Shan's Lefty Righty Tele Build.

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Shan's Lefty Righty Tele Build.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I posted up the pictures over in that other forum we migrated too first, but i figured i better get a home for this over here now that we are here to stay. hopefully.

When i ordered this i grossly miscalculated my heater-less garage and the northern winter so i have pretty much effectively put this whole thing on hold until the nice weather rolls around i really have no choice, i don't really want to be sanding and spraying shit in my basement. It really sucks to look at that box in my music room everyday knowing i could be doing something constructive. It may not be the most quality kit and my experience with a build is non existent, but it was 150 bucks, Matt was super accommodating of my requests i am sort of aching for new guitar all that adds up to just do it! :happytrees:

Most of you know about this but for the history books i'm going to type it all out again.

the goal here is get two birds stoned at once,

A: have my first sorta telecaster
B: Have a proper left handed body guitar but also have it strung righty cause that is how i currently do it.

I originally set out to get a Mosrite kit but between the one place i found being unaccommodating of my seemingly outlandish requests and some more thought in how i go about writing my original material i like the idea of a tele better. It just seemed like the next logical guitar for me to own. In the end, i ended up talking to Matt at Solo Music Gear based out of Ontario Canada and we chatted about what i wanted and he seemed pretty excited and really accommodating at the notion of making my requested modifications and we did the deal.

So far on this journey i haven't got passed the unboxing and sanding my pieces of practice basswood when weather permits. Not having a heated garage sucks. I am still really excited to do this i just physically cannot work much in my deep freeze of a work area. :(

So for reference here are the pictures:

As it arrived from Canada Post, freshly trampled and ready for a quality build.

As it was packaged for transit

The body, four pieces of basswood, some black binding you will see later.

Output Rout

Closer look at the binding

The headstock.
I am personally not a fan of fender head stocks. I think they appear pretty wimpy, but as i age i find myself more concerned with the sound of an instrument than how it looks. But i still think they look kinda of wimpy. It is what it is. it's a whatever really. I have a guy on the west coast that has a CNC machine and i am brainstorming ideas for some sort of inlay or name on the head stock. I'm not there yet. I'll figure it out eventually.

The fretboard.
I think maybe Matt got a bit of glue on here when was flipping the nut for me, it sucks, but nothing an sos pad and very light scuffing can't fix.

The flipped nut. nothing special but it is flipped and i didn't have to do it.

Looking down on the flipped nut.
I suspect for proper sound transfer i am going to have to fill in that gap with something. It's been recommended that i use a bit of glue and saw dust and just inject it in there.

The hardwear
not sure why i am posting pictures of this stuff as 90% of it will be swapped out for something else. I am replacing the pick ups with something from the McNelly Pick Ups catalog. I'll find some much nicer tuning keys as well. these feel pretty chintzy to be honest. this is going ot be a forever guitar for me i don't mind upgrading all this stuff to more top shelf kind of bits and pieces. I am not knocking Matt or Solo, though, the kit was 155 CAD dollars. I wasn't expecting to see Grover tuners in the unboxing. I'm happy with it.

That is that for now. I've just been sort of reading up on finishing and all that stuff over the winter just waiting for spring to roll around to jump into this. I suppose i could use the big heated shop at work to tinker on it but i kind of want to have a beer or four while i work on it and we can't have beer in the shop. Kind of a bummer.

In terms of cosmetics so i can get a feel for different ways of finishing, i am going to do a solid color top, i am currently trying to decide between a vintage color like Pelham blue, sonic blue, sea foam green or maybe even a grey? I saw a pretty dope looking grey tele in a guitar center while out and about with Greg one day. It looks simple clean and still kind of classic. Then stain the sides back and neck a darker brown color. matte satin gloss finish on the neck. I got enough bass wood to try out all color and dye combinations, try out various finishing techniques and stuff like that. I am sure it all sounds unnecessary but it is how my brain chooses to do things.

And of course update all the hardware. I'm even going to try and get as Canadian as i possibly can and see if i can replace most if not all screws with stainless steel Robertson head screws :lollers: :lollers: lol. thats the goal.

So this is the start, i just need the weather to come around or some nice money fairy to drop off enough for my to insulate and heat my workshop :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

:happytrees: more to come as it unfolds i reckon. :happytrees:

And a picture of my mutt that somehow made it's way into my tele folder?

:happytrees:
JD01

Re: Shan's Lefty Righty Tele Build.

Post by JD01 »

Just a thought, probably a bit late now but you could have stuck a right handed neck on it upside down. You wouldn't have had to flip the nut, it would look a bit different and might stop you thinking that the fender headstock looks so wimpy.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I had considered that and i think matt may have also mentioned it. but i think it would have looked more stupid than i already make it look to even play the way i do anyways. I'd like how i play to be less glaring to people.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:49 pm I had considered that and matt also mentioned it. but i think it would have looked more stupid than i already make it look to even play the way i do anyways. I'd like how i play to be less glaring to people.
Fair enough. Reverse headstock guitars sometimes look cool... not always though.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Very cool Shanny! I think you did better by just flipping the nut. Tele headstocks are terrible, and they'd look even more terrible upside down. Like a dick. And with a lefty neck you still have your side dot markers.

That gray/stain back will look cool. Do that!
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Oh. My. GAWD!!!

Shan, you're one of those guitarists I have to sit with my back towards when I'm at a gig. Watching you lot gives me brain-ache! What would possess a human being to play a guitar that way? :mad:

Good luck with the build, fella. :biggrin:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:23 pm Oh. My. GAWD!!!

Shan, you're one of those guitarists I have to sit with my back towards when I'm at a gig. Watching you lot gives me brain-ache! What would possess a human being to play a guitar that way? :mad:

Good luck with the build, fella. :biggrin:
Having seen him play in person, right in front of me, on my own guitars, I can tell with 100% certainty that it is fucking strange and unsettling. :crazy: :biggrin:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

:happytrees: :happytrees: :happytrees: :happytrees: :happytrees: :happytrees: :happytrees: :happytrees: :happytrees: :lollers: :lollers: :lollers2:

Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Just me or are the pictures all dead in this thread?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:54 pm That gray/stain back will look cool. Do that!
So, really fucking weird someone else had the exact same idea. this is the same kit i got and they did the grey color as well.

What are the fucking odds????? :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :spacepalm: :happytrees: :happytrees: :coolstorybro:

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:25 pm

So, really fucking weird someone else had the exact same idea. this is the same kit i got and they did the grey color as well.

What are the fucking odds????? :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :spacepalm: :happytrees: :happytrees: :coolstorybro:

Looks good...except for that hideous headstock. You could maybe do yours one better by doing the headstock too.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I have a date with a local luthier this Sunday to kick this bitch off with. :like: :like: :like: :like: :happytrees: :happytrees: :happytrees: :happytrees:

Stoked. His name was given to me by some guys at the local lumber yard.

I just want to get a few hands on pointers and he seemed pretty open to getting me started. At least with the finishing aspect. Sounds like he runs a pretty cool program too in terms of practical teaching. I guess he has a bunch of guys that he educates, trains and allows access to his shop for a bit of cash on the side.

He is VERY curious to see what a 155 dollar tele kit looks like. :lollers2: He sort of went silent on the other end of the phone haha. He said the last wood he got to build a tele clone cost him about 500-600 CAD. I said the kit is just basswood. his reply was an abrupt "oh"

In any case i am pretty stoked to get this going. Finally.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Haha awesome.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Armistice wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:05 pm Just me or are the pictures all dead in this thread?
yep .... no pics
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:05 pm Just me or are the pictures all dead in this thread?
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 1:07 am yep .... no pics
Fixed. :sherlock:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I met with the Luthier guy yesterday. he seemed to think that for a kit guitar what i got wasn't awful but he wasn't thrilled with the basswood. It wouldn't have been his first choice. After walking around his shop for a while i could see why. homey don't cheap out on his wood. He felt the nut reversal was sloppy and could have been done better with a an extra hour of time and care. It was correct and workable but sloppy could be made better but not worth it as it it wasn't an abomination. The biggest thing he looked for was that the neck was good and it fit the slot nicely. He agreed both points were satisfactory and seemed sort of surprised. Sadly though our visit was short as his wife called and needed to be picked up from work so we barely got into the meat and potatoes of why i went there.

I didn't get any real tips and tricks as to an actual "where do i start" , which is fair enough i suppose he's running a business and i'm standing there technically taking a small piece of business away from him, but it was good to know i didn't get a lemon. He said for 150 bucks it was a pretty good deal and even better he confirmed that it was worthy of doing a few hardwear upgrades on. So that is cool.

Apparently i am also a fool for wanting to put dye or stain anywhere near it... even if it is just basswood. :lollers: :lollers: :like: :happytrees:
muttley

Post by muttley »

I wouldnt stain basswood personally. It's pretty much a paint grade body timber AFIC and I recon you will get disheartened with the pia it will present. Finishing is not the easiest unless you have a background in it. Ask bubba who will confirm. Ditto the nut, to fit that properly would take 20 minutes.

You start by strike fitting the bridge (just a few screws to locate it), then offer up the neck and strike fit that. Then you can get a long straight edge and check that the strings will run true to the edge and the scale length is correct and you have enough wobble room on the saddles to adjust for intonation. Then you can pilot and fix the neck and secure the bridge and check. Wack some tuners on there and string up with an old set of strings and make notes about what you want to improve when you finally put it together especially the action. Then take it apart and do your finishing...
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ok I am kicking this thing off officially. I spent the last week prepping the garage and getting rid of as much garbage clutter and dust (oh my god the dust in there :spacepalm: ) and test wood. I am going to spend some time over the weekend doing the rough set up of the kit itself as Mutt suggested in the previous post above. I had done it once with the luthier guy a while ago, but .. that was while ago. Things can change.

Also going to toy around with some different clear coats and solid color paints for the tops of the test woods. I think i already know what i have picked out for clear coats will not work with the colored finishes i have selected below as they are a linseed oil based tint / finish. I have been told that putting anything on top of those is pretty much just point less and may not have the desired affect i want? I guess there is only one way to find out right /

Here are some pics.

Basswood test chunks all lined up and ready to go for a test drive.

Part of my experiment having seen the (very postive) results on the Hemlock baseboard and casing in my house was to try a the wood conditioner on the basswood. I would soon find out that wood conditioner on basswood was a futile waste of effort. I know Mutt said that basswood doesn't take a stain well but i am me, and i have to find out for myself. I'll humbly eat the crow, but now you guys can tag along on the adventure.

Wood Conditioned on the left, plain untreated on the right.

This is the Tobacco product. Plain wood in the foreground, conditioned in the back. Conditioned is barfcity. I do not like it.

This is the Smoked Oak product Plain in the front, conditioned in the back. I used this one one another pine project a week or so ago and i quite liked it.

this is a product called Elm Grey. Again, Plain in the front conditioned in the back.

I was really bummed out at first with the smoked oak and elm grey. right away after wiping clean and tidying the work area they looked identical. Like i am talking i almost thought i had mixed the two up. I got pissed off :mad2: :mad3: after dropping a jar of the smoked oak on the floor and decided and go for a 15km bike ride after cleaning that mess up. To my surprise when i got back the differences were becoming more apparent. Albeit very subtle. I did see a difference. I like both. But i am really leaning towards the smoked oak.

The wood conditioner / sanding sealer is not a thing that is going to happen on the actual guitar. I see way too much of the basswoods natiral color and i am not looking for that kind of finish. However, i say all that but i know once i put a clear coat or something on those things will likely get darker and pop a bit more. So as much as i don't like it now, that all could change.

Thank god for test wood.

The tobacco is cool but i don't think i will be using on this kit. I have a plan for that eventually. I think it looks quite nice really. I really want to try to do Mutt's LP Jr build following his guide so i may apply it to that.

Thats all for now. :chillin
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Awesome! I'm glad you're finally getting after this project.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Good to go.
Cheers
rayc