The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
cakewalkKaKed
Location: wallowing in a particular insanity of any given time

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Thanks,

The newer settings are a bit brighter and not quite as thick in those low mids. I used to have the bass at 9 and the mid at 9 and those have since been rolled off to Bass-7 and Mid-8 after having mucked about with mic placement a little more. As soon as i moved the mic to where it's now you could really hear what the amp was doing. It was mostly right over the cap and just like a 1/4 inch off of it's centre straight west. No idea how i managed to get it there.

Am i over listening or something though do you guys hear that sort of boxy cartony sound? Maybe i am over listening? I mean it's only really 3 chord shit punk and i shouldn't over analyze it. it could also be that is a characteristic i don't like so maybe my ears are picking up just enough of it to not like it. Do ya'll ever experience this?

it could also be i don't do it enough haha.
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

cakewalkKaKed wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:02 pm wouldnt let me attach .. sooooo

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 5557725562
I think it's only mp3's that can be attached. I don't know that i have set for wav's to attach.

Can i ask why the delay on the right side? Why not both sides?
:happytrees:
cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm

I think it's only mp3's that can be attached. I don't know that i have set for wav's to attach.

Can i ask why the delay on the right side? Why not both sides?
ahhh,right .. np,better to have mp3 onsite imo .. noticed after uploading the wav was around 12meg ..

it was the left i delayed btw,i have a controller, and didnt look at the plug ... but,delay the opposite side to the side you want to stand out,it gives the feel of pan,but keeps em wide ... that clipsie is what id do ish for a single guitar track mix.imo your dialed in tone is perfect for a vocal to sit right on top ...
cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:10 pm Thanks,

The newer settings are a bit brighter and not quite as thick in those low mids. I used to have the bass at 9 and the mid at 9 and those have since been rolled off to Bass-7 and Mid-8 after having mucked about with mic placement a little more. As soon as i moved the mic to where it's now you could really hear what the amp was doing. It was mostly right over the cap and just like a 1/4 inch off of it's centre straight west. No idea how i managed to get it there.

Am i over listening or something though do you guys hear that sort of boxy cartony sound? Maybe i am over listening? I mean it's only really 3 chord shit punk and i shouldn't over analyze it. it could also be that is a characteristic i don't like so maybe my ears are picking up just enough of it to not like it. Do ya'll ever experience this?

there is no "3 chord shit " .. it either sounds good or it doesn't,that's all ... mostly its down to how its recorded

im guilty as hell at over listening,what i try to do now is quickly tweak then take a break,listen to tv or whatever for 10 mins (least till ive forgotten ) and come back ... adjust and fook orf for 10 ... no way i can make a balanced decision sitting there for an hour messing ... those weird tone things,rattles will still be there (maybe) but if their not really obvious who`s gonna notice ?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:10 pm Thanks,

It could be that you have a sound in your head that you're just not getting from your current setup. Everything "off" about it stands out.

I don't think it sounds especially "boxy". It really sounds Orange to me.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

New quote just in AUS$150. Rather cheaper than AUS$500 & I think freight will be a little cheaper as well. This is the same bloke who worked on it a few years back - after he serviced it he said...
It needed two new output tubes.
For some reason one side of the push/output stage had failed (no obvious cause found).
It may have been tube failure.
Either way, the tubes are definitely cooked so need to be replaced (original spec. valves for the amp).
Some repair work on the main circuit board and re-bias of the output stage.
Noise problem in the presence control circuit and replacing the offending parts instantly cured the noise issue.
Checked the output transformer and bias circuit.
All seem to be good.

Seems like this chap may be the better as well as cheaper option. He shut down his business a year ago but has revived it so is now available to do the work.
Cheers
rayc
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rayc wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:13 am New quote just in AUS$150. Rather cheaper than AUS$500 & I think freight will be a little cheaper as well. This is the same bloke who worked on it a few years back - after he serviced it he said...
It needed two new output tubes.
For some reason one side of the push/output stage had failed (no obvious cause found).
It may have been tube failure.
Either way, the tubes are definitely cooked so need to be replaced (original spec. valves for the amp).
Some repair work on the main circuit board and re-bias of the output stage.
Noise problem in the presence control circuit and replacing the offending parts instantly cured the noise issue.
Checked the output transformer and bias circuit.
All seem to be good.

Seems like this chap may be the better as well as cheaper option. He shut down his business a year ago but has revived it so is now available to do the work.
$150 is way better than $500 Ray, hope you get that beast lined out how you want man, my favorite guitar tones come from that style of amp...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

This is what I've found to convert Super Bass to Super Lead:

Two .1s in the phase inverter TO .022 - this may not do much
One .022 on the high side of V1 TO .0022
Change V1 to split cathode add a .68 cap and 2.K resistor
Change the two 250pf caps on the board to 500pf
Add a second .68 cathode cap across the 820 ohm (or 1K) cathode resistor at V2
Change 56K slope resistor TO 33K in tone stack
Feedback resistor - optional, may be 47K, should be 100K
Add 500pf bright cap to the volume 1 pot (optional, some like it, some don't, and the value is optional

Take it to a tech. This seems like a lot, but it should take less than an hour.

And you might as well have a PPIMV installed too.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:33 pm And you might as well have a PPIMV installed too.
I'd highly recommend this Ray, those amps are scary loud & it'd make it a bit easier to get it wound up without blowing the windows out of your house dude...

Pretty anxious to see & hear the results when you get your beast runnin' Ray... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

:D

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGjaMpMZBrg[/BBvideo]

biased me post,this first time i heard of this mod,and the 1st vid i saw,buhhhhtttt from that 1 clip
... imo its much more destructive to the sound than an attenuator ...
cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

HOLY SHIT !!!

\o/ this is squishy as hell !!! :D

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz1zQ-tCABU[/BBvideo]
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Two things about that Johan vid:

1) Wrong amp for a PPIMV.
2) When you turn any amp down to a level where the physical act of hitting the strings is as loud as the amp, they don't sound good anyway.

The PPIMV is great for non-master volume amps. So is an attenuator. Either/or. But nothing will preserve the sound when going from cranked to whisper. It's impossible.
Rebel Yell
cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:16 am Two things about that Johan vid:

1) Wrong amp for a PPIMV.
2) When you turn any amp down to a level where the physical act of hitting the strings is as loud as the amp, they don't sound good anyway.

The PPIMV is great for non-master volume amps. So is an attenuator. Either/or. But nothing will preserve the sound when going from cranked to whisper. It's impossible.
you see squishy mod post above yours? fook me,downloaded and got it on loop :D

first vid i posted in horror,thought the mod was throwing his cash away .. meh! shoulda known better :)

/wants modded marshall :(
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

cakewalkKaKed wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:39 am

you see squishy mod post above yours? fook me,downloaded and got it on loop :D

first vid i posted in horror,thought the mod was throwing his cash away .. meh! shoulda known better :)

/wants modded marshall :(
Lol. I did that same mod to one of mine. It's okay. Too hair metal for me. But it does the trick if you want that sound. :metal:
Rebel Yell
cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:47 am

Lol. I did that same mod to one of mine. It's okay. Too hair metal for me. But it does the trick if you want that sound. :metal:
tooooo Haleny for me too,but defo fun to have it on tap :D .. love how those chords come out,doesn't seem to be a bad note on his neck ,,, its bloody lovely :D

still blown away with that mod,have to look into it :nyuk:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

The guy in the 2nd vid is a regular (or used to be anyway, I don't go there much anymore) at the Marshall forum...Same username as his vid "Michael RT"...Great player & seems to be pretty good at mods...A while back he bought a trashed 200w Major & brought it back to life, plus did some gain mods...It turned out ok, but to me, it sounded like the rest of his amps, very VH-ish...I know the player has a lot to do with that too, & he's an EVH freak so...

I remember when Greg did the one wire mod, I liked the clips he posted, matter of fact, I may have a couple of 'em...I personally thought it sounded great myself, but different folks dig different tones...

Getting a roaring amp down to whisper quiet for recording with good results is just really hard to do...It can be done, but the result is shitty sound IMO...Now I'm not sayin' it can't be done, but things change when you're recording...I've been chasing that very thing for years now...

Just like the ISO cab I'm about to wrap up, I already know it's impossible to completely kill the sound to make it totally silent...To be able to knock off a few db's for me to be able to get my amp wound up is what I'm shooting for, again, it's just impossible to have things both ways...

With the "bedroom" volume, I've been there & done that, not a fan myself...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

Minerman wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:10 am The guy in the 2nd vid is a regular (or used to be anyway, I don't go there much anymore) at the Marshall forum...Same username as his vid "Michael RT"...Great player & seems to be pretty good at mods...A while back he bought a trashed 200w Major & brought it back to life, plus did some gain mods...It turned out ok, but to me, it sounded like the rest of his amps, very VH-ish...I know the player has a lot to do with that too, & he's an EVH freak so...

I remember when Greg did the one wire mod, I liked the clips he posted, matter of fact, I may have a couple of 'em...I personally thought it sounded great myself, but different folks dig different tones...

Getting a roaring amp down to whisper quiet for recording with good results is just really hard to do...It can be done, but the result is shitty sound IMO...Now I'm not sayin' it can't be done, but things change when you're recording...I've been chasing that very thing for years now...

Just like the ISO cab I'm about to wrap up, I already know it's impossible to completely kill the sound to make it totally silent...To be able to knock off a few db's for me to be able to get my amp wound up is what I'm shooting for, again, it's just impossible to have things both ways...

With the "bedroom" volume, I've been there & done that, not a fan myself...
theres a guy over at HR considering building a cab,was gonna post and refer him to your build. thats stealing traffic from there imo .. so didnt,you as the thread owner could though http://homerecording.com/bbs/special-fo ... gn-396376/ .. might be fun to have more hands on ?

never been to the marshall forum,i have a tranny marshall buried in the back room that keeps blowing fuses,not sure its worth fixing really,so not much in common over there .. till now,researching this mod thing,and if it could relate to mine somehow (laney VC50 - it has a useful fx vol on the back,so how that would compare to a mod ill have to see) .. for sure ill check out that Michael RT guy .. thanks for that :)

don't think we`ll ever stop chasing tweaks n tones,but over the years ive learned that sims 100% arent for me,soo,its gather and tweak junk n keep plodding on,frustrating .. but kinda fun (in an S&M way :D) ...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I've seen that RT guy's vids. He apparently does very good work and is a typical VH-ripoff shredder. But literally every single thing he does to every single amp sounds exactly the same. I asked him one time about doing the mod without the PPIMV and he said it wouldn't work well without it. All of his vids are low-ish volume. I thought that was weird. It's like he's turning great amps into useless van halen bedroom amps? I guess that's not useless for the bedroom guitar hero, but man that hurts my heart to turn those awesome amps into quiet one-trick ponies....if that's actually what's happening. I could have it all wrong. I know my one-wire mod sounds better turned down, which is pretty lame.
Rebel Yell
cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:38 am I've seen that RT /snip
i get what you mean,for me maybe it would be "It's like he's turning great amps into van halen bedroom recording amps?" ..

so the PPIMV mod is not switchable? .. how bout your wire ? .. prob a ball ache to explain it again,but if you could link me that would be great :)