Pedals and boards they may sometimes go on

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
liv_rong

Pedals and boards they may sometimes go on

Post by liv_rong »

Since I finished building my new board and have it all wired up with the the pedals Ill be primarily using for a while I figured Id start this thread in which we can talk about these things. And obviously maybe some pictures.

Signal chain here is Guitar>Soul Food>Amp>El Capistan>Hall of Fame>Avalanche Run>Amp.

Lt. Bob

Re: Pedals and boards they may sometimes go on

Post by Lt. Bob »

talk to me about the Soul Food

I'll make sure to grab a pic of my gigging board this weekend.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That looks so much nicer than my board!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:45 am talk to me about the Soul Food

I'll make sure to grab a pic of my gigging board this weekend.
I dig it. Scrubs sent it to me because he thought it was a piece of shit lol! (no I dont think he really thought it was shit). I use it as a clean(ish) boost for my clean channel. The clean channel on my amp has no headroom and will start to break up in a not pretty way but if I want that type of sound Ill use the Soul Food and it sounds good. I used to use it on the dirty channel to boost that but I could barely tell the difference so I changed some knobs to pushing the clean channel now. It does this nice mid level gain that I like but I havent had it set like that for a while either.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Crawdad uses one (anyone remember him?) .... anyways, he came to visit a year ago and had one on his pedalboard. He uses a Quilter amp these days because of back issues so he needs to get any dirt from pedals and that'sa one he likes a lot.
It's a Klon type pedal and as you know, it's cheap.
people just send them out!

:D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

This is the only real pedal I own - and I don't even use it live! I get a bit of delay for one song and a bit of chorus/flange for a couple of others from a cheapo Zoom multi-FX, and that's it. Everything else is my JVM. It's superb.
mxr-m117-ruk-flanger-323481.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Haggard Musician :mad:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:13 pm This is the only real pedal I own - and I don't even use it live! I get a bit of delay for one song and a bit of chorus/flange for a couple of others from a cheapo Zoom multi-FX, and that's it. Everything else is my JVM. It's superb.
I thought you used a TC Nova?
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:30 pm
Bubba wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:13 pm This is the only real pedal I own - and I don't even use it live! I get a bit of delay for one song and a bit of chorus/flange for a couple of others from a cheapo Zoom multi-FX, and that's it. Everything else is my JVM. It's superb.
I thought you used a TC Nova?
Yeah, like the TC Nova took one hell of a shit on me. Two pedal techs said the unit was absolute toast - beyond economic repair. And for something that cost me £160 used it must have had a proper meltdown to be beyond repair. :mad:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:06 pm

Yeah, like the TC Nova took one hell of a shit on me. Two pedal techs said the unit was absolute toast - beyond economic repair. And for something that cost me £160 used it must have had a proper meltdown to be beyond repair. :mad:
One of my bandmates has one. I don't know why he got it as we are not those kinds of people, but he has one anyway. I think he saw some guy using one in front of a clean amp for the dirty sound, and that just doesn't work for us. It sounded like ass. But he tried it anyway. I'm more interested in using it in the fx loop for the flangers and phasers and shit.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:01 pm Since I finished building my new board and have it all wired up with the the pedals ...

Are the pedal secured to the board in any way...Velcro or ...?
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

miroslav wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:31 pm
liv_rong wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:01 pm Since I finished building my new board and have it all wired up with the the pedals ...

Are the pedal secured to the board in any way...Velcro or ...?
Yes Velcro.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:37 am Image
What is the EHX Silencer? A gate? Whats the signal chain? Whats the board? Pedaltrain something?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:17 pm What is the EHX Silencer? A gate? Whats the signal chain? Whats the board? Pedaltrain something?
Yup, Silencer is a gate. Works real good too. I have it for my single coil guitars. Them bitches are noisy live.
The board is a Pedaltrain Classic 2.

The signal flow is...
Guitar > Polytune > Silencer > Super OD > Tube Screamer > Tremolo > Phase 90 > Flanger > Crybaby > amp.
The delay and EQ pedal are FX loop only

Edit - Forgot to add....Voodoo Labs 2 Plus power supply under the board.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I set my board up a similar way to you, Greg. (I don't have a gate though and my split coils are pretty quiet).

I have the Crybaby at the start of the chain though before anything else.

Guitar>Crybaby>Korg Tuner>Super OD>OCD>Chorus>Preamp>EQ>Delay>Reverb>powreamp
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:03 am I set my board up a similar way to you, Greg. (I don't have a gate though and my split coils are pretty quiet).
If they're really split coils then they aren't quiet at gig volumes. They can't be. All single coils are noisy. That's why humbuckers were invented.

I really only use the gate with my Hallmark Mosrite clone. On my Gibsons I just keep the neck vol rolled off and flip the pickup switch to middle. That shuts the whole guitar off. It's literally like an on/off switch, and I don't use the neck pickup, so no problem.
I like to wah left footed. The guitar body is on my right hip, so I don't wanna be wah'ing with that leg too. My wah is true bypass so it doesn't matter where it goes.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:12 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:03 am I set my board up a similar way to you, Greg. (I don't have a gate though and my split coils are pretty quiet).
If they're really split coils then they aren't quiet at gig volumes. They can't be. All single coils are noisy. That's why humbuckers were invented.

I really only use the gate with my Hallmark Mosrite clone. On my Gibsons I just keep the neck vol rolled off and flip the pickup switch to middle. That shuts the whole guitar off. It's literally like an on/off switch, and I don't use the neck pickup, so no problem.
I like to wah left footed. The guitar body is on my right hip, so I don't wanna be wah'ing with that leg too. My wah is true bypass so it doesn't matter where it goes.
Suppose, all your drive is coming from the amp anyway, isn't it? So it doesn't matter.

I modded my Wah to be TB recently and I like to Wah with my right foot.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:18 am
Suppose, all your drive is coming from the amp anyway, isn't it? So it doesn't matter.

I'm amp drive only 99% of the time. It would matter if I used OD pedals more often. I don't want to wah into an OD. I want OD before the wah, so wah after OD would be the way to go. And I like to wah lefty anyway, so it works out.

And really, my wah has a boost built in anyway, so I don't need to OD and Wah. I have my wah set so when I work it the boost is automatic. Wah/OD in one.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:28 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:18 am

I'm amp drive only 99% of the time. It would matter if I used OD pedals more often. I don't want to wah into an OD. I want OD before the wah, so wah after OD would be the way to go. And I like to wah lefty anyway, so it works out.

And really, my wah has a boost built in anyway, so I don't need to OD and Wah. I have my wah set so when I work it the boost is automatic. Wah/OD in one.
Ah, I Wah into my Super OD - but then my super OD is pretty much always on.