The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rayc

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by rayc »

Johan's weirdness again...[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDX1Ykb3Fhg[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:13 pm Johan's weirdness again...[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDX1Ykb3Fhg[/BBvideo]
Wow that's pretty amazing. I won't go sticking plates of metal on mine, but it's pretty cool.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I've been rearranging my room...working in new speakers and cabs and downsizing everything else because my guitar shit is so upsized. Lol. Here's the wall as it stands right now....

Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:53 pm I've been rearranging my room...working in new speakers and cabs and downsizing everything else because my guitar shit is so upsized. Lol. Here's the wall as it stands right now....

WALL of WATTS
Cheers
rayc
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

That's awesome. Reminds me of this.....
15803539_680803225430207_1162816327572783104_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Post by rayc »

rammer24 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:31 am That's awesome. Reminds me of this.....15803539_680803225430207_1162816327572783104_n.jpg
Rami,
Marshalling the troops or trooping the Marshalls?
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:48 pm
rayc wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:13 pm Johan's weirdness again...[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDX1Ykb3Fhg[/BBvideo]
Wow that's pretty amazing. I won't go sticking plates of metal on mine, but it's pretty cool.
I thought it sounded good but couldn't say if it was what he was gunning for or just different.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Been wanting to do this for a while, finally got to it.

WGS Green Beret vs Celestion Greenback comparison.

Les Paul Custom - Bare Knuckles Riff Raff bridge pickup
Marshall JMP 2204
Presence - 5
Bass - 7
Mid - 7
Treb -7
Master vol - 6
Preamp vol - 6.5
Marshall 1960A 4x12 - Celestion Greenback x WGS Green Berets
Both speakers - SM57 on axis, on grill dead center + SM57 ~30 deg off axis, on grill, right next to centered mic
50/50 blend each mic
No FX or EQ in DAW

Celestion Greenback
GB1.mp3
WGS Green Beret
GB2.mp3
Greenback L + Green Beret R
GB1+GB2.mp3
See whatcha think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:54 pm Been wanting to do this for a while, finally got to it.

WGS Green Beret vs Celestion Greenback comparison.

Les Paul Custom - Bare Knuckles Riff Raff bridge pickup
Marshall JMP 2204
Presence - 5
Bass - 7
Mid - 7
Treb -7
Master vol - 6
Preamp vol - 6.5
Marshall 1960A 4x12 - Celestion Greenback x WGS Green Berets
Both speakers - SM57 on axis, on grill dead center + SM57 ~30 deg off axis, on grill, right next to centered mic
50/50 blend each mic
Cool dude, more clips for the "Gerg" folder...I've always wondered how the WGS speakers compare to Celestion...Sounds pretty damn close to me dude, the high end seems a little different like the difference between my GB & '65 re-issue, not bad, just different...Those speakers are a lot cheaper than Celestion too, so I may end up pulling the trigger on a few...

Are the WGS broken in pretty good yet??? If not that could cause a slight difference in sound, but again, these are pretty close...

I may end up buying a quad eventually, & put 'em in the bastard cab, then use those 8ohm speakers in the new ISO cab build I'm gonna start in the next few weeks...I'm still debating on how I'm gonna build this one, but hopefully it'll look a hell of a lot better & be smaller, while sounding as good/better as the old behemoth I had...Whenever I get started on it, I'm gonna start a thread following my progress...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
rayc

Post by rayc »

The combined is very cool - the best of double tracking.
I THINK I like the Greenback as it seemed a little wilder.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:26 pm
Cool dude, more clips for the "Gerg" folder...I've always wondered how the WGS speakers compare to Celestion...Sounds pretty damn close to me dude, the high end seems a little different like the difference between my GB & '65 re-issue, not bad, just different...Those speakers are a lot cheaper than Celestion too, so I may end up pulling the trigger on a few...

Are the WGS broken in pretty good yet??? If not that could cause a slight difference in sound, but again, these are pretty close...

I may end up buying a quad eventually, & put 'em in the bastard cab, then use those 8ohm speakers in the new ISO cab build I'm gonna start in the next few weeks...I'm still debating on how I'm gonna build this one, but hopefully it'll look a hell of a lot better & be smaller, while sounding as good/better as the old behemoth I had...Whenever I get started on it, I'm gonna start a thread following my progress...
I'm not sure how broken in they are, but I'm guessing not very. They were basically brand new when I got them, and they do sound a little like new speakers, so we'll see how they warm up with time and volume.

I've been impressed with every WGS speaker I've come across, so if you go that route you probably won't be disappointed.
rayc wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:37 pm The combined is very cool - the best of double tracking.
I THINK I like the Greenback as it seemed a little wilder.
Thanks. I like the Greenback better too, but the Green Beret may need time to break in. But even as it is, I do like it. The cab on the whole sounds awesome.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg, do you have 3 plexis and JCM and a JVM?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:59 am Greg, do you have 3 plexis and JCM and a JVM?
No. Two Plexis, a JMP, a JCM, and a JVM. The middle/top amp in the pic is a JMP 2204 in a Plexi headbox. It's the prehistoric ancestor to the JCM 800. The 70s JMP master volume amps became JCM 800s.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

JMP is that the "45" thing that I really like the sound of? Totally impractical for me, but I can still like them.

No, I've looked it up. Its the JTM i like the sound off.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:49 am JMP is that the "45" thing that I really like the sound of? Totally impractical for me, but I can still like them.

JTM45. I do not have one of those.

