The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:39 pm Ok miner, this might be the last go-round with the Jubilee. It's gone on thursday. I just retubed it and set the bias blah blah.

Two sets of clips for you, one lead channel, and one clean channel with rhythm clip.

Les Paul Traditional - Burstbucker 3 bridge/57 Classic neck
Marshall Jubilee 2555
Every single knob on 5
Marshall 1960B 4x12 Celestion Vintage 30
Shure SM57 on axis, on grill, dustcap/cone seam - Audix i5 on axis, on grill, halfway to edge on cone
No EQ or FX
D.I. taken straight from amp

You can try JD's suggestion with the DI and run it back through the power section of your mini-Jube. Maybe that'll work for a comparison?

Lead channel:
LPJubeV3057.mp3
LPJubeV30i5.mp3
LPJubeDI1.mp3
I really like these - can you do me a favour and give me a 50/50 blend? I'm finding the 57 only a bit too bright on its own. I do the same thing with my i5 - stick it halfway out 'cos its way too bright if its in the centre.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:11 am I really like these - can you do me a favour and give me a 50/50 blend? I'm finding the 57 only a bit too bright on its own. I do the same thing with my i5 - stick it halfway out 'cos its way too bright if its in the centre.
Just throw both clips in your daw & blend 'em how you want 'em dude...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:19 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:11 am I really like these - can you do me a favour and give me a 50/50 blend? I'm finding the 57 only a bit too bright on its own. I do the same thing with my i5 - stick it halfway out 'cos its way too bright if its in the centre.
I'm in work! I won't be at my DAW until the weekend.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:11 am
I really like these - can you do me a favour and give me a 50/50 blend? I'm finding the 57 only a bit too bright on its own. I do the same thing with my i5 - stick it halfway out 'cos its way too bright if its in the centre.
Sure, but it'll have to be with these MP3s because I've already deleted the original wavs. Gimme a few minutes....
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

No worries - cheers. This amp is still on my shortlist for the new year.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:39 am No worries - cheers. This amp is still on my shortlist for the new year.
Here's a 50/50 blend.
JubeV3057-i5blend.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:57 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:39 am No worries - cheers. This amp is still on my shortlist for the new year.
Here's a 50/50 blend.
JubeV3057-i5blend.mp3
That's a really good tone for me - maybe with a bit less gain though. But its thick but also has bite and clarity.

The Jube is definitely high on my list though. I'd love to compare it with a H&K. Its weird - they're a really similar price, but the H&K is mega versatile in comparison, whereas the Marshall seems to be both complex and non very versatile at all. The Victory isn't versatile, but then its also simple to set up. The new Blackstar stuff seems both very versatile and very simple to use.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:07 am
That's a really good tone for me - maybe with a bit less gain though. But its thick but also has bite and clarity.

The Jube is definitely high on my list though. I'd love to compare it with a H&K. Its weird - they're a really similar price, but the H&K is mega versatile in comparison, whereas the Marshall seems to be both complex and non very versatile at all. The Victory isn't versatile, but then its also simple to set up. The new Blackstar stuff seems both very versatile and very simple to use.
I don't know anything about the Victory or Blackstar, but the H&Ks are way more versatile than the Jubilee if that's a concern. One thing I'm finding that's good about the Jubilee, like any good Marshall, it sounds good pretty much no matter how you set it. It never really sounds bad. It's not my particular kind of sound, but it's always good. But it's also kind of always the same sound, so while it always sounds good, it also always kind of sounds the same. But as I've said, I'm not the right guy to showcase a Jubilee. It really is a lead players amp.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:20 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:07 am

I don't know anything about the Victory or Blackstar, but the H&Ks are way more versatile than the Jubilee if that's a concern. One thing I'm finding that's good about the Jubilee, like any good Marshall, it sounds good pretty much no matter how you set it. It never really sounds bad. It's not my particular kind of sound, but it's always good. But it's also kind of always the same sound, so while it always sounds good, it also always kind of sounds the same. But as I've said, I'm not the right guy to showcase a Jubilee. It really is a lead players amp.
I'm surprised you think that - the tone in that clip just sounds like True North (albeit with higher gain) to me - which is an ideal tone for my kind of music and I thought you'd like it too.

You should try the 50W MKII Blackstar HT head next time you're on a guitar centre pub crawl - I think you'll be surprised at the improvements they've made.

Anderton's actually stock all of the amps I want to try (they're the only shop that stocks Victory and very few shops stock H&K) so I'll have to go down there in the new year and really take my time.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:33 am
I'm surprised you think that - the tone in that clip just sounds like True North (albeit with higher gain) to me - which is an ideal tone for my kind of music and I thought you'd like it too.
I don't hate the Jubilee tone, and I do like True North a lot, but I don't hear it the way you're describing. To me there's something in the mids and top end of the Jubilee that seems kind of harsh. It's in every Jubilee I've ever heard. It's got that Marshall grind, but it seems overhyped. To me, the perfect Marshall type sound is a tight punchy bottom end, raging mids, a clean top end. A single note sounds kind of clean, a chord sounds gigantic. That's what I look for. The Jubilee sort of has that, but it's voice is mega-rage everywhere. It's clipped and compressed across the spectrum. Like I said, that's great for lead players, not so great for guy like me. On the plus side, it does what it does extremely well and I almost always like the Jubilee when other people play them. I just don't like them when I play them. Lol. :facepalm:

I guess the easiest way for me to put it is that it's no secret that I'll drop stupid money on whatever amp or guitar I want. That there's not a Jubilee already in my own personal collection pretty much says it all about how I feel about Jubilees for myself. I've never been writing or playing a song and thought to myself "I really need a Jubilee for this". :redface:
You should try the 50W MKII Blackstar HT head next time you're on a guitar centre pub crawl - I think you'll be surprised at the improvements they've made.
Maybe. Blackstar has disappointed me from day one, so I'm pretty biased against them now. But if I see one I'll try it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:05 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:33 am

Maybe. Blackstar has disappointed me from day one, so I'm pretty biased against them now. But if I see one I'll try it.
I'll be interested to see what you think 'cos I was very pleasantly surprised when I tried one - I really wasn't expecting to like it at all. Its still very much a modern voicing, but that low mid-mud has gone!

Hmm - I really fucked up the quoting there.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:09 am
Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:05 am

I'll be interested to see what you think 'cos I was very pleasantly surprised when I tried one - I really wasn't expecting to like it at all. Its still very much a modern voicing, but that low mid-mud has gone!

Hmm - I really fucked up the quoting there.
And just fucked it up again too.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I gotta run to my local GC today. I'll see if they have one.
Rebel Yell
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:33 am Anderton's actually stock all of the amps I want to try (they're the only shop that stocks Victory and very few shops stock H&K) so I'll have to go down there in the new year and really take my time.
Don't go on a weekend, then. It's madness in there and you might struggle to get a space and get through all those amps. They have loads of staff, but even more customers.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

jonny deep wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:22 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:33 am Anderton's actually stock all of the amps I want to try (they're the only shop that stocks Victory and very few shops stock H&K) so I'll have to go down there in the new year and really take my time.
Don't go on a weekend, then. It's madness in there and you might struggle to get a space and get through all those amps. They have loads of staff, but even more customers.
I've been there twice, generally when I have been working in the area and managed to spare an hour to pop by. I did actually know I going to be able to skive once so even took my guitar to a meeting with me and had a good hour with a H&K and a V30 in one of their rooms.

You're right though - if I'm going to turn up there with 800 quid to spend, I'll go on a weekday and call in advance to make sure they have all the gear I want, know I'll be spending some decent cash and that I'll be wanting a private room.

PMT Music in Bristol are alright, but their choice of amps is pretty limited - helpful staff and a good testing room, and they're only 5 minutes from my office!
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:36 am
Minerman wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:19 am

I'm in work! I won't be at my DAW until the weekend.
Oh....sorry dude, I just assumed you were able to pop those mp3's into Reaper, then twist some knobs, move some faders & try some shit to see how it turns out man...
JD01 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:07 am The Jube is definitely high on my list though. I'd love to compare it with a H&K. Its weird - they're a really similar price, but the H&K is mega versatile in comparison, whereas the Marshall seems to be both complex and non very versatile at all. The Victory isn't versatile, but then its also simple to set up. The new Blackstar stuff seems both very versatile and very simple to use.
I really like my little Jubilee, but keep in mind what the Gerg says:
Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:20 amI don't know anything about the Victory or Blackstar, but the H&Ks are way more versatile than the Jubilee if that's a concern. One thing I'm finding that's good about the Jubilee, like any good Marshall, it sounds good pretty much no matter how you set it. It never really sounds bad. It's not my particular kind of sound, but it's always good. But it's also kind of always the same sound, so while it always sounds good, it also always kind of sounds the same. But as I've said, I'm not the right guy to showcase a Jubilee. It really is a lead players amp.
And I apologize in advance for this long-ass post but...

It's not a very versatile amp IMO, it goes from a really clean to a pretty dirty sound...While it's got more gain than most old-school Marshall amps, it's not a high gain amp to me...I've gotten used to the amount of gain the EVH LBX has, but still the Jubilee doesn't have as much gain as the 100w or 1w DSL's I've had, so again, IMO, it's not a high-gain amp...

If you're looking for a really versatile amp that goes from spanky clean to high gain mayhem, then you'll need to look at something other than the mini Jubilee...If you're looking for an 80's-ish Marshall tone, but with a different flavor, the mini Jube may be for you...It just depends on how different of a flavor you're after...I'll be honest, to me this amp is completely different after spending a little time with it compared to the 30-45 minutes I got to piddle with it trying it out...It's nothing like I expected, so if you do get one, don't be surprised if it sounds funky until you get used to it...

I know the price of the 20w Jubilee is steep for you Jdude, so my advice is before you commit to buy one, keep going to the music shops that have 'em, & play 'em as much as you can before you drop any coin on one...I'd hate to see you drop that kind of $$$ on an amp, then end up not liking it man...

Maybe there's a music shop that rents equipment dude, like Shan did with the JCM800??? IMHO, that would be the way to go before dropping over $1,000 on something you may not be completely happy with...

Oh, btw, it's instant Slash tone with a humbucker guitar dude... :lollers:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I've said all along...the Jubilee is a weirdo. It's a very unique Marshall. It's a Marshall for people that want a Marshall that doesn't sound like other Marshalls while still sounding like a Marshall. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:20 am I've said all along...the Jubilee is a weirdo. It's a very unique Marshall. It's a Marshall for people that want a Marshall that doesn't sound like other Marshalls while still sounding like a Marshall. :lollers2:
Lol....It's strange for sure, compared to the Marshall-y amps I've used, but I do like it...

I'm just trying to keep Jdude from spending his $$$ on something he might end up not liking completely, he works too many long, hard hours for that to happen...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Okay miner, one last quick crappy run with the Jube. I'm about to pack this bitch up.

LP Traditional - Burstbucker 3 bridge
Marshall Jubilee
Pres - 5
Bass - 7
Mid - 5
Treb - 6
Output Master - 6
Lead Master - 10
Gain - 6.5
Marshall 1960A 4x12 - WGS Green Berets
SM57 on axis, on grill, dustcap/cone seam, Audix i5 on axis, on grill, halfway across cone
50/50 blend
No EQ
LPJubeWGSGB.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg: Sorry I didn't get around to posting this before you had to take the amp back, but I fucked around & stayed up all damn night...I tried to post this a little earlier, but something was happening with the forum, but looks like our head honcho got things running again...

I had a listen to your Green Beret clip man, it actually sounds pretty good...I'll give it another spin after I get some sleep, I'm done for a few hours... :biggrin:

Here's my shitty tracks for the day... :smiles: :

SG > Mini Jubilee > V30 > 57-i5 50/50 blend
20w mode
Lead Channel
Presence: 8
Bass: 8
Mid: 5
Treble: 8
Output Master: 7
Lead Master: 7
Input Gain: 8

I did stumble onto a way to use the Mini Jubilee's di along with my daw effects I'd never tried before, running the di into Amplitube's cab section, but only using the room sounds, blended with the ISO cab...I think it sounds pretty good, but as usual, YMMV...

The second part of this playlist has the Amplitube room sounds, plus I used my univibe & panned the mic'd tracks out a little...I like it myself, reminds me of old 70's style blues rock...

These clips may need a little top end, seems I'm either too far one way or the other with this amp, but I was pretty happy with the sound/vibe at the time, so I just left it...

Here's the Mini Jube's di if you guys wanna try something weird like the Jubilee pre-amp into a JVM/Blackstar/whatever power section:
DI OUTPUT Mini Jubilee 11-30-2017.mp3
Sorry I didn't get this up earlier dudes...I'm gonna go crash...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH