The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Minerman

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by Minerman »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:46 pm Hey thanks Miner! I have to say that I'm pretty happy with this tone. It's got all of those Marshall qualities, and considering that it only made whisper-quiet sounds in the room at the time of recording, it suits my needs really well.
That's something I've chased for years dude, a good Marshall tone at little to no volume...I think what you've set up sounds great man, & especially since there's not much noise to deal with...
Tadpui wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:46 pmI like Pete. he's got great tastes in tone. And I agree that he's a damn fine player. That wildly lazy eye kinda fucks with me though, I'll admit that. I'm not proud that it bugs me, but it does. Not like I'm without tics that don't make for compelling video...

But holy shit, those are amazing sounding amps!
Yeah, the first time I saw Pete it kinda freaked me out, but I'm sure if he saw me, it'd freak him out too... :lollers:

He's a killer player that has toured the world with some pretty big names, & IMO he knows what he's talking about in his videos...

I agree those amps sound great...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:50 pm On Jdude's re-amp idea, that's pretty slick, I'm assuming the signal from the effects loop would be line level, so the only thing "extra" we'd have to do is run a cable from the send straight into our interface, right???

I have a couple line inputs on the back of my interface, but I'd probably have to plug my amp's send into an input with a mic pre-amp, correct???

I'm capable of recording 3 tracks at once now since I dug out my old Art Tube Mp, & found a power supply for it...I'm pretty sure it would color/change the sound, but I could possibly do this in a 2 step process...

Lemme know for sure what we need to do on this guys...
One problem would be at the amp itself. If you plug in to only half of the fx loop, it usually kills the power section. You'd have to monitor through the DAW. You should just go straight from the fx send to a line input on the interface. That will bypass the preamps.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. I'm finally actually looking at the back of this Jube and it has an actual DI output.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Well I still have this Jubilee, so miner if you wanna try anything else, I'll have it for three more days.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I have missed so much in here. What a friggin amazing experiment guys. I am gonna go back and listen to them all again, I was just sort of skimming. I think i am missing the finer details.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Ok miner, this might be the last go-round with the Jubilee. It's gone on thursday. I just retubed it and set the bias blah blah.

Two sets of clips for you, one lead channel, and one clean channel with rhythm clip.

Les Paul Traditional - Burstbucker 3 bridge/57 Classic neck
Marshall Jubilee 2555
Every single knob on 5
Marshall 1960B 4x12 Celestion Vintage 30
Shure SM57 on axis, on grill, dustcap/cone seam - Audix i5 on axis, on grill, halfway to edge on cone
No EQ or FX
D.I. taken straight from amp

You can try JD's suggestion with the DI and run it back through the power section of your mini-Jube. Maybe that'll work for a comparison?

Lead channel:
LPJubeV3057.mp3
LPJubeV30i5.mp3
LPJubeDI1.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Greg_L on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Clean channel w/ Rhythm Clip:
LPJubeRClipV3057.mp3
LPJubeRClipV30i5.mp3
LPJubeRClipDI.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I like the 1st 2 clean clips best. Is it me or is it all a little fizzy?
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I really don't know if this amp can not sound a little fizzy. I think that's maybe part of it's appeal to some people. Grinding mids and highs.

My mic placements were with them being blended in mind. I forgot to include a blended mic clip.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:39 pm You can try JD's suggestion with the DI and run it back through the power section of your mini-Jube. Maybe that'll work for a comparison?
Would I just run the di into my amp from my re-amp box (which will make the signal instrument level), or straight from my interface (which I'm assuming would be line level)?
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:13 pm
Would I just run the di into my amp from my re-amp box (which will make the signal instrument level), or straight from my interface (which I'm assuming would be line level)?
Fuck if I know. Lol. I don't know how this kind of trickery works.

If it were me, I'd go straight line out at unity into the fx return of your amp and see what happens.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:19 pm
Minerman wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:13 pm
Fuck if I know. Lol. I don't know how this kind of trickery works.

If it were me, I'd go straight line out at unity into the fx return of your amp and see what happens.
Ok, I was leaning toward straight from the interface to the amp because the re-amp box might make the signal too funky for what it's supposed to be...

Gimme a little while & I'll throw some comparison clips up, I won't have to fuck with much, both those mics & the V30 are still in the ISO cab...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Ok, here are the di's re-amped, but I gotta say Greg's clips make mine sound atrocious...Taking up for myself here I'm sure the bigger cabinet & bigger iron in the 100w he used are a big factor, but it is what it is...

I set everything on my amp on "5", except for the master volume, I put it around 7-8 because I thought it might push the air into the mic a little more evenly...

There are spots where my little amp has the same sort of character, but in all reality, my little 20 watter just doesn't compare to the real thing...I obviously could've dialed the mic placement in a lot better, but again, it is what it is...

The clips switch from Greg's to mine throughout all these tracks, & just like the last playlist you can skip toward the end then the next clip will start automatically...

When using the di (ran from a line out on my interface to the fx return on my amp), I'm getting a nasty ground loop hum, but again, it is what it is...

I'm gonna have to post some better clips to redeem myself here... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rayc

Post by rayc »

MM,
Doesn't the DI have a loop switch somewhere to deal with that.
Both tones on your sample sound mid scooped to me - not bad at all just scooped. That is the modern sound I suppose.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:59 pm Ok, here are the di's re-amped, but I gotta say Greg's clips make mine sound atrocious...Taking up for myself here I'm sure the bigger cabinet & bigger iron in the 100w he used are a big factor, but it is what it is...

I set everything on my amp on "5", except for the master volume, I put it around 7-8 because I thought it might push the air into the mic a little more evenly...

There are spots where my little amp has the same sort of character, but in all reality, my little 20 watter just doesn't compare to the real thing...I obviously could've dialed the mic placement in a lot better, but again, it is what it is...

The clips switch from Greg's to mine throughout all these tracks, & just like the last playlist you can skip toward the end then the next clip will start automatically...

When using the di (ran from a line out on my interface to the fx return on my amp), I'm getting a nasty ground loop hum, but again, it is what it is...

I'm gonna have to post some better clips to redeem myself here... :minernuggs:
Yeah I don't think this little experiment worked. Lol. Your clips sound very mid scooped.

I have this amp for one more day. It goes away tomorrow. So if you have time, do what I just did, mic your own clips, and let me send your DI track through this Jubilee and see what happens. I still have my mics set up from my last set of clips.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rayc wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:12 pm MM,
Doesn't the DI have a loop switch somewhere to deal with that.
Both tones on your sample sound mid scooped to me - not bad at all just scooped. That is the modern sound I suppose.
AFAIK I don't have a ground switch on either the amp or my interface dude...

I could try to use my re-amp box in reverse, which would turn the signal from instrument to line level, but I'm not sure my re-amp box would even work in reverse, some do, some don't...

I think my amp has the same pre-amp as the big amp, it just doesn't have the ass to push air like a big amp does...My ISO cab is definitely taking away from some chunk/bottom end, but again, it is what it is...
Greg_L wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:34 pm Yeah I don't think this little experiment worked. Lol. Your clips sound very mid scooped.

I have this amp for one more day. It goes away tomorrow. So if you have time, do what I just did, mic your own clips, and let me send your DI track through this Jubilee and see what happens. I still have my mics set up from my last set of clips.
Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed at the results, but it is what it is...I think my amp can sound pretty similar to the original, but it just doesn't have enough ass to push air like the big amp, but that's expected...I still like it, & I'm pretty confident I can pull off some pretty decent tones with my setup, the best part is that it's almost silent...There's always a trade-off though, in this case being quiet takes a lot of the balls from the tone...It is what it is, but I'm still pretty happy with this thing...

I'll post some di's in a little while dude, maybe you can conjure up some re-amp wizardry on your end...

There are a few more things I need to try on my end, like the T-75/G12H speakers, & using the SD-1 as a boost...I fucked around with the G12H the first day or so I got the amp, but didn't really take the time to dial it in...To be honest, I think that's a big part of my problems, getting in a hurry instead of taking my time to set things up best...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:16 pm

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed at the results, but it is what it is...I think my amp can sound pretty similar to the original, but it just doesn't have enough ass to push air like the big amp, but that's expected...I still like it, & I'm pretty confident I can pull off some pretty decent tones with my setup, the best part is that it's almost silent...There's always a trade-off though, in this case being quiet takes a lot of the balls from the tone...It is what it is, but I'm still pretty happy with this thing...

I'll post some di's in a little while dude, maybe you can conjure up some re-amp wizardry on your end...

There are a few more things I need to try on my end, like the T-75/G12H speakers, & using the SD-1 as a boost...I fucked around with the G12H the first day or so I got the amp, but didn't really take the time to dial it in...To be honest, I think that's a big part of my problems, getting in a hurry instead of taking my time to set things up best...
I don't think this experiment is indicative of anything yet. The process of sending my DI track through your power amp just might not work the way we think it should. Let's see how your your track does through my set up and we'll go from there because your own tracks fully made on your end sound fine.

Make sure you use the dedicated DI output on the back of your amp straight to a line in, bypassing the interface's preamps. Then I'll send it into the big Jube's fx return and we'll see what happens.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:30 pm I don't think this experiment is indicative of anything yet. The process of sending my DI track through your power amp just might not work the way we think it should. Let's see how your your track does through my set up and we'll go from there because your own tracks fully made on your end sound fine.

Make sure you use the dedicated DI output on the back of your amp straight to a line in, bypassing the interface's preamps. Then I'll send it into the big Jube's fx return and we'll see what happens.
Yeah man, like I said this little amp has some pretty decent (IMO) tones, I just need to buckle down & get 'em recorded...

I've got the signal chain how it's supposed to be, I think a lot of the difference in the last little experiment came down to the mics...I already know my ISO cab ain't gonna have the low end a 4x12 has, but I should be able to find a happy medium somewhere...

Something completely off-base here, are those One Spot power supplies or similar worth a fuck??? The reason I'm asking is I have a small pedalboard in the making, & I wanna just be able to leave it all hooked up to use whenever...My main concern would be adding noise to my rig...BTW, I'm still using batteries for all my pedals except the talk box, it doesn't even use 'em... :redface:

This isn't a One Spot, but it's about the same I'd imagine...There are only a couple more pedals I'd even consider, a Tube Screamer, & a better sounding Uni-Vibe, so this would cover all my bases pedal-wise, any other effects I'd get from the daw...Again, my biggest concern would be adding noise to my rig...
Whaddya think of these type of power supplies for pedals???
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:49 pm
Yeah man, like I said this little amp has some pretty decent (IMO) tones, I just need to buckle down & get 'em recorded...

I've got the signal chain how it's supposed to be, I think a lot of the difference in the last little experiment came down to the mics...I already know my ISO cab ain't gonna have the low end a 4x12 has, but I should be able to find a happy medium somewhere...
One thing that sort of surprised me with the "all knobs on 5 thing" was how comparatively quiet the Jubilee is compared to my other amps. I think the lead channel volume and output master both on 5 combines to probably be like a 2-3 on regular amps. The lead channel volume turns the signal down, and the output master turns it down again. It's kind of like the JVM in that regard. The Jube still seemed quieter though. My 800 or 2204 on 3 is much louder than the Jubilee on 5/5. This just confirms what I always thought anyway - just leave the lead channel volume dimed and use the output master as the actual volume control.
Something completely off-base here, are those One Spot power supplies or similar worth a fuck??? The reason I'm asking is I have a small pedalboard in the making, & I wanna just be able to leave it all hooked up to use whenever...My main concern would be adding noise to my rig...BTW, I'm still using batteries for all my pedals except the talk box, it doesn't even use 'em... :redface:

This isn't a One Spot, but it's about the same I'd imagine...There are only a couple more pedals I'd even consider, a Tube Screamer, & a better sounding Uni-Vibe, so this would cover all my bases pedal-wise, any other effects I'd get from the daw...Again, my biggest concern would be adding noise to my rig...
Whaddya think of these type of power supplies for pedals???
I think it's fine. I used to use a One-Spot with no problem at all.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:06 pm One thing that sort of surprised me with the "all knobs on 5 thing" was how comparatively quiet the Jubilee is compared to my other amps. I think the lead channel volume and output master both on 5 combines to probably be like a 2-3 on regular amps. The lead channel volume turns the signal down, and the output master turns it down again. It's kind of like the JVM in that regard. The Jube still seemed quieter though. My 800 or 2204 on 3 is much louder than the Jubilee on 5/5. This just confirms what I always thought anyway - just leave the lead channel volume dimed and use the output master as the actual volume control.
Then the Jubilee really is an odd Marshall amp dude...You may not believe this, but I think the EVH amp I have is louder than my Mini Jubilee, dunno what the deal is, but it just seems louder to me...Go figure...

Greg_L wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:06 pmI used to use a One-Spot with no problem at all.
Cool, thanks man, I've been needing to buy a power supply forever, so I may spring for one before too long...I'm thinking of taking Liv's diy idea & make me a small pedalboard to keep everything in one place for whenever I wanna use 'em...

I need to post some clips, & it's something I won't use a lot, but the talk box I have is pretty cool...It doesn't even actually need to be connected to an amp, just the guitar on the input, with a mic for the tube...I've found it sounds better to me running the SD-1 into it, giving it a little more gain...That's something I've tried to mimic for years, & I just couldn't get close until I had the real thing...I'll throw up some talk box clips too...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH