The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:36 pm Interesting new vid from Johan. I like Coronets as it is & hearing one in isolation is cool BUT the thing that grabbed me was the difference the room mic made...
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_KKiS8Qio4[/BBvideo]
I like that guitar. great share ray.
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Naw fuck it, it's all about learning here so have a listen: this is what i tracked on Saturday. For those that may not know i rented a JCM800 (2203) and rather than shit up the NAD (not NARD {r = rental}) thread i'll put tones here.

It is my old stringed, poorly intonated, higher than normal action, LPJr Special, Bridge P90 into the JCM800 . This things needs a set up bad.

Presence - 3
Bass - 6
Mid - 6
Treb - 3
Master - A whisker less than 6
Pre - 5

Orange PPC412 Cab, Top Left V30, SM57 75% over the cone, 25% over the cap, .5" Off the grill.

She's Jangly! Minernuggs hit it right on the head with his percussive description. That is a brilliant description.That's the only word i would have for this. I hear the air moving here, It just seems to be lacking just a little bit of Push. I hear it to my ear i just am not hearing it translate to recorded form. Although right now it does sound a bit better today than when i listened to the other day. it's a loud amp.

Sorry for butchering a Misfits tune. It was my intent to have the full cover prepared for tomorrow. Shit happens.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Burning bodies hanging from poles!

I think you captured it pretty well. That's about what I'd expect it to sound like with those settings and a P-90 guitar. Keep in mind the 800 is not a high gain amp and a P-90 is barely gonna tickle it. And you have the gain pretty low. Get the preamp up around 6 or 7 and it'll get raunchy.

Or if you're feeling brave and no one else is home....crank the master to 10 and bring in just enough preamp volume to taste.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:26 am Burning bodies hanging from poles!

I think you captured it pretty well. That's about what I'd expect it to sound like with those settings and a P-90 guitar. Keep in mind the 800 is not a high gain amp and a P-90 is barely gonna tickle it. And you have the gain pretty low. Get the preamp up around 6 or 7 and it'll get raunchy.

Or if you're feeling brave and no one else is home....crank the master to 10 and bring in just enough preamp volume to taste.
That is kind of what i was thinking was the P90 is the lack of push i'm not getting or hearing. Whichis to be expected. But i sort of expected a a tad bit more. But i think i can add a bit more by turning up the volume. I do love how spanky it is. It really brings out the life and character of a P90 better than the Orange does.

I made the newb mistake of diming everything on this amp in my room the day i picked it up. While impressive as hell it is not an ideal sound. But dang if it weren't powerful. I am debating taking Thursday afternoon as a me afternoon to get in some more time with this guy. I'll follow up then and maybe try some of my humbucker guitars in it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:13 am That is kind of what i was thinking was the P90 is the lack of push i'm not getting or hearing. Whichis to be expected. But i sort of expected a a tad bit more. But i think i can add a bit more by turning up the volume. I do love how spanky it is. It really brings out the life and character of a P90 better than the Orange does.
Having the gain on 5 is pretty low on that amp regardless of pickup. Maybe some smoldering metal pickup will push it on 5, but most normal people pickups will not. That's a light/medium crunch gain setting for that amp. The preamp volume needs to be up around 7 to get into hearty rock and roll tone territory. That's also about where the bright cap loses it's control and things fatten up.
I made the newb mistake of diming everything on this amp in my room the day i picked it up. While impressive as hell it is not an ideal sound. But dang if it weren't powerful. I am debating taking Thursday afternoon as a me afternoon to get in some more time with this guy. I'll follow up then and maybe try some of my humbucker guitars in it.
Ha that had to be deafening. The 800 is not a crank everything type of amp.

You have what is in my opinion the best amp ever made. You'll get it figured out.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Shan that sounds like an 800 to me dude, an 800 with a clean setting...Wind the gain up on that thing man, & possibly hit it with a boost pedal if it doesn't have enough dirt for you...

The way I set the high end on my amp is use either the treble to get a little "bite" without being harsh, then slowly bring the presence up from "0" until I hear a little sparkle, then back it off just a hair...A slightly darker mic position will help a little with that amp too...

Remember, it's a bright, cutting percussive sounding amp meant to cut through a band in a stadium on it's own, with no help from the mixing board...In short, that amp was meant to be played LOUD...

You guys are giving me Marshall fever over here... There's something going on here on my end, but I don't wanna say anything until I'm absolutely sure it's gonna happen, but I'm excited about it...:nyuk:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:26 am Having the gain on 5 is pretty low on that amp regardless of pickup. Maybe some smoldering metal pickup will push it on 5, but most normal people pickups will not. That's a light/medium crunch gain setting for that amp. The preamp volume needs to be up around 7 to get into hearty rock and roll tone territory. That's also about where the bright cap loses it's control and things fatten up.
Will try this for sure! :like:
Greg_L wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:26 am Ha that had to be deafening. The 800 is not a crank everything type of amp.
Yes. it was screeching for sure. lol.
Minerman wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:54 pm Shan that sounds like an 800 to me dude, an 800 with a clean setting...Wind the gain up on that thing man, & possibly hit it with a boost pedal if it doesn't have enough dirt for you...

The way I set the high end on my amp is use either the treble to get a little "bite" without being harsh, then slowly bring the presence up from "0" until I hear a little sparkle, then back it off just a hair...A slightly darker mic position will help a little with that amp too...

Remember, it's a bright, cutting percussive sounding amp meant to cut through a band in a stadium on it's own, with no help from the mixing board...In short, that amp was meant to be played LOUD...

You guys are giving me Marshall fever over here... There's something going on here on my end, but I don't wanna say anything until I'm absolutely sure it's gonna happen, but I'm excited about it...:nyuk:
Yea i will wind it up in the gain department next time i sit with it miner. thanks man.

Is your exciting news separate from the ceriatone?
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:08 pm
Minerman wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:54 pm Shan that sounds like an 800 to me dude, an 800 with a clean setting...Wind the gain up on that thing man, & possibly hit it with a boost pedal if it doesn't have enough dirt for you...

Yea i will wind it up in the gain department next time i sit with it miner. thanks man.
Don't be afraid of that gain knob dude, & if you have an od/boost pedal, don't be afraid to try it either...A lot of great tones have been recorded with a boosted Marshall... :jam:
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:08 pm Is your exciting news separate from the ceriatone?
Yes, I just happened on something by luck, but I'm not gonna spill the beans until I know 100% it's gonna happen...I'll find out for sure in a few days, & when I do, I'll let everyone know what's up...
I'm trying not to get my hopes up because it may not happen, but this might be a really good thing for me, & I'm pretty damn excited about it... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

You are like me. I try and keep my lips sealed until i know 100% about anything. excited to hear what it could be.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:16 pm You are like me. I try and keep my lips sealed until i know 100% about anything. excited to hear what it could be.
I'm about to bust at the seams because this is something that just popped up man...I've been planning on the 2202 for a long time, but this is something completely unexpected...and, it's way cool...But like I mentioned, I'm not gonna get my hopes up because of the luck I've had at times, I just hope my luck has turned the corner... :smiles:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Man I just did some sweet ass P-90/JCM 800 tones and my power went out. Tones gone.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:53 pm Man I just did some sweet ass P-90/JCM 800 tones and my power went out. Tones gone.
I hate that shit man, a few days ago it was raining/storming here & the power flickered like 4-5 times in about an hour or so...Massively pissed me off because I had to re-boot/re-start the whole shebang, computer, amp, e-drums, re-load the daw, everything...Seems like as soon as I got it all back running, I do something over I'd lost, then it'd do it again... I finally just gave up for a few hours because the vibe/mood I had was completely gone...It's nowhere near as bad as when I was working because I only had so much time to spend before duty called, but it's still a pisser...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

This is my gripe with everything digital Miner. Everything. Anyone who says living in the digital world is an easy one isn't immersed in it enough to know wtf they are talking about.

My homestudio stuff is one one thing and i keep that set up as simple as possible and try to do a back up of stuff every few weeks and or sessions, which ever comes first. but my job is another headache all together. When i save a drawing i have to save over some ridiculous virtual network that has some weird replication / mirroring function between offices and the files i work with are pretty big in terms of a cad drawing, and if that network mirroring thing decides to do it's thing during one of my saves i may as well kiss all that work good bye and plan to start again because data sort of goes missing and the files become corrupt and un useable. it happens far more often than it should.

All that shit pisses me off. Another reason why i like simple set ups home.

Sorry ya'll lost some stuff. that sucks.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:38 pm This is my gripe with everything digital Miner. Everything. Anyone who says living in the digital world is an easy one isn't immersed in it enough to know wtf they are talking about.

My homestudio stuff is one one thing, but my job is another headache all together
Shan I can't imagine doing what you do for a living man, I was a blue-collar (actually smeared black with coal dust :biggrin: ) worker that literally busted my ass doing really hard, physical labor, but what you do is something else entirely, & I know it's not easy either man...I imagine the stress level from that shit is through the roof & non-stop...I used to envy guys like you because of the physical part of my job, but after thinking about it, I actually feel sorry for you because of the stress/bullshit/headaches that come with all that...

I've often thought about buying a stand-alone recorder of some sort, but fuck man, I'm all in with the amount of $$$ I've got in just software...It'd blow your mind to know how much I've actually spent on that...I've been doing the recording thing for almost 10 years now, so it's quite a receipt I have for it, & that's not counting the guitars, amps, mics, etc either...
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:38 pmSorry ya'll lost some stuff. that sucks.
The only thing I really lost was my temper dude...Reaper is pretty good about saving the recorded tracks as long as you have it set up to do so, one gripe I do have is the midi tracks I record aren't time-stamped like the actual audio files, unless I'm missing something...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:01 am Naw fuck it, it's all about learning here so have a listen: this is what i tracked on Saturday. For those that may not know i rented a JCM800 (2203) and rather than shit up the NAD (not NARD {r = rental}) thread i'll put tones here.

It is my old stringed, poorly intonated, higher than normal action, LPJr Special, Bridge P90 into the JCM800 . This things needs a set up bad.

Presence - 3
Bass - 6
Mid - 6
Treb - 3
Master - A whisker less than 6
Pre - 5

Orange PPC412 Cab, Top Left V30, SM57 75% over the cone, 25% over the cap, .5" Off the grill.

She's Jangly! Minernuggs hit it right on the head with his percussive description. That is a brilliant description.That's the only word i would have for this. I hear the air moving here, It just seems to be lacking just a little bit of Push. I hear it to my ear i just am not hearing it translate to recorded form. Although right now it does sound a bit better today than when i listened to the other day. it's a loud amp.

Sorry for butchering a Misfits tune. It was my intent to have the full cover prepared for tomorrow. Shit happens.
Only just got to this.

I reckon is sounds pretty good, seems like there's a bit of fizz on it though which you could probably deal with quite easily.
I'd fucking love to have an amp like that and a space to use it.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tonetards.

Got some more time in with the JCM today. tried out a few different guitars except for my Sparrow. That one is still decomissoned and my Ibanez PF350 will be too it needs to have a jack replaced as you will hear if you are so brave enough to check it out.

So i got these settings for all guitar and just left them there.

Presence - 4
Bass - 6
Mid - 6
Treb - just shy of 4
Master - 5
Pre - 6.5 (6 wasn't enough with the p90's 7 was too much with the ibanez. I split the diff.)

Gibson LpJr Special, Bridge P90

Epiphone LP Standard Bridge\Bucker (Stock P/ups)

Ibanez PF350 Bridge\Bucker (Possibly in single coil position?)
*CAUTION Scratchy input jack and it sticks out like a sore thumb on the JCM and the little E string rings out so bright on this i think i need to raise the action on it or something? Never noticed either the input jack or e string shrillness once on the orange or any sims. So weird. Input jack might be a new thing as i have been plugging and unplugging like a mad man the last few months when i have time to tinker down here.

Oddly enough the Ibanez is as bright as batshit in comparison to the other guitars, all scratchyness and E-String problems aside.

No apologies for the shitty playing. My own fault for not putting in enough practice time as i used to.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Shan I gotta say these are pretty fuckin' good clips man...

I heard the scratchy thing in the last clip, so you need to get that sorted, but other than that man, these clips are good...Really good...

That amp has made a huge difference in your tone, & I'm not just saying that because I'm a Marshall Fan-Boy either...

Most of the time, I use Greg's Marshall clips as a baseline to compare others, & you've nailed what that amp is supposed to sound like IMO...I'd probably use a little more gain, but you gotta remember I'm an 80's guy...

JCM800 tone(s) like this are the reason I'm gonna buy the Ceriatone 2202, & a big reason I bought the mini Jubilee (the other big reason is I basically got a new amp for just a little over half-price :smiles: )...
Tones like those & what you posted here are pretty much the holy grail to me dude... :not worthy:

These clips give me hope, but worry me at the same time...I hope my new mini Jube will sound this good, but I'm also paranoid that it won't... :biggrin:

Well done!!!
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah those all sound good shantilly lace. Nice tight chunk, good grind in the mids, clear top end. The P90 clip sounds especially good to me. Nice Social D riffing too. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Yep, the Ibanez is bright. Nice tones generally. RECORD something.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Thanks all. It was a fun day and after reviewing the tones after giving the ears a break i have no complaints other than the ibanezs bill lf health. I have a tune close to done but will retrack with the jcm and orange and ditch the sims. Stoked. Curious to hear the contrast of the orange and the jcm together.

Can't wait to hear miners jubilee. All kinds of new sounds crawling out of the woodwork. Hopefully JD procures some new noise making devices!!!