The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rayc

Re: The Tone Thread RAMONES SLAM

Post by rayc »

Typical...( I do love the Smiths though)...
ramones slam.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by rayc »

Is this an accurate dissection?
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlrwHBOmoJQ[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:01 pm Typical...( I do love the Smiths though)...
ramones slam.jpg
He quickly became a superfan though. Morrisey loves the Ramones. He even covers Judy is a Punk in his live set. Not well, but he tries it.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:31 pm Is this an accurate dissection?
Yup, he pretty much covered it.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:30 pm
rayc wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:01 pm Typical...( I do love the Smiths though)...
ramones slam.jpg
He quickly became a superfan though. Morrisey loves the Ramones. He even covers Judy is a Punk in his live set. Not well, but he tries it.
Yeah, I knew he'd changed his tune but it is a monumental Morrisey to be so up him self and outraged. Gave me a laugh. I have a cople of earlier solo albums by him. Not as good as the Smiths but good.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:13 pm

Yeah, I knew he'd changed his tune but it is a monumental Morrisey to be so up him self and outraged. Gave me a laugh. I have a cople of earlier solo albums by him. Not as good as the Smiths but good.
There used to be a show on MTV called "120 Minutes". In an era of horrid hairspray metal, Madonna, and corporate approved grunge, 120 Minutes was like their late Sunday night block of "alternative" stuff. On one episode, Lemmy and Joey Ramone were guest hosts for a few segments and Morrisey was the musical guest. Lemmy and Joey wasted no time crucifying poor Morrisey. I haven't been able to find any footage of it, but I do remember it being very funny and pretty sad for Morrisey. It was mostly Lemmy. Joey just kind of laughed along to Lemmy's character and musical assassination of Morrisey.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Interesting character, Morrisey. I do quite like The Smiths and I really like Jonny Marr's guitar playing, it just sounds really fluid and simple, but its actually really fucking complicated!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Here's Lemmy and Joey Ramone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjP8_JKUv58
Seems like it must be the same show but without Morrissey there.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:58 am Interesting character, Morrisey. I do quite like The Smiths and I really like Jonny Marr's guitar playing, it just sounds really fluid and simple, but its actually really fucking complicated!
I agree. The Smiths were a pretty good band.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:19 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:58 am Interesting character, Morrisey. I do quite like The Smiths and I really like Jonny Marr's guitar playing, it just sounds really fluid and simple, but its actually really fucking complicated!
I agree. The Smiths were a pretty good band.
have you ever tried to play stuff like This Charming Man or Hand In Glove? Sounds like it should be really easy but its actually a real handful.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:21 am
have you ever tried to play stuff like This Charming Man or Hand In Glove? Sounds like it should be really easy but its actually a real handful.
Nope. I don't ever try to play that stuff. I did a cover of "Panic" once and that was it for me playing The Smiths.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:00 am Here's Lemmy and Joey Ramone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjP8_JKUv58
Seems like it must be the same show but without Morrissey there.
I think that is the same show. I remember all of that. But there was more where it was just Lemmy and Joey talking nonsense and Lemmy went off about Morrissey.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman, we need more Jubilee clips. Let's hear some 80s sleazerock with that thing. :metal:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:09 pm Minerman, we need more Jubilee clips. Let's hear some 80s sleazerock with that thing. :metal:
Weird man, I was making a clip when you posted this...

This is from the 80's, but it's not the hairspray rock I usually throw up...

BTW, not sure if Soundcloud will zap this clip or not, I tried to upload another clip like this a while back, & it was removed for the copyright shit...

LP > 2525H > Greenback > 609 centered & 57 off axis

5w mode
Presence: 5
Bass: 8
Mid: 5
Treble: 5
Master: 4
Lead Master: 4
Input Gain: 4

This is a really low volume clip, so much so I had to turn my mic pre's up about halfway to get the signal hitting around -18db...Very quiet in the room, I walked through the house while re-amping the di, & could barely hear it...

I've learned the 2525H does have more gain than a lot of Marshall amps, but compared to other amps (like the EVH LBX & Chupacabra), it's pretty tame...

I'm really liking this amp, it reminds me of a baby JCM800 when comparing it to other Marshall clips I've got over here...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:43 pm
Greg_L wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:09 pm Minerman, we need more Jubilee clips. Let's hear some 80s sleazerock with that thing. :metal:
Weird man, I was making a clip when you posted this...

This is from the 80's, but it's not the hairspray rock I usually throw up...

BTW, not sure if Soundcloud will zap this clip or not, I tried to upload another clip like this a while back, & it was removed for the copyright shit...

LP > 2525H > Greenback > 609 centered & 57 off axis

5w mode
Presence: 5
Bass: 8
Mid: 5
Treble: 5
Master: 4
Lead Master: 4
Input Gain: 4

This is a really low volume clip, so much so I had to turn my mic pre's up about halfway to get the signal hitting around -18db...Very quiet in the room, I walked through the house while re-amping the di, & could barely hear it...

I've learned the 2525H does have more gain than a lot of Marshall amps, but compared to other amps (like the EVH LBX & Chupacabra), it's pretty tame...

I'm really liking this amp, it reminds me of a baby JCM800 when comparing it to other Marshall clips I've got over here...
Damn miner that sounds pretty fucking good. The right guitar is a little dominant, but great tones for that style.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Nice MM, yeah the L guitar needs to come up a little more but cool tone.
Cheers
rayc
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Thanks dudes,
The only thing in that clip that's actually me is the right side guitar, that's why it's so loud/dominant compared to the other guitar...I basically played Angus on this...

I'm still in the "wow" stage, but this little amp rocks...What's even better I can get these tones almost silently with "Psychobilly Ed's ISO Cab"...

Ray: Thanks dude I'm actually kind of amazed with this little amp...Any word on your amp that's being modded??? I'd love to hear it when you get it back...

Greg: I wanna do a shoot out with our amps again sometime dude, like we did with your plexi & the Chupa...I wanna know how close this amp gets to a real JCM800...Lemme know if you're up for it man... :biggrin:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:25 am Thanks dudes,
The only thing in that clip that's actually me is the right side guitar, that's why it's so loud/dominant compared to the other guitar...I basically played Angus on this...

I'm still in the "wow" stage, but this little amp rocks...What's even better I can get these tones almost silently with "Psychobilly Ed's ISO Cab"...

Ray: Thanks dude I'm actually kind of amazed with this little amp...Any word on your amp that's being modded??? I'd love to hear it when you get it back...

Greg: I wanna do a shoot out with our amps again sometime dude, like we did with your plexi & the Chupa...I wanna know how close this amp gets to a real JCM800...Lemme know if you're up for it man... :biggrin:
Lol. That's funny. So is the left guitar actual Malcolm? I thought that side was a pretty damn convincing AC/DC tone. :lollers2:

I'll do a shootout with you. Let's try for monday. What's the plan? Your Jube has more gain than my 800.

You know what? I have a gig tomorrow. My boy Chris is using his big Jubilee. I'll try to bring it home with me and we'll compare big Jube vs little Jube vs mighty JCM 800.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:03 am
Lol. That's funny. So is the left guitar actual Malcolm? I thought that side was a pretty damn convincing AC/DC tone. :lollers2:

I'll do a shootout with you. Let's try for monday. What's the plan? Your Jube has more gain than my 800.

You know what? I have a gig tomorrow. My boy Chris is using his big Jubilee. I'll try to bring it home with me and we'll compare big Jube vs little Jube vs mighty JCM 800.
Hell, I thought you guys would know that was Malcom...Lol... :lollers:
Greg_L wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:03 am I'll do a shootout with you. Let's try for monday. What's the plan? Your Jube has more gain than my 800.
We can do it anytime you want man, I'm free all day every day for the most part, so whenever is good for you...

IIRC, with the plexi/chupa, we used the same guitar, speaker & mic...The thing that was really different was the chupa's high gain modes, so I used it in "regular" era/mode...

I suppose we could just set the tonestack with everything on "5" & whatever your master volume is on, is where I'll put mine...Since the 'Lil Jube is hot-rodded, I'll use the rhythm clip channel try to match the amount of gain in your clip...

There's no way we'd ever get the mic position exactly the same, but we can probably get pretty close...

Since you're gonna throw the big Jube in the hat too, this might be a good time to try out your new re-amp box so the playing/performance will be the same...

This isn't really necessary, but I'd be up for us sending our di's to each other & re-amping 'em too, just for shits-n-giggles...

Lemme know man, the ball is in your court... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

We could send DIs to each other and set the Jubilees the same way. You record your mini-Jube, send me the DI, and I'll run it through the big one with the same settings. I'll do the same with my guitar and big Jube, send you the DI, and you run it through your mini-Jube.

The 800 is a different animal. I don't know how that would work with the 800. Everything about the 800 and Jubilee is pretty different. We can set them the same and just see how different they are.
Rebel Yell