The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Minerman

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:08 pm Shit miner those all sound pretty damn good. Even the single mic clips sound good to me. Very well done!
Thanks man, do you hear that static I mentioned???

It's not prominent while playing hard or letting a chord ring, but when the sound trails off is when I hear it...

I gotta say I'm pretty damn happy with this new ISO build, I wish I had a bigger amp to try, but the 15w EVH is pretty loud for a small amp...Looks like all the extra shit like the green glue & double walls I did to this thing paid off...

I've got a few of those rubber/cork/rubber pads left & I might screw 'em to the inside of the outer lid so some of that rattling I keep mentioning might stop...I don't think it affects the mics/recordings, but it'd still be nice to get it knocked out...

Again, I think this ISO cab is the shizzle, I'm really happy with it... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 pm

Thanks man, do you hear that static I mentioned???
No but I wasn't looking for it either. I'll check again later.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Minerman,
\ COOL & heaps of options - as Greg said - they all sound cool. I do like the blends a LOT though.
Cheers
rayc
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rayc wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:06 am Minerman,
\ COOL & heaps of options - as Greg said - they all sound cool. I do like the blends a LOT though.
Thanks Ray!!! I'm liking this thing a lot man, lots of options & it's really quiet in the room...

I moved the latches so they'd put a little more pressure on the lid & it seemed to help the rattling I mentioned...I haven't swapped any tubes out yet, I've just been so happy to be able to use my amp, I haven't bothered...

I just put the G12-65 re-issue in there, & was able to do so without moving the mics... :biggrin:
I will have to swap the wingnuts that hold the speaker on the baffle, they're hitting the frame of the speaker when I tighten 'em down, but that's not a big deal...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

guess who figured out how to turn off off his audio enhancements on his work computer !!! :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like:

I can now review more tones on my lunch breaks and stuff. Stoooked. Gonna go heat up my lemon grass chicken thing and have a gander at some tones and songs. Still on ear buds but better than compressed garbage manipulation i am used to.
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:20 pm
Greg_L wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:47 am They're mono you mongo. :D

The single one sounds pretty good though.
LOL - Shit-Bollock. Was fucking about with mono mixing and totally dry mixing with this one and mixed them fucking mono. haha.

Here they are in Stereo:

Double tracked
Test PreChor and Chor Double tracked.mp3
Mix
Test PreChor and Chor Mix.mp3
JD, tones are way better your 2x12 was a sweet move. Although they are still kind of thin once they migrate to a rhythm role playing chords. Palm muted stuff sounds much better and has way more life in the bottom end of it then your older set up. Your noodling, riffing translates really well out into a mix and feels more alive.

I have no solution as to why it may sort of bottom out like that when you get into some straight chord strumming. like if i can hear that nice low end in your palm muting i can't pin point why it vanishes in the chords. Do you still have an EQ pedal in the signal chain somewhere with some freq's bumped down?
Minerman wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:55 pm Signal chain:
SG > EVH LBX > Greenback > i5/e609 (raw tracks, no eq or anything in the daw)

Amp settings:
15w mode
  • Resonance: 2-3
    Gain: 1
    Bass: 8
    Mid: 4
    Treble: 4
    Volume: 8
    Presence: 6

I thought it'd be cool to put a pic of the mic positions in the SC thing so you guys could see how I've got 'em set up...

Lemme know what you think...
Miner these all sound really good man. I think all the hard work paid off. Very cool little project. I think if i had to pick standouts, my ears really liked the Blue Blend and E609 Blue on it's own. those are some tones i can get behind. I really wouldn't think these came from an isolated sound source. I have heard some pretty sad tones come from iso boxes but i think you out did yourself with this project.

I didn't look to hard but did you post an kind of cleanish tones? I'd be curious to hear what you could do with some clean noise with this thing. For shits.
:happytrees:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:29 pm Miner these all sound really good man. I think all the hard work paid off. Very cool little project. I think if i had to pick standouts, my ears really liked the Blue Blend and E609 Blue on it's own. those are some tones i can get behind. I really wouldn't think these came from an isolated sound source. I have heard some pretty sad tones come from iso boxes but i think you out did yourself with this project.