Marshall's naming and numbering system is completely fucked and totally british. It has no rhyme or reason whatsoever. All the JTM, JMP, JCM, etc shit are just initials of his name, kid's names, dog's names, etc. They do loosely correlate with the first few decades though. JTM - 60s. JMP - 70s. JCM- 80s.

Then you have the circuit numbers. You can have, say, JMP 1987. That aint the year 1987. That "1987" means 50w Plexi circuit...which means 50w no master volume. The master volume counterpart to that would be a 2204. 2204 means 50w with a master volume. And the 2204 circuit spans into the JCM range, so you could also have a JCM 800 2204. It's dumb and confusing unless you're just a retarded fanboy like me.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:59 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:49 am JMP is that the "45" thing that I really like the sound of? Totally impractical for me, but I can still like them.

JTM45. I do not have one of those.

Marshall's naming and numbering system is completely fucked and totally british. It has no rhyme or reason whatsoever. All the JTM, JMP, JCM, etc shit are just initials of his name, kid's names, dog's names, etc. They do loosely correlate with the first few decades though. JTM - 60s. JMP - 70s. JCM- 80s.

Then you have the circuit numbers. You can have, say, JMP 1987. That aint the year 1987. That "1987" means 50w Plexi circuit...which means 50w no master volume. The master volume counterpart to that would be a 2204. 2204 means 50w with a master volume. And the 2204 circuit spans into the JCM range, so you could also have a JCM 800 2204. It's dumb and confusing unless you're just a retarded fanboy like me.
Yeah, I've never got my head around it. I've just looked up the JTM45, can't find the demo I heard before now - they're all blokes playing blusey shit - the guy I heard before was using an 80s re-issue with 6L6s, was smashing out powerchords and it sounded fucking brilliant!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:50 am they're all blokes playing blusey shit -
That's mostly what the JTM45 is used for. Corny geezer blues rock. The JTM45 is pretty much a Fender Bassman.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:47 am I'm not sure how broken in they are, but I'm guessing not very. They were basically brand new when I got them, and they do sound a little like new speakers, so we'll see how they warm up with time and volume.

I've been impressed with every WGS speaker I've come across, so if you go that route you probably won't be disappointed.
There is a difference in those clips, but there are probably differences between 2 Celestion speakers of the same make/model/etc...I'm impressed with those WGS & the price is a lot cheaper than some of the Celestions...IIRC, I paid about $150 for the G12-65 re-issue I have & the WGS version is $90, that's quite a bit of difference, especially buying several of 'em...

Those WGS you have, if they aren't broken in will only sound better with time...Again, I'm impressed with 'em...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:21 pm

There is a difference in those clips, but there are probably differences between 2 Celestion speakers of the same make/model/etc...I'm impressed with those WGS & the price is a lot cheaper than some of the Celestions...IIRC, I paid about $150 for the G12-65 re-issue I have & the WGS version is $90, that's quite a bit of difference, especially buying several of 'em...

Those WGS you have, if they aren't broken in will only sound better with time...Again, I'm impressed with 'em...
To me, these Green Berets sort of sound like my original 65s. They're a little spikier and more mid-scooped than Greenbacks. But that's just right now. As we've talked about they may not be broken in yet. I don't know what kind of life they lived before me. They don't look like they were ever even installed in anything. I know this though, I'm gonna put them through some hell. :coolstorybro:

I don't expect a Green Beret to sound exactly like a Greenback, but it is in the ballpark.

A friend of mine has some Veteran 30s, which are WGS's version of the Vintage 30, and they sound very good. Maybe even better in some instances.

But now, most importantly, I've got all four of my 1981 G12-65s in the same B cab, and that thing sounds fucking bad ass.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:49 pm To me, these Green Berets sort of sound like my original 65s. They're a little spikier and more mid-scooped than Greenbacks. But that's just right now. As we've talked about they may not be broken in yet. I don't know what kind of life they lived before me. They don't look like they were ever even installed in anything. I know this though, I'm gonna put them through some hell. :coolstorybro:

I don't expect a Green Beret to sound exactly like a Greenback, but it is in the ballpark.

A friend of mine has some Veteran 30s, which are WGS's version of the Vintage 30, and they sound very good. Maybe even better in some instances.
Right dude, I get the WGS ain't gonna be exactly like a Celestion, but for the price I'm impressed & may spring for a quad for my slant cab eventually...The speakers I have in there now are gonna go in the next ISO cab build...This one will still be handy to use at late hours even when I eventually get the new pad...

I've got some cool (to me) ideas about it, but I'm gonna wait & spring it on you guys after I get it built...This one ain't gonna be just thrown together like the last one, I've learned a lot since then...While it'll still be an experiment in ways, this ISO cab should be a lot smaller than the last one, it should be even quieter, while sounding as good & look a hell of a lot better (hopefully anyway :biggrin: )...I should get started on it in the next week or two...
Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:49 pmBut now, most importantly, I've got all four of my 1981 G12-65s in the same B cab, and that thing sounds fucking bad ass.
You're making me drool over those speakers again dude...I remember when you got 'em, I tried to buy one for my first ISO cab...I still have the G12T-75 I bought from you... :biggrin:

I have no idea how my re-issue compares to the originals, but I like it a lot...It was my favorite speaker until I got the EVH cab...Apparently they did their homework with the little amp & cab I have because I think they sound just great together...I'd love to hear a bigger amp with that cab, & eventually that'll happen too, I just have to be a patient grasshopper over here...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH