NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

Post by Greg_L »

That's definitely one effect not used much anymore.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I don't think it was actually used that much ever really. It seems more like one of them things that everyone knows about and knows the records its been used on but its hardly a wahwah pedal is it?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:24 am I don't think it was actually used that much ever really. It seems more like one of them things that everyone knows about and knows the records its been used on but its hardly a wahwah pedal is it?
I only know of one on that dumb Bon Jovi song. I know everyone associates the talkbox with Frampton, but I've never purposefully listened to Frampton so I don't know how he used it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I can only think of Bon Jovi and Man In A Box by Alice In Chains.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

A talkbox isn't used very much, but it's one of those effects that can't be made any other way that I'm aware of...Guitar Rig has a "talk wah", which is ok as a different sounding wah, but doesn't really sound like a talkbox IMO...

The MXR I bought is kinda pricey, but it's about the cheapest one I could find, a first version Rocktron Banshee used to be about the same price, but I could only find the Banshee II, which is about $250 new...

I could've bought used pedal with a new tube (I don't think I'd put a used tube anywhere near my mouth), but most of the used pedals weren't that much cheaper, plus I have a warranty with a new one...

The only other pedals I'm even remotely interested in is a Tubescreamer, an A/B/Y or stereo pedal of some kind to use both amps at once, & another uni-vibe pedal...I have a Danelectro vibe, but it's not much better than using software in the daw, so eventually I hope to find a better one...I could kill 2 birds with one stone with a stereo uni-vibe...

This will be on down the road though as I've hit the savings jar pretty fuckin' hard the last week or two... :biggrin:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Wasn't it on Rocky Mountain Way? That's what I remember it from (I think) - and the Bald Eagle (Frampton) - and of course Bon Jovi.

Tell you what I've been hearing pop up here and there lately - not a guitar thing - that sort of vocodery sound on vocals. Really "dating" sort of a sound.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Talk box..."Rocky Mountain way", "Hair of the Dog", "Living On a Prayer", "Man In a Box", "Every Frampton song". I'm sure there are many others.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Just picked this up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

any good?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

liv_rong wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:16 pm Just picked this up.
Ooo. I'd like a review on that
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

It was just released and was on sale last Friday so I picked it up. Just got it delivered won’t get a chance to try it until tomorrow.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I'm curious too .... I got an email about it .... haven't read any reviews yet
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Ok so I spent a few minutes with it and my initial impression is it seems a little bright. Now that doesn’t mean much because I use a lot of deep, dark and rich sounding verbs so this will be a good compliment to my current sounds. A little back story, I got the Strymon Blue Sky for my “normal” reverb sounds but found I was using it more with its extreme settings. That’s cool and works great for that but I already use the Afterneath and Avalanche Run for those sounds so the Blue Sky seemed a little spendy and unnecessary to use for more simpler sounds. So I sold it and kind of decided I’d figure it out later, maybe give the Digitech Polara a try since I really liked the Obscura I had(got in a trade and sold due to its redundancy in my rig). So a month or so goes by and I start playing with the spring verb on my amp which sounds ok but is really short and limiting and then this pedal comes along. I saw it and listened and thought it would fit the hole I was missing and since it was on sale I sprung on it. I need more time with it but so far I like it.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

So I did get a fuzz and so far I like it. See tone thread for a sound.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

That green does not match that red.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

rammer24 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:54 pm That green does not match that red.
It doesn’t at all
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Well, I've bought a drum kit, and now Santa has seen fit to send me a pair of Zildjian A Custom 14" Hi-hats to buy on one of my local for sale groups. I'll have to dip into the redundancy fund but I finish paying for my van in two months. :cool: :chillin :coolstorybro:
Haggard Musician :mad:
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

I bought my teenage son a couple pedals for Xmas:

- TC Electronic "Echobrain" delay

- MXR "Prime Distortion"

GC had a sale a while ago where I got each for $40, so "not bad" I think. Plus, they're his "first"-ever pedals, and I figured a delay would be a great starting point for any future F/X he might want to add. To get much use out of the distortion pedal he'll need to upgrade to more than the 8" practice amp he's got, but he can save up for that himself...might give him a goal to reach for.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's cool. I only started working out what pedals and amp I want about 3 years ago
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I think I'm gonna order this
I'll hook it up to those two Warehouse speaker 8" I got last month;

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i ... %20100-500