I didn't look to hard but did you post an kind of cleanish tones? I'd be curious to hear what you could do with some clean noise with this thing. For shits.
Thanks man, it really shocked me how good this thing sounded the first time I tried it, & it really shocked me how quiet it is in the room...My little EVH amp is only 15w, but it's a very loud-ass 15w, so again I'm surprised & very happy with the amount of noise it kills...I'm not sure one single thing did the trick on the noise, most likely everything, the rockwool/roxul, the green glue, & doubled walls all did their part together...I know I keep on about how quiet it is, but I'm really shocked & really happy with it... :biggrin:

I plan to get a bigger amp eventually, although I don't think it'd kill as much noise using a 50w, it still surprised the shit outta me... :smiles:

There's a clean tone in one of the mix clips dude, & I'm getting ready to track some clean stuff this evening, so I'll throw a clip or two up for you to check out...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

JD01

Post by JD01 »

Thanks WJ, I still have an EQ pedal in the chain but it’s really only for a notch at 400.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I tried some experiments in tone today. I've long read & heard of the use of a tiny Pignose as a pre or effect going into an amp.
I tried micing the Pig, micing the 4 x 12, micing both at once etc. I know good tone can be had from the pignose but, crikey, I'm struggling to get it.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:40 am I tried some experiments in tone today. I've long read & heard of the use of a tiny Pignose as a pre or effect going into an amp.
I tried micing the Pig, micing the 4 x 12, micing both at once etc. I know good tone can be had from the pignose but, crikey, I'm struggling to get it.
I think you need a to blend in a room mic when using a pignose.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:49 am I think you need a to blend in a room mic when using a pignose.
THAT'S a good idea - I'll try it.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Delivery of my amp for modification bit the dust as the missus came home very late from a bad day. I notified the tech and this morning he contacted me and said he'd come & get it as he's in the neighbourhood around midday!
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:15 pm Delivery of my amp for modification bit the dust as the missus came home very late from a bad day. I notified the tech and this morning he contacted me and said he'd come & get it as he's in the neighbourhood around midday!
Awesome!
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

The amp was collected 1/2 an hour ago. Tech said he won't be able to get to it for a week BUT finally and to Greg's profound relief, (so that he doesn't have to yet again tell me to stop whining and get the amp modded), I've done it. The Superlead and P.P.I.M.V. mods are happening.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:56 am The amp was collected 1/2 an hour ago. Tech said he won't be able to get to it for a week BUT finally and to Greg's profound relief, (so that he doesn't have to yet again tell me to stop whining and get the amp modded), I've done it. The Superlead and P.P.I.M.V. mods are happening.
Lol. If it all goes well, I think you're gonna like it.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rayc wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:56 am The amp was collected 1/2 an hour ago. Tech said he won't be able to get to it for a week BUT finally and to Greg's profound relief, (so that he doesn't have to yet again tell me to stop whining and get the amp modded), I've done it. The Superlead and P.P.I.M.V. mods are happening.
Awesome Ray, I bet it'll be a totally different beast, & you're gonna love the difference, especially the PPIMV... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rayc

Post by rayc »

Minerman wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:50 am Awesome Ray, I bet it'll be a totally different beast, & you're gonna love the difference, especially the PPIMV... :minernuggs:
The tech said that the last PPIMV he did, quite recently though not to a Superbass, left the owner very, very happy.
He said the bloke complained about the lack of tone with his amp when he brought it to him so the tech set everything at 7 and then hammered a chord. The owner's response was WOW - THAT's the tone. BUT he didn't like the volume and wanted to keep his face.
Job was done & he was as happy as he was with the face melting tone.
The tech is a couple of years older than me, play three nights a week and was quite enthusiastic.
Here I am with fingers crossed.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I guess I should actually record something, but I've spent hours and hours since I got my tele with it just plugged straight into my Laney amp with a touch of reverb, clean channel, just playing. Neck pick up mainly - bridge is a bit spanky via that amp.

I haven't had that experience with a guitar for ages - where it just makes you want to play. I'm working up a few new song ideas at the same time, rather than just noodling aimlessly.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Interesting new vid from Johan. I like Coronets as it is & hearing one in isolation is cool BUT the thing that grabbed me was the difference the room mic made...
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_KKiS8Qio4[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rayc wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:36 pm Interesting new vid from Johan. I like Coronets as it is & hearing one in isolation is cool BUT the thing that grabbed me was the difference the room mic made...
Cool stuff Ray, I like Johan's vids a lot, he's a bonafide Marshall nut... :biggrin:

Any news on the amp dude??? Pretty curious to hear it, & also curious what you'll think of it when you get it back... :jam:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH