The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by Greg_L »

The i5 is much smoother than a 57. I prefer it as the bright mic placement, 57 for more body.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. This Jubilee is a real a piece of crap to deal with.
labels.jpg
board removed.jpg
board 1.jpg
board 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

at least it looks like there's a pretty good bit of room to work on stuff
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:45 am at least it looks like there's a pretty good bit of room to work on stuff
Yeah on one hand the spade connectors and ribbon cables make it easy to take apart. I got the board completely removed without even turning on the soldering iron. On the other hand, a tube amp being assembled like this just gives me an uneasy feeling. This thing is like a computer with tubes.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Holy crap, that looks as bad on the inside as this focusrite does! Except the Jube has way more scary looking giant capacitors in it.
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:52 pm New Rhythm 1.mp3
New Rhythm 2.mp3
ONE seems like it'd fit in a Buzzcocks' mix until the chugga. Both are good to my ears.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:56 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:45 am at least it looks like there's a pretty good bit of room to work on stuff
Yeah on one hand the spade connectors and ribbon cables make it easy to take apart. I got the board completely removed without even turning on the soldering iron. On the other hand, a tube amp being assembled like this just gives me an uneasy feeling. This thing is like a computer with tubes.
I like the OCD labeling.
Reminds me of the back of my stereo: all connections labeled both ends.
It does look odd, you're right.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:12 pm The i5 is much smoother than a 57. I prefer it as the bright mic placement, 57 for more body.
Yeah, me too now. I just hadn't had time to really experiment with it until now.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:43 am
JD01 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:52 pm New Rhythm 1.mp3
New Rhythm 2.mp3
ONE seems like it'd fit in a Buzzcocks' mix until the chugga. Both are good to my ears.
Yeah, I'm pleased with these to be fair.
Looking forward to getting a new amp, but I'm actually pretty pleased with what I have now so a bit nervous about it! I'm sure it will be fine and I can always revert back to a Blackstar if I don't get on with it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:46 am
I like the OCD labeling.
Reminds me of the back of my stereo: all connections labeled both ends.
It does look odd, you're right.
There's absolutely no way I could do this without labeling every wire. It's like 20-something wires I had to remove. They just pull off, but there's no rhyme or reason to it. Thankfully the connections of the board are marked, so I just made a little flag for each wire and wrote where it goes on it.
Rebel Yell
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

JD01 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:52 pm ...These are the new tones that I've been working on today - I'm actually pretty pleased with them, they seem to sit in a mix pretty well...
Nice!

I'm really curious, though, about your production techniques that allowed you to go from a tone clip to a full, finished mix ("Entertain Ourselves To Death", right?) in a day. :cool:
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
JD01

Post by JD01 »

SweetDan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:51 am
JD01 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:52 pm ...These are the new tones that I've been working on today - I'm actually pretty pleased with them, they seem to sit in a mix pretty well...
Nice!

I'm really curious, though, about your production techniques that allowed you to go from a tone clip to a full, finished mix ("Entertain Ourselves To Death", right?) in a day. :cool:
haha, I had the scratch tracks down already, the song written/arranged and the drums done. I just needed to get the vocals done and record all of my "keeper" guitar tracks. The vocal took me 2 or 3 hours of take after take to nail it (I'm a shite singer). Rhythm L took me three takes, then I did Rhythm R in one take. Then I worked on the lead bits quietly for a while until I had them under my fingers before recording them.

I didn't write, arrange, programme drums and do everything in one day!
I'll normally spend a while working on something deciding what I like and what I don't record scratch tracks using the emulated out from the amp as I can do this at any time of day, practice the parts so I know I can play them well etc. Then when I come to track things for keeps I can generally get it done really quickly.
I've only realised that this seems to be the best technique for me in the last few months though.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:18 pm Lol. This Jubilee is a real a piece of crap to deal with.
Holy fuck man, all that to replace one cap??? I'm gonna bet actually replacing the cap only took about 2 minutes, right??? Labeling all the connectors is a very good idea for somebody like me...This makes is pretty safe to say if anything ever happens to my Mini Jube, I'll be sending it off to be fixed...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:10 pm
Holy fuck man, all that to replace one cap??? I'm gonna bet actually replacing the cap only took about 2 minutes, right??? Labeling all the connectors is a very good idea for somebody like me...This makes is pretty safe to say if anything ever happens to my Mini Jube, I'll be sending it off to be fixed...
Lol yeah actual solder time will be like 30 seconds.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:06 pm
Minerman wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:10 pm
Lol yeah actual solder time will be like 30 seconds.
Too long. Aim for less than 3...;)
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Sorry I haven't been on the ball here in our thread, so I went back a couple pages to try & catch up...

Ray: Like I mentioned the last time, with each clip you post, I hear improvement...Not sure why your amp won't go into "meltdown", but again, each clip is an improvement...The last 2 parts of this clip are getting there dude, keep after it...

Jdude: Doesn't sound too bad man, it's a bit bright & thin to me, but in a mix it'll probably cut through pretty good...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers miner. I was pretty pleased with them in the mix so I thought I’d pop the raw tracks up here too.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Okay hopefully this is my last update with dumb Jubilee.

Old busted cap gone...
1.jpg
New cap in....
2.jpg
3.jpg
Board reinstalled. I'm leaving my labels just in case....
4.jpg
It's alive!
5.jpg

I had one little oh shit moment. When I flipped it on, I had the bias probes hooked up to monitor the voltage, and I had a runaway voltage condition that popped the fuse again after a nice little light show from the tubes. WTF. I double checked all my work and it seems good. I think it's a bad tube. I put a known good set of older tubes in it and a new fuse and it's totally fine. When that cap blew it must have damaged the tubes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:28 pm Okay hopefully this is my last update with dumb Jubilee.

I had one little oh shit moment. When I flipped it on, I had the bias probes hooked up to monitor the voltage, and I had a runaway voltage condition that popped the fuse again after a nice little light show from the tubes. WTF. I double checked all my work and it seems good. I think it's a bad tube. I put a known good set of older tubes in it and a new fuse and it's totally fine. When that cap blew it must have damaged the tubes.
Good to hear it was only a bad tube Greg, I read your thread in the Marshall forum & thought the amp had something seriously wrong...Good deal...

BTW, you need to throw a pic of your Marshalls up in the "Show Us Your Marshall Amps" thread over there...

I really get a kick out of those guys trying to figure you out sometimes... :lollers:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:35 pm
Good to hear it was only a bad tube Greg, I read your thread in the Marshall forum & thought the amp had something seriously wrong...Good deal...

BTW, you need to throw a pic of your Marshalls up in the "Show Us Your Marshall Amps" thread over there...

I really get a kick out of those guys trying to figure you out sometimes... :lollers:
Ha no I'm intentionally mean and vague with those morons. It's so easy to rile them up. They take themselves way too seriously.

I need their tech help though. :frown:
Rebel Yell