedback go into full bloom...
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
rayc

Post by rayc »

At 1st I though it was a little thin but after a few seconds when you changed the progression it came to life. Very cool.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

SweetDan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:20 pm I wanna hear that feedback go into full bloom...
Maybe next time.
rayc wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:50 pm At 1st I though it was a little thin but after a few seconds when you changed the progression it came to life. Very cool.
Thanks Ray. I'm just getting familiar with it. So far I really like how tight and punchy it is. It's very responsive.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Sounds great, man. it's got a lot of saturation and body to it. Those palm-muted notes on the plain strings really showcase it. That's a pretty hairy sound!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:27 pm Sounds great, man. it's got a lot of saturation and body to it. Those palm-muted notes on the plain strings really showcase it. That's a pretty hairy sound!
Thanks Tad. Yeah that's like a hair away from fully cranked. I like how it stays tight and tidy though on single notes. I'm gonna have some fun figuring this thing out.
Rebel Yell
cakewalkKaKed
Location: wallowing in a particular insanity of any given time

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

congrats greg,nice find :D .. (only slightly jealous ... ok a LOT :P :P :P)

at 1:29 in that clip theres what appears to be a valve "ping" ..

anyhoo,amp sounds very squishy !!!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

cakewalkKaKed wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:32 am congrats greg,nice find :D .. (only slightly jealous ... ok a LOT :P :P :P)

at 1:29 in that clip theres what appears to be a valve "ping" ..

anyhoo,amp sounds very squishy !!!
Thanks man. Squishy is good. That's how I describe it too - squishy! I like that.

I went back and listened, I think that "ping" is just finger squeak as I'm changing chords and muting at the same time. But I'll look out for it. New tubes are on the horizon anyway. I still haven't even checked the bias yet. :facepalm:
Rebel Yell
cakewalkKaKed
Location: wallowing in a particular insanity of any given time

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

100% sure your on it .. i thought maybe with the new amp your ears be listening in other places :)

WOOOHOOOOO !!! thought id have to explain squishy ... all hail valves \o/ :D
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

It does sound good dude, but like you said in you NAD thread, there are folks who probably don't hear the subtleties between the NMV amps you have, & I'm lumped in that bunch at the moment, but I do have a shit-load of your clips, so I could probably do some A/B'ing if I wanted to get technical... :smiles:

I can say that I can only imagine how fuckin' loud that thing is, I remember my EL34 amps were a magical thing when pushed past a certain level, shit literally vibrated/fell off the walls from it... :shock:

Something else I've been meaning to tell all you guys, I'm almost done buying e-drum shit, & have plans to start back with the amp stable again...I'd started to build a diy acoustic shell to e-drum kit, but I don't have the room, & after thinking about it, it'd only be for looks anyway, so I scratched that idea, the kit/pads I have is more than good enough...Superior Drummer 3 was just released too, but I'm waiting a little while to avoid the server crashes, to be able to download it all with minimum trouble, all 230 GB of it... :eep:
After I get SD3 (which won't be long now), my first step for the amp stable will be an attenuator, most likely the 200w Weber, so, with a little safety precaution, I'll be able to use any speaker/cab I have, with any amp...The Rivera attenuators look really nice, but they cost about 2x what the Weber does...After that, I'll be on the hunt for a couple amps, in particular a 2204, & possibly a plexi-ish amp like another Chupa, possibly...But the new ISO cab & attenuator are must-have items until I can move back to the boonies again...
I simply don't wanna destroy any of my gear, & I just cannot get booted from here because of noise... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Okay here's something a little different but more of the same but a little different but the same because I sound the same no matter what.

This is a try at a raunchy bright twangy psychosurfabilly-ish tone with the new amp. My ears are pretty tired so I don't know.

Hallmark 60 Custom - Custom "Fat Pig" ceramic single coil bridge pickup
Marshall Super Lead 100
Presence - 5
Bass - 8
Mid - 4
Treb - 6
Vol 1 - 2
Vol 2 - 0
Bright channel - high input
Marshall 1960A 4x12 - Celestion G12M Greenback
Shure SM57 on axis, 2" off grill, dustcap/cone seam - Shure SM57 45 deg off axis right next to the other one
50/50 blend
No FX or EQ in DAW

Transsexual Mutant Monster Beach Party On Mars
HlmrkSL100GB.mp3
See whatcha think
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:09 pm Okay here's something a little different but more of the same but a little different but the same because I sound the same no matter what.

This is a try at a raunchy bright twangy psychosurfabilly-ish tone with the new amp. My ears are pretty tired so I don't know.

Hallmark 60 Custom - Custom "Fat Pig" ceramic single coil bridge pickup
Marshall Super Lead 100
Presence - 5
Bass - 8
Mid - 4
Treb - 6
Vol 1 - 2
Vol 2 - 0
Bright channel - high input
Marshall 1960A 4x12 - Celestion G12M Greenback
Shure SM57 on axis, 2" off grill, dustcap/cone seam - Shure SM57 45 deg off axis right next to the other one
50/50 blend
No FX or EQ in DAW

Transsexual Mutant Monster Beach Party On Mars
HlmrkSL100GB.mp3

See whatcha think
Sounds pretty good dude, lots of high end, but it may sit perfectly in a mix...Pretty raunchy sounding indeed, well done... :minernuggs:

I've been wondering, have you used your attenuator with the new amp yet??? I'm thinking of buying one like you have to be able to go somewhat big again with the ISO cab...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg,
That's bright in the way that psychosurfabilly should be.
That song is cool - I'll have to dig out the CD and play it.
The amp seems to do that thing well.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:31 pm
Sounds pretty good dude, lots of high end, but it may sit perfectly in a mix...Pretty raunchy sounding indeed, well done... :minernuggs:

I've been wondering, have you used your attenuator with the new amp yet??? I'm thinking of buying one like you have to be able to go somewhat big again with the ISO cab...
Yup, I have used it. I'd be totally deaf without it. :crazy:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:02 pm Greg,
That's bright in the way that psychosurfabilly should be.
That song is cool - I'll have to dig out the CD and play it.
The amp seems to do that thing well.
Thanks Ray. I haven't played that song in a long time! I'm surprised I remembered it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That sounds great, Greg - sounds like you're playing much faster than the album version though!

I do like the sound of that pickup.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:06 am That sounds great, Greg - sounds like you're playing much faster than the album version though!

I do like the sound of that pickup.
Thanks dude. Yeah the pickup is pretty cool. It's pretty hot for a single coil.
Rebel Yell