The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Minerman

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:19 pm I know you loved that amp. Fuck it. Sell enough stuff until you can get another one.
Yeah man, I really did...From the first chord that came outta that thing, I was hooked...I've got a few things here that don't get used as much as others, & I wouldn't think twice about getting rid of them...$1100 is a big chunk of cash for me, & would take a long time for me to save...

The wheels are turnin'... :lollers:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Modded Marshall Input I experiments.
All MV5 V 8
1. all EQ at 5, P full L then center then R (looking from front of head with knob on back).
All following have P full R
2. EQ as above moving through PUps Bridge to middle to neck
3. As above with DS1 full level boost no drive and tone at 12o'clock
4. Bridge PU a) bass full b) mid full, c )Treble full & d) ALL full
Modded Marshall V8sortedB.mp3
It sounds MUCH better in the room so I'm still not capturing the thing well but this does show an improvement.
Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:14 pm Modded Marshall Input I experiments.
All MV5 V 8
1. all EQ at 5, P full L then center then R (looking from front of head with knob on back).
All following have P full R
2. EQ as above moving through PUps Bridge to middle to neck
3. As above with DS1 full level boost no drive and tone at 12o'clock
4. Bridge PU a) bass full b) mid full, c )Treble full & d) ALL full
Modded Marshall V8sortedB.mp3
It sounds MUCH better in the room so I'm still not capturing the thing well but this does show an improvement.
Thoughts?
You're starting to get there with the pedal. That channel will not go into the Plexi meltdown though without the mod being finished. :frown:

Regardless, it still sounds pretty good.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:11 am You're starting to get there with the pedal. That channel will not go into the Plexi meltdown though without the mod being finished. :frown:
Regardless, it still sounds pretty good.
Yep, needs completion but, oddly, it's WAY better than it was.
It seems that after I used the Presence control yesterday, previously it was at 12 o'clock and had been when delivered, the thing percked up quite a bit. I could only get break up with MV & V cranked.
I'm heartened by the improvement but I'll still pursue getting the other bits done.
I'll send you a draft of my communication before sending it so that you can suss out whether I'm correct and not aggressive etc if you don't mind.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:17 am
Yep, needs completion but, oddly, it's WAY better than it was.
It seems that after I used the Presence control yesterday, previously it was at 12 o'clock and had been when delivered, the thing percked up quite a bit. I could only get break up with MV & V cranked.
I'm heartened by the improvement but I'll still pursue getting the other bits done.
I'll send you a draft of my communication before sending it so that you can suss out whether I'm correct and not aggressive etc if you don't mind.
Yup, no problem.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:53 pm

not sure i am crazy in love with the tone but it's only been 25mins.

More to follow.
I wasn't in love with the tone because i think my blues driver pedal was still in the signal chain and engaged and i wasn't aware at the time. :facepalm2: I also think it's been on for weeks. :spacepalm: I noticed it yesterday when i went to play with this for a bit. Gilly (my dog) like to nap down there and it wouldn't be the first time shes taken a blanket down there and fell alseep on my pedals.

I had a 45 min window of opportunity yesterday so i seized it. I didn't run the Orange through it I was using the little 40W traynor. It sounded pretty good. better than the first time i gave it go. I think i could make it fit with my stuff. I guess i really have to capture tones in the daw for a definitive answer on how it works for me.

I really like that Traynor 40W too. It is pretty flexible and has a pretty wide range of what it could do for someone. So far i really like taking the clean channel and pushing it as hard as I can. That sound just appeals to me. This amp has an FX loops and i might throw the holy grail verb pedal on it and see if like it that much more. The boosted channel while giving me a bit more gain and grit just doesn't sound all that great to me It just has this weird background nuance to it like a woofy brick wall. Maybe it is desirable to those who like their gain high? The Pure channel that bypasses the tone stack is kind of cool and much like the clean but man is it ever fat sounding ! Maybe a little less headroom than the clean channel.

I had reneted this amp one before and didn't really doo too much mucking around with it but i know i liked things about it. Now that i know a little more shaping up some tones with the orange it's fun to have something else to play with and it's different functions.

I think at the end of the day though this amp is is probably built with an effects pedal kind of player in mind to shape and carve out a sound for themselves. However for someone like me that wants simple, and let the guitar and amp make their own noise i am thinking this could be a good match for me. It has no distinct flavor like Marshall, Orange or Fender but it does what it was designed to do.

I haven't even bothered mussing with the second DB reduced input or the 15W setting. I see no use for that yet
:happytrees:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:53 pm
I'd really appreciate if you could do some comparison clips between this 2x12 & your 4x12 if/when you get time...

That 2x12 is a bit smaller than most I've been considering, but if a cab that size delivers the goods, it's a win+win for me because it wouldn't take as much room as a 4x12 while still sounding good...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rayc

Post by rayc »

You've all probably seen this but it's not bad - the little old boost certainly has a bunch of Ace in it...though it's not a great vid as the text seems late or something and he seems to go over stuff again. In fact, I think the point is made by the time the 1st minute and a half has passed.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFFAceoqZQo[/BBvideo]
Last edited by rayc on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That does sound like Ace tone.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Cool tones...shit like that is what made me want to play guitar when I was a kid...

Greg: I have a question since you're a drummer & you're into KISS:
During the intro of "Cold Gin", is there a delay/echo on the hi-hat during that part or is he hitting the hi-hat like that???

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K1VM7-UO8s[/BBvideo]

It starts at 0:05...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. That's some kind of delay/echo. But you could duplicate that manually if you want to.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I was quite energized when I heard the 1st minute or so of Johan's Kissing. The tone is really rock the way I dug it in the 1st half of the 70s.
I wanted to go & play that sound but the missus was sleeping - she's a bit Rookwood this last week or so and has needed to take 3 hour naps etc in the day. I hope I get to make noise tomorrow.
Cheers
rayc
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

This is about 2 years old, but thought it'd be a good video to throw in here for all us Tonetards...If you guys have saw this already I apologize, but again, IMO this is a good video detailing how Angus/Malcolm (RIP)/Stevie get "that" sound...

Good info on gear, settings, all kinds of useful info here:
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5C7GKGxICg[/BBvideo]

Here are roughly where each section starts in case you don't wanna watch the whole thing...
  • 00:00 - 8:35 Guitars:
I thought it was interesting what he said about the p'ups, they have a lot lower output than I thought they'd have...Basically stock guitars with low output p'ups (compared to a lot of modern p'ups anyway), with wax to keep Angus' sweat from fucking the electronics up...
Ernie Ball .09-.42 string gauge, & uses a single guitar until it's out of tune before he'll swap...
I was pretty surprised that Angus uses these vintage guitars on the road...I'm sure he's got a shit-ton more, but still...
  • 14:00 Schaffer Replica:
Nothing really new here, but the Schaffer is a part Angus' sound, now anyway...
  • 16:00 Amp Tech:
There's an amp tech guy on the road with 'em, & all he does is work on amps, all day everyday...Pretty surprising, but later in the video you'll understand why...
  • 17:00 Amp Details:
To me, those amps are the holy grail of guitar tone, & are nothing short of badass...And yes, I'm a Marshall fanboy if you're wondering... :biggrin:
  • 17:20 Master Volume Mods:
The amps shown are modded with a master volume, I'm assuming this basically makes those amps sort of a JCM800...Again, badass...
  • 17:50 More Mods & "Museum Pieces":
Some amps are stock, some are modded, but no matter what's been done to 'em, they all have the same goal of sounding consistently...
  • 19:00 Amp Bias:
I was truly shocked with this, they don't follow the "rules" of biasing their amps, again, it's all about the sound...The tech guy said it was not uncommon to blow an amp up, & that's the reason for the amp guy...No compromising, if they've gotta blow amps up to get there, then that's what they do...
True rock & roll, there are no rules... :minernuggs:
  • 19:45 Power Tubes:
They use JJ tubes, I'm assuming because they could care less if they blow...They've got the coin to do what the fuck they want...
Again, true rockers... :punk:
  • 20:05 Amp Settings:
Another surprise that makes sense to me now, & has gave me some ideas help to dial in the Mini Jubilee...
  • Presence: 1
    Bass: 3
    Mid: 3
    Treb: 3
    Vol: 6
    Gain: 8
  • 21:15 Angus Doesn't Do Soundchecks:
Angus is a living legend IMO...He doesn't fuck with soundchecks, just grabs his guitar & hits the stage...
  • 21:30 Cabs, FOH mix ISO cab:
I've heard about the ISO cabs for years, but didn't know they have a 2x12 inside, I always assumed it was a 4x12...I'm positive these ISO cabs are nothing short of massive too...
Angus doesn't use in-ear monitoring, his stage cabs are his monitors, which I thought was interesting...I'd always assumed the cabs were just for looks & all the sound came from the ISO cab under the stage, but I was wrong...The FOH guitar sound is the ISO cab, but I'm sure all the roaring amps & cabs are part of the mix the audience hears too...Angus also has 2 of Malcom/Stevie's cabs on his side of the stage for monitors...
  • 23:15 Speakers:
Angus uses Greenbacks & Malcolm/Stevie use V30's...This just confirms some ideas I've had for years to get different tones in a mix, Greenback or similar on one side & V30 or similar on the other...
  • 24:00 Malcolm/Stevie's Rig:
He uses .12's :eep: , & like Angus, he uses a single guitar until it's out of tune...Great looking (IMO) & great sounding old-school guitars... :punk:
  • 29:20 Stevie/Malcolm's signal Chain & Amps:
I immediately thought of Ray, he's using basically the same amp... :smiles:
  • 30:00 Amp Details:
Pretty interesting his #1 amp is a modded metal front Super Bass w/extra gain stage/tube through the bass channel, but without a master volume...Again, immediately though of Ray when I heard this...
His #2 amp is a 1966/early 1967 JTM 45 100 watter, & #3 is another Super Bass...
He also uses 6 cabs on stage, loaded with V30's, an ISO cab under the stage & has 4 of Angus' cabs on his side...Again, Angus has 2 of Malcom/Stevie's cabs on his side of the stage for monitors...
  • 31:22 Amp Settings:
JTM 45:
  • Presence: 3
    Bass: 1
    Mid: 4
    Treble: 6.5
    Volume 1:7
    Volume 2:0
If you pause the video & use full screen you can see what the Super Bass amps are set on...

Sorry for such a long-ass post, but there's some really cool things here IMO, & thought it might help some of us Tonetards who are chasing tone... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah I've watched that one several times. It's definitely my favorite of the rig rundowns.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:09 pm Yeah I've watched that one several times. It's definitely my favorite of the rig rundowns.
I think it's pretty damn cool, & opened my eyes to a few things I thought I knew, like how they set their amps...I always assumed they set everything on 10, but I was way off...I'm gonna give some of these amp settings a shot tomorrow, I'll try to post some clips...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I like how they have an amp tech whose job is to rebuild their blown up amps day and night.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:37 pm I like how they have an amp tech whose job is to rebuild their blown up amps day and night.
Yeah, Angus' tech said they blew 3 or 4 up during one gig... :lollers:

I can see where they're coming from though, they've got the $$$ to do anything they wanna, & if they have to blow amps up to get where they wanna be tone-wise, they can...Must be nice...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rayc

Post by rayc »

I read recently that after Bon died Noddy Holder was approached but that he recommended Brian.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:09 am I read recently that after Bon died Noddy Holder was approached but that he recommended Brian.
Wow, that could have been truly disastrous.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Alright guys,

These are the new tones that I've been working on today - I'm actually pretty pleased with them, they seem to sit in a mix pretty well.
I've basically swapped my mic choices around, I've put the i5 on the edge of the cap and the 57 out towards the edge of the cone and blended them eqaully. When I had the mics the other way around with the i5 towards the edge of the cone I found that I had to turn the i5 down quite a lot 'cos it got dark really quickly. Weird, I always though the i5 was supposed to be a bright mic!
New Rhythm 1.mp3
New Rhythm 2.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.