NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Minerman

Re: NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:50 am I did buy a new piece of gear last week, but it's not musical. Well, it sort of is. More rhythmic. Percussive. It goes rat-a-tat-a-tat. Leaves holes in things.
Nice dude, a few months ago I added another party popper to my little collection too...While I'm not big on 'em like some folks, this day & time they're almost a necessity with the fuckin' nuts that are runnin' around out there...I can only imagine how it is for you being so close to a major city like you do...Stay safe dude...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'm not going be one of these guys that does Ed Sheran songs in the pub with a looper - I just think it would be handy and fun for generating ideas when I'm away from home. Its my Birthday in just over a week too :)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:50 am I did buy a new piece of gear last week, but it's not musical. Well, it sort of is. More rhythmic. Percussive. It goes rat-a-tat-a-tat. Leaves holes in things.
Wood pecker?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Minerman wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:03 am GAS is slowly creeping in on me again guys...I've got a little $$$ put away I'd planned on putting toward drum shells, mesh heads & doing the acoustic to electric conversion thing, but after thinking about it, I'm just gonna play the kit(s) :biggrin: I already have & buy something else...The drums I'd be buying are only changing the look, they really wouldn't benefit anything except give me a larger area to whack with the sticks...A big downside for me is they'd take up more space, space that I'm running out of...Eventually I'll be in another house, but I can't say for certain when that's gonna happen...I already have 3 modules with enough pads/cymbals to have a ridiculous setup, so I think I'm just gonna play what I have & do the best I can with it...There isn't a single piece of gear that will improve my skills, I just need to roll up my sleeves & get on with it...

The little EVH LBX is a great little amp, but I really miss the tones from the Ceriatone amp I had, so I may splurge on an amp...I'm not 100% sure that's what I'm gonna do, because there's all kinds of gear I'd love to have, but I can say I was happiest with my guitar tones more consistently using the Ceriatone than with any other amp I've had...The EVH LBX is close, but it's still not quite there...Plus, I have the EVH 4x12 now too, which would most likely sound fuckin' great with a Ceriatone pushing it, the 'Bastard' cab did, so I'm sure the EVH cab would rock too...

I'm not gonna jump on anything before thinking it out, but I'll let you guys know what I decide... :minernuggs:
You're the Terry Bozio of electronic drumkits Miner... :minernuggs: :biggrin:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:38 am I quite fancy a looper pedal - think it would be quite nice to have during the week.
Careful. You'll be wanting an acoustic guitar as well soon... :lollers2:

I have an RC50 which I no longer remember how to operate. I guess if I go live again I'll have to work it out.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:45 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:38 am I quite fancy a looper pedal - think it would be quite nice to have during the week.
Careful. You'll be wanting an acoustic guitar as well soon... :lollers2:

I have an RC50 which I no longer remember how to operate. I guess if I go live again I'll have to work it out.
haha, I do have a nice acoustic - I even record it sometimes... unlike Greg I don't think of it as some mark of shame!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:47 am
haha, I do have a nice acoustic - I even record it sometimes... unlike Greg I don't think of it as some mark of shame!
I recorded mine on two different songs just a few months ago. And I'm about to do a cover with a little acoustic in it. That's three acoustic sessions in the same year. That'll be the most I've ever used it in one calendar year.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:51 am I'm not going be one of these guys that does Ed Sheran songs in the pub with a looper - I just think it would be handy and fun for generating ideas when I'm away from home. Its my Birthday in just over a week too :)
I don't understand the Ed thing: the look, the sound, the songs, the hubris - they all leave me a 60 year old man who likes music with rocks in. Bad beards and whimpiness do seem to tbe the prevailing trend for the last half decade though.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:13 am
I don't understand the Ed thing: the look, the sound, the songs, the hubris - they all leave me a 60 year old man who likes music with rocks in. Bad beards and whimpiness do seem to tbe the prevailing trend for the last half decade though.
I've never heard an Ed Sheeran song. I thought he was a character from a Harry Potter movie.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:17 am
rayc wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:13 am
I've never heard an Ed Sheeran song. I thought he was a character from a Harry Potter movie.
I don't think I've heard more than 10 seconds or , at most, the time it takes to get to the source and change channel/disc/platter/etc.
It's sounds Ginger, thining hair, bad beard and acoustic guitar from my limited exposure.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:48 am
I don't think I've heard more than 10 seconds or , at most, the time it takes to get to the source and change channel/disc/platter/etc.
It's sounds Ginger, thining hair, bad beard and acoustic guitar from my limited exposure.
Hmm, I think I'll pass.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

It's probably a personal thing...but I bought a looper a few years back (the Pigtronix one)...tried using it a few times and just never thought much of it.
It was interesting and fun for about an hour each time...and got boring after that...I mean, it just loops, and loops. :D
The original plan was to use it for some gig purpose, but not that boring fucking acoustic guitar shtick that almost everyone with a looper ends up doing...rather I wanted to use it with the electric guitar, and maybe add some drums to the loops, since it was easy to USB the looper to my DAW and copy drum tracks over...and then I realized that would just end up being like the other guys who play solo with a bunch of backing tracks.
I kinda backed off from either of those two ideas very quickly. :P

Then I thought it would be fun just use it for jamming...but quickly realized it was more fun to just grab some canned backing tracks, and jam to them. :chillin

So I sold it last fall after watching it sit on the shelf for about 3 years...and I haven't given it another thought until this post.

Oh...Sheeran does mostly "chick" songs...if you hear one, you've heard them all.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, i don't think I'll get a great deal of use out of it at home where I have a computer and all my gear. might be handy in the week though where I don't have any of that.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:25 am Yeah, i don't think I'll get a great deal of use out of it at home where I have a computer and all my gear. might be handy in the week though where I don't have any of that.
For as much as you want to be a spandex shredder, a looper is a great idea. Play your backing riff, loop it, and wank on top till your fingers bleed. :metal:
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:30 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:25 am Yeah, i don't think I'll get a great deal of use out of it at home where I have a computer and all my gear. might be handy in the week though where I don't have any of that.
For as much as you want to be a spandex shredder, a looper is a great idea. Play your backing riff, loop it, and wank on top till your fingers bleed. :metal:
Isnt that what drumbers and bass players are for...?
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Loopers are great for me for coming up with ideas or just messing around. Good times. Fun for ambient stuff.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Armistice wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:43 am You're the Terry Bozio of electronic drumkits Miner... :minernuggs: :biggrin:
Well dude, if my skills matched the amount of e-kit gear I have, everything would be ok... :minernuggs:

On the new amp thing, this ain't new, but I'd love to have it:
1986 50w un-modded Marshall 2204 head

There ain't no way I could use that thing where I live now though, that's why I'm probably gonna buy a Ceriatone...

I miss some of the tones the DSL100H had, so I'd considered getting a used DSL 15H, then doing some mods to it, and/or drop the gain on the red channel with tubes like I did with the EVH amp...But for just a little more $$$, I could get a new 20w Ceriatone JCM clone, which would most likely be very similar to the Chupacabra I had, just in a smaller, slightly lower volume package, so I'm back to Ceriatone...

I'm still considering building another ISO cab too, but space is becoming an issue, so I need to sort a few other things out before I even consider doing this again...

Something else I could use is a better bass...The pawn-shop special has been pretty good for the amount of $$$ I've got in it, but Jdude's clips of his new bass sound great IMO, so that's something else I could actually use too...

Lotsa shit on my list, just getting 'em prioritized is a big hurdle for me... :lol:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Young Frank tells me that he's totted up his exam scores for this year and although it's not yet official he appears to have got himself an overall First! :drums: :smug:

It occurs to me that he's still using the same hi-hat stand that we bought him when he was four, so I bought him a Tama Iron Cobra HH905n Leverglide, today. :smiles:

Last edited by Bubba on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Nice stand! But is that thing bent, or is it just the pic?
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:27 pm Nice stand! But is that thing bent, or is it just the pic?
It does look bent, but fortunately that's a stock pic! :biggrin:

I'm going to pick the stand up next week. :coolstorybro:
Haggard Musician :mad: