The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I am so fucking far behind in this thread there is no way i can power through it all tonight. :(

It doesn't pay to neglect an ultra mega turbo power thread like the tone one. i am they are all great :(

What are the odds of everyone who has a mutt pup to maybe compile all your tones in his little end of the site? Like a mutt pup tone library? I know it may seem like a redundant task of sorts but i think it makes sense to showcase them there as well?

Thoughts?
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

rammer24 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:49 am Ray, the first version IS the Stones. That's why it's closer than mine. :like:
Doh,
Well, I was reasonably accurate then. We were talking about the solo tone weren't we - I'm sure the MT tone is "creamier" even in the sample provided.
Shows you how little my ears & I know.
Cheers
rayc
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

rayc wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:20 am Doh,
Well, I was reasonably accurate then. We were talking about the solo tone weren't we - I'm sure the MT tone is "creamier" even in the sample provided.
I just wish you had said mine was closer to the original, and that first one was nowhere close. :D
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

A couple of my Mesa, I think Im loving what Im hearing in my room but not so much what I have recorded. A couple weeks ago a buddy came by and we jammed a bit and the amp sounded good in the room, but on the recording not as good as I originally thought(I always record jams since everything is usually set up). Still a little boxy with some fizz in there. What do you think? Sorry for the drum bleed as well. These are just raw tracks. If you hang around until the end of the first clip I go into some cool/weird synthy sounds
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

If anyone would care to comment on this. It's a short clip on a Marshall DSL40c.

The details... Les Paul, bridge pickup.
-- Volume - 8
-- Tone - 10

Marshall DSL40C, green crunch.
-- Gain - 4
-- Volume - 5
-- Treble - 7
-- Mid - 5
-- Bass - 5
-- Presence - 5
-- Resonance - 0

SM57, pointed straight, on grill, just inside the dustcap.

Thanks.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:28 pm A couple of my Mesa, I think Im loving what Im hearing in my room but not so much what I have recorded. A couple weeks ago a buddy came by and we jammed a bit and the amp sounded good in the room, but on the recording not as good as I originally thought(I always record jams since everything is usually set up). Still a little boxy with some fizz in there. What do you think? Sorry for the drum bleed as well. These are just raw tracks. If you hang around until the end of the first clip I go into some cool/weird synthy sounds
I think they both sound relatively similar - they have the boxy/muffled sound that I'm really used to from my blackstar... have you boosted the low mids/hi end of the bass? That's exactly the sort of thing that my blackstar was getting before I started notching 400hz with an EQ in the loop. On the plus side - its sounds fucking massive and loud to me - cleaning up that muffled sound could really make this sound good I reckon.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

TripleM wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:02 pm If anyone would care to comment on this. It's a short clip on a Marshall DSL40c.

-- Volume - 8
-- Tone - 10

-- Gain - 4
-- Volume - 5
-- Treble - 7
-- Mid - 5
-- Bass - 5
-- Presence - 5
-- Resonance - 0

Thanks.
That's pretty harsh and piercing to me, you say inside the dustcap - maybe outside could be better. Guitars sound a touch out of tune too, don't suppose that matters for the tone, but it might be accentuating that harshness.
rayc

Post by rayc »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:28 pm A couple of my Mesa, I think Im loving what Im hearing in my room but not so much what I have recorded.
It sounds massive in a 90s way. Big but a little as you described. Keep at it.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

TripleM wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:02 pm If anyone would care to comment on this. It's a short clip on a Marshall DSL40c.
Beefy but there are some odd highs in it.
The 1st chugga bit sounded cool but the two chords up from that sounded strained and mainly toppy.
WAY better than I've achieved lately though.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:28 pm A couple of my Mesa, I think Im loving what Im hearing in my room but not so much what I have recorded. A couple weeks ago a buddy came by and we jammed a bit and the amp sounded good in the room, but on the recording not as good as I originally thought(I always record jams since everything is usually set up). Still a little boxy with some fizz in there. What do you think? Sorry for the drum bleed as well. These are just raw tracks. If you hang around until the end of the first clip I go into some cool/weird synthy sounds
They both sound like typical Mesa tracks to me. In a real mix those tones would probably work pretty good. They are a little boxy, but probably not bad enough to worry about IMO.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

-- Volume - 8
-- Tone - 10

-- Gain - 4
-- Volume - 5
-- Treble - 7
-- Mid - 5
-- Bass - 5
-- Presence - 5
-- Resonance - 0

Thanks.
I think it's pretty good, a little thin and scratchy, but not bad. I think you could beef it up some by simply giving it some bass, or turning your guitar up, or moving the mic out across the speaker away from the dustcap. The big problem as I hear it is that the guitar sounds out of tune, out of intonation, or your fretting is sloppy. An out of tune guitar makes even the best tones sound like ass.
Rebel Yell
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Thanks guys. A couple of tweaks and a new clip...

Les Paul, bridge pickup.
-- Volume - 7 (it was 8 before)
-- Tone - 10

-- Gain - 4
-- Volume - 6 (before it was 5)
-- Treble - 7
-- Mid - 5
-- Bass - 5
-- Presence - 5
-- Resonance - 0

SM57, pointed straight, on grill, just outside (before it was inside) the dustcap.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

TripleM wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:54 pm Thanks guys. A couple of tweaks and a new clip...

Les Paul, bridge pickup.
-- Volume - 7 (it was 8 before)
-- Tone - 10

-- Gain - 4
-- Volume - 6 (before it was 5)
-- Treble - 7
-- Mid - 5
-- Bass - 5
-- Presence - 5
-- Resonance - 0

SM57, pointed straight, on grill, just outside (before it was inside) the dustcap.
That's better than the other one. The guitar sounds better anyway. Sounds in tune. The harshness is mostly gone. Sounds smoother.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Here's an update on the Klonz multi circuit amp. It's part one the 2nd vid is with tube swaps, (Joyo actually provide a couple of extra tube sets so they can be swapped in/out to more accurately match the type of amp/amp sound one may be after). I'd have no use for the modern circuits - hi gain not being something I'm interested in BUT the vintage side sounds cool.
I've watched the 2nd vid and the tube swapping is basic and definitely not tube sniffing, just EL34 for EL84, and I was/am surprised at the difference the critters made and that's after my 1st, and successful, tube swap. It's not cheap at US$1600.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz15CA07aWc[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Thanks Greg.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Trip, I can't re-listen to your new tone now, but I'm certain that Greg knows a decent Marshall tone!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

:lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Here's a recent track with my new guitar through my recently tube modded amp. The new guitar/amp combo is nominally in the right channel but as I've found a couple of devises recently that are wired the wrong way I've put a loud string bump at the beginning to indicate the channel with the new track.
I had to add a 3db high shelf to the track as it came trough a little dark - that'd be the humbuckers I suppose in addition to my darkish amp/speaker combo.
On the previous iteration of the track I had played open chords and it wasn't entirely satisfactory so I just did the same power chords as the oter guitar side but changed the strum a bit. The guitar amp combo doesn't readily feedback so there's no long starting to squeal sustain for this one - probably enough on the other side anyway.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rus6sw50h70a6 ... g.mp3?dl=0
Thoughts/suggestions/utterances?
Last edited by rayc on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

MMM,
I've only just noted you new one.
Nice and crisp - the thing mine lacks given the chords etc I used.
Cheers
rayc