The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rammer24

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by rammer24 »

Where'd he go?

RAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D
Last edited by rammer24 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Go way back and you'll find a radio friendly little number called "Hush". Greg would love it!
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Just to add one (hopefully) last thing about the Blackmore clip, which I know probably doesn't even belong here, so I apologize.....I don't know hwo to explain this but I can HEAR the volume in that track. Volume is all relative, so it should be impossible to really hear the volume of an isolated instrument, but it just feels loud as fuck.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

einstein magoo wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:31 pm Go way back and you'll find a radio friendly little number called "Hush". Greg would love it!
Right. Forgot about Hush. To me that's almost not even Purple. Nick Simper and Rod Evans instead of Gillan and Glover. Good song, though, even if they ripped off the "Na na na na" melody from "Day in the Life". :)
rayc

Post by rayc »

Hush is cool. Joe South wrote a classic didn't he? DPs version is cool though their early Beatles covers are less so.
I have a couple or three albums and a singles album.
The singles album is killer.
I also have the expanded/remastered of Burn & In Rock.
The guitar track just reinforced the amount of chugga on that song for me.
I don't like DP post RB and I don't like RB post DP.
Black Country Communion's version of Burn is cool too (it does have an OLD DP bassist & 2nd line singer to help).
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB_JQWX9uOE[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Yeah, their beatles covers are not good.
That's a great way of putting it.

I love Glen Hughes. I liked his voice better than Coverdale's on the parts he did on "Stormbringer"". I lost interest in them after that album.
rayc

Post by rayc »

rammer24 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:49 am Yeah, their beatles covers are not good.
That's a great way of putting it.

I love Glen Hughes. I liked his voice better than Coverdale's on the parts he did on "Stormbringer"". I lost interest in them after that album.
Odd to have him as a 2nd vocalist for a period isn't it.
I've followed BCC a bit because of his voice, he still has the mid 70s voice it in his mid 70s.
Oddly I don't think much of Bonamassa as a blues rock thing but I quite like him when he rocks a little harder with BCC.
I think it's prejudice born of youth - I liked Zep LOVED Budgie & Sabbath but found RB a little unimpressive when in that bundle.
Mind you phased drum solo intros aren't my thing.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXqUCUc7Weo[/BBvideo]
And this is a bit arty.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHPCtgm ... M4&index=2[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrJOIXOldnQ[/BBvideo]
They also did some odd stereo mixes.
The Budgie fellow is where Geddy Lee goes his stylings from...
Early step down guitar tuning contemporary with Iommi.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

einstein magoo wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:31 pm Go way back and you'll find a radio friendly little number called "Hush". Greg would love it!
No he wouldn't.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Budgie, are from around here. They're still really popular
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:48 am Budgie, are from around here. They're still really popular
They only stopped playing about 18 months ago when Bourke Shelley had a heart attack.
They played a couple of Ks from here about 5 years ago I passed because the set list was chokers with lots of post TB. All reports were that they were fabulous and did do a heap of stuff from the big 6 - more fool me.
Premium Welsh Hard Rock verging on metal. The 1st 5 LPs are fabulous - that is until Tony Bourge left.
Their version of Baby Please Don't Go is massive - also a master class in subtle bass changes to avoid player boredom.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:05 am No he wouldn't.
It's a cool pop song - but that's all it is/was/will be.
It has added value as an early transforming DP curio.
they were prepared to do almost anything back then to a) attract attention & subsequently b) get a hit.
Cheers
rayc
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

rayc wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:45 am Hush is cool. Joe South wrote a classic didn't he? DPs version is cool though their early Beatles covers are less so.
I have a couple or three albums and a singles album.
The singles album is killer.
I also have the expanded/remastered of Burn & In Rock.
The guitar track just reinforced the amount of chugga on that song for me.
Black Country Communion's version of Burn is cool too (it does have an OLD DP bassist & 2nd line singer to help).
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB_JQWX9uOE[/BBvideo]
Burn has got to be my all time favorite DP tune. I wore out a few LP's listening to that one. Never could play it although I fought with it for a while when I was a kid. Wouldn't have done it justice anyway lol... Good video Ray :like:
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Haven't posted a toane in a long time.

I'm covering "Time Waits For No One" by the Stones. I'm trying to get close to Mick Taylor's sound in the solos. Doesn't have to be exact, but I'd like to know if it's close enough to keep the same feel and get pretty close to the same sound.

I'll post both versions of the solo that fades out the song.

(As usual, excuse the drum machine on my version for now. It will obviously be replaced with real drums).
Time Waits Solo Stones.mp3
Time Waits Solo Rami.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:30 pm Haven't posted a toane in a long time.

I'm covering "Time Waits For No One" by the Stones. I'm trying to get close to Mick Taylor's sound in the solos. Doesn't have to be exact, but I'd like to know if it's close enough to keep the same feel and get pretty close to the same sound.

(As usual, excuse the drum machine on my version for now. It will obviously be replaced with real drums).
That's close Rami, I think the original has a little more high end, but that could come from the mastering or whatever else they did to the Stones' record overall...

If you wanna get really picky, the original sounds like it has a phase effect on it, really lightly...It comes through stronger in some spots than others to my ears...

Pretty good dude...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Minerman wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:48 pm That's close Rami, I think the original has a little more high end, but that could come from the mastering or whatever else they did to the Stones' record overall...

If you wanna get really picky, the original sounds like it has a phase effect on it, really lightly...It comes through stronger in some spots than others to my ears...

Pretty good dude...
Thanx Miner. Yeah, I was going to mention that the original seems to have some phase shifter or chorus on it. I could have done that, but I really don't like the sound of phasers/choruses on guitar, in general. So, I decided to try to get close without the modulation. I'm using the neck pick-up for this. I think he is, too, but I don't have a good enough ear for that kind of thing to be 100% sure. I know that when I tried it with the bridge pick-up, it didn't come close. I'll see if I can get a bit more high end on my clip.

Thanx for the listen, dude. :minernuggs:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:02 pm Thanx Miner. Yeah, I was going to mention that the original seems to have some phase shifter or chorus on it. I could have done that, but I really don't like the sound of phasers/choruses on guitar, in general. So, I decided to try to get close without the modulation. I'm using the neck pick-up for this. I think he is, too, but I don't have a good enough ear for that kind of thing to be 100% sure. I know that when I tried it with the bridge pick-up, it didn't come close. I'll see if I can get a bit more high end on my clip.

Thanx for the listen, dude. :minernuggs:
The fact you try to get close, but don't try to imitate it completely like a lot of folks do, is way cool...you put your own spin on it & make it your own is how a cover should be done IMO...I really, really like your "Custard Pie" cover dude, I've recently re-discovered Zeppelin since I started my drumming journey, & obviously, Bohnam...You've been a pretty big inspiration for a lot of the songs I'm attempting over here... :minernuggs:

I like the neck p'up sound for leads dude, I think you may be right about the original using it, it's got the fat sound we all like, but the bite/attack is different than the bridge p'up...I like using the neck p'up especially for slide...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Rami, I've long been a fan of the original. i enjoyed listening to both versions.
The 1st of the two sounds VERY close though has a little more distortion in a couple of places BUT has the creamy tone down pat.
The 2nd version isn't as creamy and sounds rather different to the original after the 1st couple of bars.
Ace playing mate, GREAT cover.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:30 pm Haven't posted a toane in a long time.

Time Waits Solo Stones.mp3

Time Waits Solo Rami.mp3
The Stones' version is more raunchy. It seems like it probably has a mild fuzz on it. Yours is close enough though. You got the general feel going. No Stones superfan would complain about it.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Ray, the first version IS the Stones. That's why it's closer than mine. :like:

Greg, thanx. I'll see if I can add some distortion. But honestly, if it's close, I'm happy. I'm a waffler when it comes to covers. I like staying pretty close to the original, but still making it mine to a certain extent. But I can't do what you do with your covers, for example. I find it awesome that you can take a song like "No Woman No Cry", and totally make it yours. I can't change a song I like that much. :punk: