The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:16 pm Greg: Sorry I didn't get around to posting this before you had to take the amp back, but I fucked around & stayed up all damn night...I tried to post this a little earlier, but something was happening with the forum, but looks like our head honcho got things running again...

I had a listen to your Green Beret clip man, it actually sounds pretty good...I'll give it another spin after I get some sleep, I'm done for a few hours... :biggrin:

Here's my shitty tracks for the day... :smiles: :

SG > Mini Jubilee > V30 > 57-i5 50/50 blend
20w mode
Lead Channel
Presence: 8
Bass: 8
Mid: 5
Treble: 8
Output Master: 7
Lead Master: 7
Input Gain: 8

I did stumble onto a way to use the Mini Jubilee's di along with my daw effects I'd never tried before, running the di into Amplitube's cab section, but only using the room sounds, blended with the ISO cab...I think it sounds pretty good, but as usual, YMMV...

The second part of this playlist has the Amplitube room sounds, plus I used my univibe & panned the mic'd tracks out a little...I like it myself, reminds me of old 70's style blues rock...

These clips may need a little top end, seems I'm either too far one way or the other with this amp, but I was pretty happy with the sound/vibe at the time, so I just left it...

Here's the Mini Jube's di if you guys wanna try something weird like the Jubilee pre-amp into a JVM/Blackstar/whatever power section:
DI OUTPUT Mini Jubilee 11-30-2017.mp3

Sorry I didn't get this up earlier dudes...I'm gonna go crash...
Hey dude, I think the stereo spread clip is a little dark and a little tubby. I think it would sound good in the right kind of mix though. The mono version sounds better to me.

I'll run your DI through the JVM today and see what happens.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:44 pm Okay miner, one last quick crappy run with the Jube. I'm about to pack this bitch up.

LP Traditional - Burstbucker 3 bridge
Marshall Jubilee
Pres - 5
Bass - 7
Mid - 5
Treb - 6
Output Master - 6
Lead Master - 10
Gain - 6.5
Marshall 1960A 4x12 - WGS Green Berets
SM57 on axis, on grill, dustcap/cone seam, Audix i5 on axis, on grill, halfway across cone
50/50 blend
No EQ

LPJubeWGSGB.mp3
Still sounds good, but I don't like this as much as the earlier one, sounds a bit too thick on the chugs for me - like the sort of thing I would immediately lose control of in a mix! I notice you've got the bass up really high on this clip though.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:16 pm Greg: Sorry I didn't get around to posting this before you had to take the amp back, but I fucked around & stayed up all damn night...I tried to post this a little earlier, but something was happening with the forum, but looks like our head honcho got things running again...

I had a listen to your Green Beret clip man, it actually sounds pretty good...I'll give it another spin after I get some sleep, I'm done for a few hours... :biggrin:

Here's my shitty tracks for the day... :smiles: :

SG > Mini Jubilee > V30 > 57-i5 50/50 blend
20w mode
Lead Channel
Presence: 8
Bass: 8
Mid: 5
Treble: 8
Output Master: 7
Lead Master: 7
Input Gain: 8

I did stumble onto a way to use the Mini Jubilee's di along with my daw effects I'd never tried before, running the di into Amplitube's cab section, but only using the room sounds, blended with the ISO cab...I think it sounds pretty good, but as usual, YMMV...

The second part of this playlist has the Amplitube room sounds, plus I used my univibe & panned the mic'd tracks out a little...I like it myself, reminds me of old 70's style blues rock...

These clips may need a little top end, seems I'm either too far one way or the other with this amp, but I was pretty happy with the sound/vibe at the time, so I just left it...

Here's the Mini Jube's di if you guys wanna try something weird like the Jubilee pre-amp into a JVM/Blackstar/whatever power section:
DI OUTPUT Mini Jubilee 11-30-2017.mp3

Sorry I didn't get this up earlier dudes...I'm gonna go crash...
This is a bit dark and I think the combination of the guitar tracks and the vibe is doing a weird phasey thing, which sounds kind of cool but is a bit over the top. Its a good tone though, just 'cos probably do with a bit less bass!

I'm generally really impressed with the Jube clips you guys have been posting up this week though - just been going back over them and listening to them now I'm at home on my AKG reference cans.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:42 pm Clean channel w/ Rhythm Clip:
LPJubeRClipV3057.mp3
LPJubeRClipV30i5.mp3
LPJubeRClipDI.mp3
This one sounds particularly good now I'm listening at home on good headphones.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, haven't posted a tone clip up in a while - this is about the best I'm getting right now - certainly one of the best tones I've got out of this amp.

Tell me what you think:
171201-Rhythm Track.mp3
Its the OCD into my Blackstar.
57 on the edge of the cap
i5 mid way out
Both V30s

Actually, Greg, if I give you a FX send - can you FX return it into one of your Marshalls with the same mic placement?
I'm at "small pub volume" into a 2x12.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Thanks dudes, these last clips were pretty dark, I did intentionally make 'em that way, but went to the extreme again...I wasn't trying to replicate his tone at all, but just for a ballpark of a Robin Trower-ish thing...The di ran through cab/room plugins might work well...

On the univibe, the mic'd tracks were recorded at different times (re-amped), with slightly different settings on the pedal, which seemed to give 'em a little seperation...I keep stumbling onto different things that could be useful in the future...
JD01 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:05 pm OK, haven't posted a tone clip up in a while - this is about the best I'm getting right now - certainly one of the best tones I've got out of this amp.

Tell me what you think:
171201-Rhythm Track.mp3
i5 mid way out
Both V30s

Actually, Greg, if I give you a FX send - can you FX return it into one of your Marshalls with the same mic placement?
I think that sounds pretty good Jdude, the top end is a little scratchy, but could work well in a mix dude...

Whenever you get the chance to try out those amps dude just remember to play around with each one as long as you can...I'm partial to the Mini Jubilee because I have one, but I really think it would make a good match for your punk influenced sounds man...It's not high-gain, but you can always add gain with a pedal if you need it...Good luck!!!
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:33 pm I think that sounds pretty good Jdude, the top end is a little scratchy, but could work well in a mix dude...

Whenever you get the chance to try out those amps dude just remember to play around with each one as long as you can...I'm partial to the Mini Jubilee because I have one, but I really think it would make a good match for your punk influenced sounds man...It's not high-gain, but you can always add gain with a pedal if you need it...Good luck!!!
The scratchyness is probably the OCD - the level isn't maxed, but its near 3 O'Clock, I've also got the EQ pedal in the loop adding a just a db or so at 3.2 and 6.4.

Yeah, mate. I hope to be amp shopping early in the new year and I plan on really taking my time.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:05 pm OK, haven't posted a tone clip up in a while - this is about the best I'm getting right now - certainly one of the best tones I've got out of this amp.

Tell me what you think:
171201-Rhythm Track.mp3
i5 mid way out
Both V30s

I think that sounds pretty good. Definitely one of your better sounds. Sure send me a DI clip and I'll run it through the JVM.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:06 am

Tell me what you think:
171201-Rhythm Track.mp3
i5 mid way out
Both V30s

I think that sounds pretty good. Definitely one of your better sounds. Sure send me a DI clip and I'll run it through the JVM.
Cheers, Greg. Its been a bit of a struggle with the Blackstar but I'm pleased with that, sometimes I record with it and feel like I don't want to replace it 'cos I know where I stand with it now! Definitely, an upside to getting one of the MK2 Blackstar heads - they sound better than my MK1 and the learning curve with it will be way shorter.

Another thing I spent some time with yesterday was adjusting the height of the bridge Muttbucker - I had it a tiny bit low before, so it was a little thin, put it up and it went flubby, but fiddled a bit more and think I found a sweet spot.

So, if I give you an FX send the only difference will be your power amp/transformer, your cab and massive volume...
What I'll also do is add a V30 loaded 1960A impulse to my DI at my end for another comparison.
muttley

Post by muttley »

What height was it at and what did you find to be the best spot for you JD? I'd be interested to hear some short clips of the low and high setting and also the sweat spot. Would be good to put some ball park measurements up..
JD01

Post by JD01 »

HERe you go, mutt. I don’t want to fuck with the height now I’m happy with it but this is where I ended up
A0F5A25A-8137-41A1-B110-8A0404906303.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:06 am

Tell me what you think:
171201-Rhythm Track.mp3
i5 mid way out
Both V30s

Here's an FX send - all settings the same:
Rhythm FX Send.mp3
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:21 am
Rhythm FX Send.mp3
Okay I might have a little window this afternoon/tonight to run it through and see what happens.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:12 am
JD01 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:21 am
Rhythm FX Send.mp3
Okay I might have a little window this afternoon/tonight to run it through and see what happens.
Cool - I'll probably be half-cut by the time I hear it.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:10 am HERe you go, mutt. I don’t want to fuck with the height now I’m happy with it but this is where I ended up
A0F5A25A-8137-41A1-B110-8A0404906303.jpeg
I'm standing on my head now... but all I can see is a plectrum. Do you have a little ruler you could use or mark in on a bit of card and measure it?

Both e strings?..

What did you use to shim it?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I’ll mark up a bit of paper either later tonight or in the morning if I get chance.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Okay miner and JD. Here's yall's DIs through the JVM's power amp.

This is exactly as yall sent them to me, straight into the power amp. Master volume on 5. Other than volume, I have no control over any of the EQ in the power amp. Whatever yall's EQ was set at when you made the clip is how it goes into the power amp. Then it went on to a 1960B 4x12 Vintage 30s. Shure SM57 on axis, on grill, dustcap/cone, Audix i5 on axis, on grill halfway to edge. I used the same everything for both of your clips. Nothing changed.

Miner's Jube through the JVM and 4x12.
MinerJVM.mp3
JD's Blackstar through the JVM and 4x12.
JDJVM.mp3
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:40 pm Okay miner and JD. Here's yall's DIs through the JVM's power amp.

This is exactly as yall sent them to me, straight into the power amp. Master volume on 5. Other than volume, I have no control over any of the EQ in the power amp. Whatever yall's EQ was set at when you made the clip is how it goes into the power amp. Then it went on to a 1960B 4x12 Vintage 30s. Shure SM57 on axis, on grill, dustcap/cone, Audix i5 on axis, on grill halfway to edge. I used the same everything for both of your clips. Nothing changed.

MinerJVM.mp3

JDJVM.mp3
Wow, this is pretty cool IMO, it still sounds like the original clip to a point, but the mic position gave my di new life because it sounds about how it should, rather than the original dark, murky sounding tone...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:40 pm Okay miner and JD. Here's yall's DIs through the JVM's power amp.

MinerJVM.mp3

JDJVM.mp3
Fuck, that's weird. Its still recognisably my tone, but there's just way more there. Defintely more bottom, but also more top/sparkle.
It does get a little bit mushier than mine, but then if I had a JVM power amp up that sound I would probably have the gain a fair bit lower, as your version does sound like its got more gain.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:01 pm

Fuck, that's weird. Its still recognisably my tone, but there's just way more there. Defintely more bottom, but also more top/sparkle.
It does get a little bit mushier than mine, but then if I had a JVM power amp up that sound I would probably have the gain a fair bit lower, as your version does sound like its got more gain.
All I did was run it through the power amp. The power amp on the JVM distorts very little, and I definitely did not have it loud enough to add much of anything but volume. The JVM's power amp is totally isolated from any preamp or tone stack influence in the rest of the amp. It has a dedicated power amp send/return that is separated from the normal effects loop. Anyway, what there is to me is lot more "fidelity". Like you said, everything in your clip is there but more, and the mids through the JVM are way way better. Basically it's not "murky". It's big and clear. I guess that's the big transformer iron doing it's thing. Everything is bigger and clearer.

But to me, as it was playing back at me, unfortunately I could hear the flatness. Or more accurately, not feel the punch. I was really hoping to have some kind of Aha! moment. I'm sitting here with your track blasting back at me through my shit and it seemed very flat and compressed. I think it's your pedals out front killing dynamics. For comparison, miner's DI was way more textured and dynamic. I could feel miner's clip a lot more. So maybe keep that in mind when you go amp shopping. Get an amp that doesn't need any help from pedals. :illdrinktothat:
Minerman wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:02 pm Wow, this is pretty cool IMO, it still sounds like the original clip to a point, but the mic position gave my di new life because it sounds about how it should, rather than the original dark, murky sounding tone...
Yes, to me, yours sounded pretty much just like the big Jubilee I had here, so that's good. Your sound coming through my cab in the room was like someone was here actually playing. I think all you gotta do is keep tweaking your miking and placement and I think yours could sound pretty damn close to a big Jubilee. :cheers1:
Rebel Yell