The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Minerman

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:37 pm Ha no I'm intentionally mean and vague with those morons. It's so easy to rile them up. They take themselves way too seriously.
Yes, I knew this already & it's why I get a kick out of it, they don't have a clue about you over there... :lollers2:
Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:37 pmI need their tech help though. :frown:
I gotta admit, there are some guys over there that know a lot about that shit...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:41 pm
I gotta admit, there are some guys over there that know a lot about that shit...
There is one dude in particular over there that has been extremely kind and helpful and really seems to know his shit with the old designs.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:42 pm
Minerman wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:41 pm
There is one dude in particular over there that has been extremely kind and helpful and really seems to know his shit with the old designs.
There are actually a few guys over there that are pretty sharp...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:49 pm
Maybe a few at most. Not any more than that. Most of them are colossally stupid.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:51 pm
Minerman wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:49 pm
Maybe a few at most. Not any more than that. Most of them are colossally stupid.
:lollers:

I asked this a few days ago, but how hard do you think it'd be to make the rhythm clip push/pull footswitchable like the channel push/pull???
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:20 pm

:lollers:

I asked this a few days ago, but how hard do you think it'd be to make the rhythm clip push/pull footswitchable like the channel push/pull???
I have no idea how you'd do that. I reckon it would require a relay and some type of transistorized switching mechanism. I have no idea how to go about doing that though.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:22 pm I have no idea how you'd do that. I reckon it would require a relay and some type of transistorized switching mechanism. I have no idea how to go about doing that though.
No biggie, I thought since the channel knob is wired like that, I might be able to basically duplicate it for the rhythm clip...I'm sure there's more involved than I'm aware of & it's way over my head, so I'm not gonna attempt it, I just thought it'd be cool to have that feature footswitch-able...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:32 pm
No biggie, I thought since the channel knob is wired like that, I might be able to basically duplicate it for the rhythm clip...I'm sure there's more involved than I'm aware of & it's way over my head, so I'm not gonna attempt it, I just thought it'd be cool to have that feature footswitch-able...
I assume it could work the same way the clean/lead switching works, but how, no idea.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Re: The Tone Thread It's A Sin to Kill a Mockingbird...

Post by rayc »

Well, that didn't work. Oh well.
Last edited by rayc on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

:confused: :confused:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Ok, here's some more of my 80's cock-rock wanna-be tones... :biggrin:
There's no point in posting the amp settings because I put a little automation here/there, & the guitars have fx on'em...The rhythm guitars are the SG, the lead is the Ibanez, all of which were played through the Mini Jubilee & EVH 4x12/Greenback, using a single SM57, & the lead Ibanez tone had the SD-1 as a boost...

The more I play through this little 20w amp, the more I like it, & the more likely I am to get another, maybe even two of these little amps...If the Origin has a vintage-y vibe, I'll most likely pull the trigger on one, & I'm even considering getting a DSL40...I'd rather have a head version of the DSL, but I don't wanna miss out on the 4 modes...I really like the new power reduction Marshall has used on the Mini Jubilee, & if the new amps are like it, they should be great for me...

I'm not 100% sure about the rhythm tones on this though, they're a little thin to me, so I may re-amp 'em using 2 mics to try to thicken 'em up a little...

Lemme know what you guys think...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Haha spandexy!

I'm thinking the rhyhm gits are a little thin and a bit fizzy. They sound too scooped to me. I'd hit them with more bass and mids to fill it out. The lead tone is pretty much the same, but not as bad being as it's that kind of lead.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:30 pm Haha spandexy!
:smiles:
I just cannot believe nobody recognizes this tune dude...Yes, it's a cover, but I thought it was recognizable compared to the original...Maybe I'm way off, I dunno...lol...
Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:30 pmI'm thinking the rhyhm gits are a little thin and a bit fizzy. They sound too scooped to me. I'd hit them with more bass and mids to fill it out. The lead tone is pretty much the same, but not as bad being as it's that kind of lead.
Yeah man, that' why I'd mentioned re-amping 'em with 2 mics, most likely using the i5 for the top end & the '57 for the meat/low end...

The i5 is a little smoother, but the fill guitar parts during the chorus part need to be a little grittier & slightly different so I'm gonna try a few different things to see if I can get it closer to the original...

I'm gonna give you guys a couple of days to see if you can figure out what this song is...All I'll say for now is it came out on an album in 1980, from a band across the pond...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:34 pm
I just cannot believe nobody recognizes this tune dude...Yes, it's a cover, but I thought it was recognizable compared to the original...Maybe I'm way off, I dunno...lol...
I have no friggin clue what it could be.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

OK so I had a little bit of time to do some A/B stuff with the V30 4x12 and Greenback 2x12.

It's fucking night and day :confused: :confused: :confused:

I figured i'd try using roughly the same mic position on each speaker (50/50 cone cap 2inches off) for a true to life A/B but i think that's probably a really ineffective way to do the comparison so i think to give the greenbacks a fair go i need to move the mic around and find a happier place. My ear is just favoring the V30's right now becasue it's what i have spent so long working with.

Even more alarming, for whatever reason i am hearing some serious fizz in the tones i never really took note of before? now in all fairness when I have the tone mixed into some other noise like drums and other guitars and such, It doesn't bother me in the least. But for whatever reason yesterday i really didn't care for it ? Where do i start to zero in on that problem?

I seriously thought i had found my final happy place and again, i do very much like it when it is mixed in with the other shit so it's not an issue in that respect, but on it's own just noodling around in open air i hear it and it sort of fucks with my head. :cuckoo: I actually got bummed out.

I''ll get some clips ups later tonight or tomorrow so you can hear. I got company upstairs waiting for pizza. I'll pop on later.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Greenbacks are very different from V30s. If you're used to V30s, Greenbacks will confuse and infuriate you! And vice versa. They're not similar. You just have to do your work and learn their quirks like any other speaker.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:09 pm
One more hint, one of the guitar players just announced he has Parkinson's a week or so ago & won't be touring with them anymore...Pretty sad, this guy is one of my heroes from way back & is a fuckin' rippin' lead player...

Shan: V30's & Greenbacks are very different animals...I actually do not like V30's very much, but with the Mini Jubilee, it's the best speaker/amp match I have...

With a Greenback, what I've found is while there is more fizz, you can usually get rid of it by a slightly darker mic position, & if there's a high end loss, compensate with the treble knob...I know this ain't much help dude, but you're just gonna have to roll up your sleeves & learn your new speakers...The good thing is after you figure 'em out, just about any Greenback-type speaker (Celestion G12-65 for example) will have similar character, & will be similar to dial in...

The fizz associated with Greenbacks is amp dependent too dude, my EVH LBX, which has way more gain than the Jubilee, also is more fizzy...Usually this can be tamed by turning the volume knob up...

I've got faith in ya man, you'll figure your new speakers/cab out, it's the same thing as your V30 cab, just a matter of finding what works for your setup...It'll happen...
I'm still wanting to downsize to 2x12's myself dude...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:09 pm
Still no clue dude???
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:52 pm

Still no clue dude???
No man I really have no idea. The riff or your clue does not ring a bell at all. But you know I probably don't listen to whatever it is. :tongue:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:48 pm
Minerman wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:52 pm

Still no clue dude???
No man I really have no idea. The riff or your clue does not ring a bell at all. But you know I probably don't listen to whatever it is. :tongue:
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy4-MqF ... fE&index=2[/BBvideo]

A/B'ng this I think is ballpark...I need a lot more reverb on the guitars & lot more work on the lead chops though...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH