The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rammer24

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by rammer24 »

miroslav wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:39 pm Is this another hit-n-run....? :P
It's not about me. That's what I define as a "hit and run". I guess when you set a bar at a certain level, you're stuck with that expectation. There are many guys here who come and go for weeks at a time and nobody asks any questions. But I guess since I went from posting all the time to posting a lot less, anything I post now is considered a "hit and run". This cross I must bear. :D
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

I just want someone to show me the line that gets Ritchie from this:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/0Qp_NLg1SFI[/BBvideo]

...to this:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYKTogyz1e0[/BBvideo]
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

It's called "Pussy Whipped". He's fucking the singer. It's another Yoko situation, except that this chick is hot.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

rammer24 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:42 pm It's not about me.
It's always about you.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uAj4wBIU-8[/BBvideo]
rammer24 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:58 pm It's called "Pussy Whipped". He's fucking the singer. It's another Yoko situation, except that this chick is hot.
Yeah...I can see that...she must really do something special to get him to dress like Peter Pan.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

He has always had a "Greensleeves" thing going on. Now, it's just pussified.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I invented it's not you it's me.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:38 pm Hey guys, how's it going?

I'm not sure if I should have posted this in the "Random Youtube stuff" thread or here. I'll move it if you guys think I should.

I thought this was awesome. "Highway Star" isolated guitar track. This is a Strat into a Marshall. That's all I know about Blackmore's set up. I'm sure we can find out more if we dug a little more.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/0Qp_NLg1SFI[/BBvideo]
Marshall Major. 200w behemoth.

Pretty cool vid. Love that crazy harmonizing solo.

I tried and tried to like Deep Purple. Can't do it. I just can't. Too proggy, way too much keybord, fuck that shit.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

They're the only band with keyboards that I really like. It's not prog, but I can see how the classical influence can be a turn off if you're not into that.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I'm sure metal has its' roots in a million different places, but many people say this particular song, with its' chugging rythm was the birth of metal, or at least part of it.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Yep, Blackmore is known for using the 200w Marshall Major...I can't even imagine how loud that'd be running full tilt, surely it wouldn't be twice as loud as a 100w??? If so, holy fuck, that's more than loud, that's fuckin' painful...As much as I like to get loud, I think that'd be a bit much even for me...

Rami: You're correct sir, Blackmore was/is a big influence on the classical/neo-shredders like Yngwie Malmsteem & Jdude...Randy Rhoads is up there too, but Blackmore was doing it long before Rhoads...

I thought I had some Deep Purple isolated (Rock Band) tracks but I don't...I do have a shit-load of other stuff if anyone's interested...Not sure how legit they are, but they can be kinda useful as a learning tool...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:58 pm Yep, Blackmore is known for using the 200w Marshall Major...I can't even imagine how loud that'd be running full tilt, surely it wouldn't be twice as loud as a 100w??? If so, holy fuck, that's more than loud, that's fuckin' painful...As much as I like to get loud, I think that'd be a bit much even for me...
No. it's not twice as loud. It can't be. A cranked 100w amp is only 3db louder than 50w, so I'd assume a 200w is only about 3db louder than a 100w.
Rami: You're correct sir, Blackmore was/is a big influence on the classical/neo-shredders like Yngwie Malmsteem & Jdude...
:lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

HAHA! I'm glad you laughed at that. I didn't catch it the first time. :D :D :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I found one of JD's guitar picks today.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:08 pm No. it's not twice as loud. It can't be. A cranked 100w amp is only 3db louder than 50w, so I'd assume a 200w is only about 3db louder than a 100w.
Rami: You're correct sir, Blackmore was/is a big influence on the classical/neo-shredders like Yngwie Malmsteem & Jdude...
:lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2:
Yeah, I forgot about the 3db 100w > 50w thing, but still, the Major has to be painfully loud...Dunno how it compares to the others, but the 100w DSL I had would literally shake the walls of my house, pictures & shit would be hitting the floor...

I wondered if you guys would catch the little Jdude thing I threw in there.... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Minerman wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:22 pm Yeah, I forgot about the 3db 100w > 50w thing...
It's that damn logarithmic shit... :D
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:16 pm I found one of JD's guitar picks today.
WTF is that...an elephant's toe nail?
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

miroslav wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:01 pm
Minerman wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:22 pm Yeah, I forgot about the 3db 100w > 50w thing...
It's that damn logarithmic shit... :D
:minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rayc

Post by rayc »

Wow, That Blackmore track really enforces just how boring DP could be.
I don't mind some DP, the 3 min singles mainly, and I actually prefer the heavy organ tracks because RB doesn't interest me much.
Cheers
rayc
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Come on, Ray. You know that any islolated track can sound "boring" without the context of the whole song. I mean, if you find DP boring anyway, then yeah. But that track is just like any other guitar track in a 5 piece band. Personally, I can see why someone would find DP boring, but of all their songs, I find "Highway Star" anything but boring. :)
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Other than "Smoke on the Water", do they even have any singles?