The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
liv_rong

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:05 am I'm not a fan of fuzz but that sounds real good to me. Nice bite and grit without getting too gross.
JD01 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:10 am Liv, I think you've made a really good job of that. OK, so it sounds a bit harsh and fuzzy... but its fuzz! I reckon that would sound good in a mix with a bass? Is that from a song you're working on? If so, I'll look forward to hearing the full mix.
Minerman wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:01 pm I'm not a big fan of fuzz either dude, but this would probably sound great in some kind of slow, sludgy, heavy song like AIC, Soundgarden or similar...It is a little mushy but not terrible man...
Thanks guys for listening. Still gotta play more but I like this. The clip was just the first thing that came to me once I plugged it in.

It doesnt sound as mushy in the phone clip, maybe this pedal calls for different mic positioning?

JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ouch - that camera audio is harsh as fuck!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Ok so here is that Keeley Omni Reverb. I had it set to plate with the dwell at about 2:00 and the level at 3:00. Im playing my tele on the neck pickup wiht a capo and the Mesa is set to 10 watts on the clean channel, Im am using a comp and the EP booster set about halfway in front of the amp. The only thing I did was bump up the fader a bit, otherwise a clean recording. Something wonky is going on with the power though, almost sounds like a light trem. Dont know if it was the amp or what, most likely its the board, I just moved a bunch of shit around and re-wired half of it so Im sure something is just not playing nice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:03 pm Ok so here is that Keeley Omni Reverb. I had it set to plate with the dwell at about 2:00 and the level at 3:00. Im playing my tele on the neck pickup wiht a capo and the Mesa is set to 10 watts on the clean channel, Im am using a comp and the EP booster set about halfway in front of the amp. The only thing I did was bump up the fader a bit, otherwise a clean recording. Something wonky is going on with the power though, almost sounds like a light trem. Dont know if it was the amp or what, most likely its the board, I just moved a bunch of shit around and re-wired half of it so Im sure something is just not playing nice.
That sounds cool man, reminds me of a Lynyrd Skynyrd or southern rock song...I don't post a lot of clips with 'em, but I dig effects man...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Liv, that sounds pretty awesome.
Is it going to become a whole song? I was actually randomly singing along with that in the car just now.

So is the omni verb really versatile? That seems like it's got a fair bit of modulation on it too
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I think it versatile, can go from a light verb to a deeper setting like in this clip. For the price it’s pretty great. The other two I’d look at would be the TC Electrinic Hall of Fame and the Digitech Polara. Both of those are super versatile and sound great IMO.

As far as this clip I’m just goofing around, not really a song.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 am I think it versatile, can go from a light verb to a deeper setting like in this clip. For the price it’s pretty great. The other two I’d look at would be the TC Electrinic Hall of Fame and the Digitech Polara. Both of those are super versatile and sound great IMO.

As far as this clip I’m just goofing around, not really a song.
You should work on that one, mate. I reckon there's a good song in there if you can come up with a good transition to a chorus.

I've been meaning to get the TC Flashback w/looper for ages but always found better things to spend money on, I wouldn't mind a better reverb like the Hall of Fame Mini too but I'll probably end up getting another drive pedal like a TubeScreamer when I already have 4 drive pedals and two on my board!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That sounds good liver. Sounds like a movie track or something. The verb decay has kind of a keys-like quality to it
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I won't be getting my amp back until the new year.
VERY frustrating as I keep holding back on new tracks until it arrives. I suppose i can do place holders with other gear. Seems that after chasing the work the tech received too much of it and my job was a smaller one.
BOTTOM!
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:20 am I won't be getting my amp back until the new year.
VERY frustrating as I keep holding back on new tracks until it arrives. I suppose i can do place holders with other gear. Seems that after chasing the work the tech received too much of it and my job was a smaller one.
BOTTOM!
That sucks Ray. I was wondering what was up with the amp mod. Stuff like that is why I'm doing whatever I can to work on my amps myself. :mad2:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:20 am I won't be getting my amp back until the new year.
BOTTOM!
Bummer man. Sorry to hear. What was the mod or repair? I can't recall and am far too lazy to go back and read through this monstrous thread?
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:51 pm

Bummer man. Sorry to hear. What was the mod or repair? I can't recall and am far too lazy to go back and read through this monstrous thread?
He's getting his Marshall Super Bass modded into a Super Lead.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

That should be pretty deadly.
:happytrees:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

BOTTOM!
Sorry to hear that Ray, maybe on the bright side it won't be too much longer now before he gets the amp back to you...I'm definitely still looking forward to hearing the results man...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Here's some Christmas hacking around with the new ribbon mic.

Les Paul Custom - Bare Knuckles Mule neck/Riff Raff bridge
Marshall 1987x 50w Plexi
Presence - 4
Bass, Mid, Treb - 10
Vol 1 - 10
Vol 2 - 2
High input 1 only
Marshall 1960B 4x12 - Celestion G12-65
Audix i5 on axis, 2" off grill, dustcap cone seam
MXL R144 on axis, 2" off grill, dead center of speaker
No EQ or FX in DAW
Little bit of Boss BF3 Flanger pedal at beginning

Audix i5 only
LPC198765i5.mp3
MXL R144 only
LPC198765R144.mp3
Both blended 50/50
LPC198765i5+R144.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Here's some more, same everything, with a Tube Screamer cramming the front end. :metal:
Drive - 9:00
Tone - 10:00
Output - 3:00

i5 only
LPC198765i5MC.mp3
R144 only
LPC198765R144MC.mp3
Both blended 50/50
LPC198765i5+R144MC.mp3
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

so what's your reaction to the mic?

And Christmas Time is here?

Awesome!
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I like it dude, seems like a great way to add chunk to your tone...I know blending the mics I have do this too, but with the ribbon, it just seems way more apparent, which to me, is a good thing...

I gotta ask, how does it handle the SPL/high decibel madness???

Sounds great man...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:19 pm so what's your reaction to the mic?

And Christmas Time is here?

Awesome!
Ha, well I really like the mic so far. I really do. It adds a whole new "roundness" to the sound without too much flub or harshness. I think the natural top-end roll-off helps tame any fizz even at these super bright mic placements. And even though it's a figure-8, I don't seem to be getting any bad shit coming in from the other side. I dig it so far. I think maybe this can take my guitar tracks another step forward. I think even these goof around tracks sound more "finished" just as they are. It could be so easy! Just stick this ribbon on the middle of the speaker and put a dynamic next to it. Done! :not worthy:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:19 pm I like it dude, seems like a great way to add chunk to your tone...I know blending the mics I have do this too, but with the ribbon, it just seems way more apparent, which to me, is a good thing...

I gotta ask, how does it handle the SPL/high decibel madness???

Sounds great man...
Thanks. The one drawback of the mic is it needs a ton of preamp gain. That's not an issue when cramming cranked Marshalls into it. But If you wanna mic something quiet with it, like fingerpicking acoustic guitar, you're gonna need a low-noise preamp with lots of gain.

Supposedly it's capable of handling 130db. I won't go putting it in a kick drum or on a snare, but cabs shouldn't be a problem.
Rebel Yell