The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:15 pm Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my PPIMVSUPERLEAD modded Superbass.
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

I hope it works out well. It should be cool as shit.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:07 am
rayc wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:15 pm Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my PPIMVSUPERLEAD modded Superbass.
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

I hope it works out well. It should be cool as shit.
Greg,
check you PM
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:34 am
Greg,
check you PM
Nothing there. :confused:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Odd. I'll try again.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'd love a Kemper. A normal Kemper isn't that far out of my buget either... I'd want a powered Kemper which sticks another few 100 quid on top and makes it unrealistic.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:10 am I'd love a Kemper. A normal Kemper isn't that far out of my buget either... I'd want a powered Kemper which sticks another few 100 quid on top and makes it unrealistic.
Yeah like ten 100 quids.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

What is a Kemper? I mean, is it software, or is it a piece of hardware, like a modelling amp? I checked out their site half asleep last night, but couldn't tell what I was looking at.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:38 am What is a Kemper? I mean, is it software, or is it a piece of hardware, like a modelling amp? I checked out their site half asleep last night, but couldn't tell what I was looking at.
It's hardware. Modeling amp. It looks like a plastic 50s toaster, or you can get it as a rack unit. Some are powered for use with a cab, some are DI only or you need a powered cab.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Ok cool thanx. Yeah, I saw the toasters. I just wasn't sure if that's what the GUI looked like, or if it was an actual piece of gear.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rammer24 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:43 am Ok cool thanx. Yeah, I saw the toasters. I just wasn't sure if that's what the GUI looked like, or if it was an actual piece of gear.
No, it's an actual thing. I have the rack version because the toaster version looks so weird and I need to be able to put things on top of it.

It has plastic knobs, which are about the only thing I don't like about it.... :mad2:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Well, that explains why I can't find any Kempers on TorrentsRus.com. :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:58 pm Well, that explains why I can't find any Kempers on TorrentsRus.com. :D
:nyuk: :nyuk: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rammer24 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:58 pm Well, that explains why I can't find any Kempers on TorrentsRus.com. :D
I'll take a picture of mine and you can sticky tape it to your wall and pretend....

I'll do another thread on it sometime - Kemper, the company, are playing the long game - because it's basically just a digital box, they can, and do, keep upgrading the software and giving you a bunch of extra cool stuff each time - all for free. Last time I upgraded the OS a strobe tuner turned up in place of the normal tuner and they added some seriously powerful delay stuff in as well for the ambient freaks.

There's some very clever design stuff on it - so the main mode switch goes from OFF to TUNER to BROWSE (where you work out what profile you want) to something else, and has little LEDs on top of each selection - so the LED's job isn't to light up when you select the option but when you're in a performance mode, they operate as a visual tuner - if just the green one at the top is lit when you pluck a note you're in tune, but if the white ones on either side start to glow, you're sharp or flat, and you can quickly tweak without having to switch back to TUNER mode. Clever.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Here's a digital version...
kemper.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Minerman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:37 am First clip with the new toy...I'm impressed with this thing, it is different from other Marshall amps I've played through, but I think it's got sorta the same character the big amps have...It will take some time to learn what it's good at, & what it ain't, but that's part of the fun...
Miner this sounds really friggin good for a 20W jobby. Lot of mid man. no shortage of that. I'm too much of a newb to marhsall stuff to really dissect it against it's big brothers but in terms of a tone that sounds pretty fecking good. Thick. That tone is thick but still punchy. I like the rhythm channel myself.
:happytrees:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:46 pm
Minerman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:37 am First clip with the new toy...I'm impressed with this thing, it is different from other Marshall amps I've played through, but I think it's got sorta the same character the big amps have...It will take some time to learn what it's good at, & what it ain't, but that's part of the fun...
Miner this sounds really friggin good for a 20W jobby. Lot of mid man. no shortage of that. I'm too much of a newb to marhsall stuff to really dissect it against it's big brothers but in terms of a tone that sounds pretty fecking good. Thick. That tone is thick but still punchy. I like the rhythm channel myself.
Thanks Shan,
I've spent a few days just playing through this thing, not recording, just playing...It's been years since I've did that & I've enjoyed it, a lot...Not worrying about mic placement, or if it's gonna be too bright/scratchy/fizzy on the recording, just fucking playing, to be playing...

The mini Jube is a different amp, way different than any of the Marshall or Marshall-y amps I've used...The eq almost seems like it's active because it makes such a difference when tweaking...The mid knob, anything below "3"-ish just doesn't sound very good to me, it scoops the sound, but not in a good way IMO...

It's got plenty of gain on tap, but I've gotten used to the massive amount of gain the EVH LBX has, so I need to keep at it to get used to the mini Jube...I gotta say finding the balance between the input gain & master volume is where it's at with this little amp...It sounds great at about any volume through the 4x12, which is a world of difference from the ISO cab...Don't get me wrong, the ISO cab is great for getting cranked up recorded tones, but there's just something about the interaction between the guitar, amp & speakers in the room the ISO cab just doesn't have...

I'll throw some clips up in a while, I've just been having fun with this little amp the last few days, that's the whole point of all this shit for me: enjoying myself & having fun...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. One 50w vs 50 one watts.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 3E4ch4Bf_Y[/BBvideo]
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Very underwhelming - but I doubt anyone was expecting something better.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:10 am I'd love a Kemper. A normal Kemper isn't that far out of my buget either... I'd want a powered Kemper which sticks another few 100 quid on top and makes it unrealistic.
just buy a power amp ...... wouldn't need much ..... 100 watt power amps can be had for fairly cheap.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:37 am
just buy a power amp ...... wouldn't need much ..... 100 watt power amps can be had for fairly cheap.
The powered Kempers are rated at 600 watts. The alleged reasoning behind the huge wattage is they don't want any coloration from the power amp - totally clean headroom. The modeler portion of the "amp" is all of the sound, the power amp's job is to accurately and cleanly amplify the modeler sound.
Rebel Yell