The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rammer24

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by rammer24 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:35 pm I played a Rockerverb 100 last weekend and it sounded pretty much just like that video. Great amp.
Amplitube has a lot of different Orange sims (Rockverb, Tiny Terror, and many others). They have a cool sound, but they're all dark. A lot darker than what I hear in that FREE video.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:46 am Amplitube has a lot of different Orange sims (Rockverb, Tiny Terror, and many others). They have a cool sound, but they're all dark. A lot darker than what I hear in that FREE video.
His tone also wasn't that dirty in the video. Even his lead tone - it's similar to old Angus tone. Biting, edgy, not drowning in gain. Low gain - huge volume will do that.

And as always, there's no telling what kind of mic placement or EQ was applied through the soundboard, mixing, etc.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

He reminded me of Angus actually. The way he bent notes and sustained them rather than blow all over the neck. I love that biting tone.

Sorry Ray, don't mean to derail your issue. I probably shouldn't have even put this in the Tone thread.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Rami, discussing the player, the method and the gear is what the TTT is about.
I threw in an aside really.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:57 am That's a good thing Ray. Paring down stuff you don't need would probably benefit all of us.
But your search for tone is a simple one. It's hiding in plain sight. :nyuk:
Yeah, getting closer to that. Just need the tech now.
I'll see how the store deals with my guitars before asking them questions about a mod to the Marshall.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I can't keep up to you guys, I just poked my head in here and i am 9 pages pehind since my last visit.

Shit.
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rammer24 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:46 am
Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:35 pm I played a Rockerverb 100 last weekend and it sounded pretty much just like that video. Great amp.
Amplitube has a lot of different Orange sims (Rockverb, Tiny Terror, and many others). They have a cool sound, but they're all dark. A lot darker than what I hear in that FREE video.
If i have learned anything from the Orange in my basement is that it isn't a high gain kind of amp. The more gain i pour into the signal the darker it gets, even with the Orange Package amplitube sims they sort of have that feel when monkeying around with the controls. Alot of what orange does well it does with volume and stuff. orange wants to crunch and at an eye melting volume. that's the sweet spot. Even the bigger ones like to 50 and 100 rockerberbs get cloudy when you pour on the gain. dark and fuzzy. I think that is why they are so popular with the stoner metal fuzz rock bands.

For every day rock and shit like that use the gain sparingly. From my experience. I might also just be describing every amp out there too. :confused:

I have a cover that is pretty close to being done so when it is i'll post it up. It was orignally tracked with sims and sounded like dicks, then i retracked with the orange when i brought it home and i have sinced re tracked it again since i started screwing around with mic placment and really dialing away at the knobs on the AD30. If i can find some old reference tracks i'll postthose too. In hindsight i should have been keeping a running record of them. oops.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:26 pm I can't keep up to you guys, I just poked my head in here and i am 9 pages pehind since my last visit.

Shit.
Sort your shit out, WJ
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:04 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:26 pm I can't keep up to you guys, I just poked my head in here and i am 9 pages pehind since my last visit.

Shit.
Sort your shit out, WJ
thats strike two PRinceSs....
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:08 pm

thats strike two PRinceSs....
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Been messing about with my tones the last week or so before I crack on and start writing some new stuff.

I think the tones on this are pretty good actually. This is all my custom with the Mutt-Bucker, one side is using the OCD as a clean boost, the other is using the SD1 as the clean boost, The SD1 is slightly darker but also lower gain.

Dunno if I'll contiunue with this song yet, its a bit de-la-cheeze, I'll see how it sounds when I add some riffage to it.
E Mixolydian.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Sounds pretty good here on my Monitor Audio speakers which are pretty damned honest. For my ears the guitars could come forward in the mix a bit and the drums sit a bit lower but that would depend on where you may want to go if you work up any thing else from it. Sounds a little bit linear to me thats all. Its well constructed though and I like it so far. Glad the MuttPup is working for you..
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, this isn't a mix at all and the guitars will be retracked if/when the song is written. Think the tone is pretty good though.
muttley

Post by muttley »

The tone is good mate. I just had to search for it a bit with my tired old ears...;)

I like it.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Not my video (obviously), but this is an amp that's been on my radar for a while...I like the low-watt footprint, but not sure if the 6V6 power tubes will deliver like EL34's...To me, this sounds pretty damn good, in the description it gives the signal chain (Epi LP > 2202 > 2x12 w/Scumback H75-PVC > SM57 > Focusrite 2i2), but I'm not sure it's been "doctored" with eq or whatever...

I'd like to hear what the Tone-Tards think of this, there are a few more clips of this amp, but they're recorded with a cell phone, so this is the first clip I've heard using gear similar to what I'd be using...

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nacMMPlTXqA[/BBvideo]

EDIT:
Looks like (or I should say sounds like) this is a proper mic'd clip from Ceriatone's site...

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy5bzQBNCVA[/BBvideo]

Lemme know what you guys think...I've been wanting one of these & it may become a reality before too long...I'm most likely gonna go ahead with the new ISO cab build that would put me one step closer to another amp...or three... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

The "Sweet Child O Mine" riff did it for me. :D

I can't comment on how close it is to a Marshall JCM800, as I don't own one to be intimately familiar with all its tones...but you gotta consider that all these amps have a lot of knobs, and moving 1-2 of them just a little, usually changes things noticeably.
IOW...can only a Marshall JCM800 do that tone, and is there only one tone that it can do?
I know the answer is no...and I'm not looking to offend any Marshall fans at all...just saying that even 10 vintage Marshal JCM800 amps don't all sound the same.

AFA the sound of the Ceriatone 2202...and the 6V6 tubes...yeah, there's a difference between them and EL34 tubes, though I always considered the 6V6 to be like the kid brother of the EL34 tube. They both have a bit of that "squish" in the low-mids, with the 6V6 showing a bit more growl, while the EL34 a bit more punch. That said...the tones in the videos are pretty good...but again, you can probably find a lot more with twist of the knobs.

I lieu of an EL34 amp...I would rather use a 6V6 amp that's trying to do the crunch thing instead of an EL84 amp, which IMO sucks at it, and I've never been able to get comfortable with EL84 amps doing fat crunch/distortion tones. There's always something fizzy about them....they're better off doing the Vox-ish chimey thing, IMO...and I've had, and sold every EL84 amp sooner than later. I don't have any more, and will probably never buy another one.

My current roster is EL34 and 6V6 amps...though I have to say, that last year when I got my fist Carol-Ann (the OD2r)...I was amazed at how much I liked the 6L6 sound of the amp. I'm really liking the clarity and the crunch, plus the low end is like super fucking tight.
Last edited by miroslav on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

You guys remember Grimtraveller?

Good times. Good times.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Why did you mention him...?

Yeah, I use to wonder if he would ever come back.
I thought he got a bad rap on HR for absolutely no reason, and just got tried of being slammed.
He was a good guy.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:00 pm Not my video (obviously), but this is an amp that's been on my radar for a while...I like the low-watt footprint, but not sure if the 6V6 power tubes will deliver like EL34's...To me, this sounds pretty damn good, in the description it gives the signal chain (Epi LP > 2202 > 2x12 w/Scumback H75-PVC > SM57 > Focusrite 2i2), but I'm not sure it's been "doctored" with eq or whatever...

I'd like to hear what the Tone-Tards think of this, there are a few more clips of this amp, but they're recorded with a cell phone, so this is the first clip I've heard using gear similar to what I'd be using...

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nacMMPlTXqA[/BBvideo]

EDIT:
Looks like (or I should say sounds like) this is a proper mic'd clip from Ceriatone's site...

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy5bzQBNCVA[/BBvideo]

Lemme know what you guys think...I've been wanting one of these & it may become a reality before too long...I'm most likely gonna go ahead with the new ISO cab build that would put me one step closer to another amp...or three... :minernuggs:
I'd say those do a pretty damn fine job of sounding like a real JCM 800. Bright, cutting, grinding mids, tight low end, pretty good. Get one.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:27 pm I'd say those do a pretty damn fine job of sounding like a real JCM 800. Bright, cutting, grinding mids, tight low end, pretty good. Get one.
That's what I thought too dude, where it's got the gain/tone switches, it'd probably cover what the Chupa did too, or a close approximation...

In the 2nd vid, you can see him mess with the ppimv, which is the knob on the far left...I have no idea how loud that was in the room, but I think it sounds pretty fuckin' good...The new ISO cab build would take care of the noise issue for me, so I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on one before too much longer...The ISO cab has to come first though, as it'd be sitting around not being used (like my EVH LBX) until I can do something about the noise...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs: