NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

Post by JD01 »

First... excellent. Well done to him..
rayc

Post by rayc »

I was asked to have a pre work cuppa with friends/former colleagues this morning. At the cafe I was asked to front up at school on my way home. It was a computer issue and the new co-ordinators didn't know how to deal with it.
I was ambushed with a school assembly, farewell cards & gift.
The staff of the small school of 9 classes gave me a Fender Squire Mustang. Squire gear is prohibitively expensive in Oz so my socks were knocked off - I'd been contemplating buying a AUS$250 MIC no name "Grungemaster" guitar at some stage this year but have been umming an ahing about the cost relative to my need & skill and now I have one of these...
mustang.jpg
I feel a little embarrassed but chuffed also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Awesome Ray! I couldn't understand you Aussie slang in the first part of your post, but it seems you got a gift. Very cool!
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Awesome man .... do I take it you're retiring?

Regardless ..... how awesome that they care about you that much.
bet it choked you up a little huh?
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:16 am Awesome Ray! I couldn't understand you Aussie slang in the first part of your post, but it seems you got a gift. Very cool!
Greg,
Cuppa? Oh, cup of tea or coffee.
Yeah nice.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:54 am Awesome man .... do I take it you're retiring?

Regardless ..... how awesome that they care about you that much.
bet it choked you up a little huh?
Lt. Bob,
I'm on Long Service Leave pending retirement.
After 10 years service we get 2 months additional leave at normal pay which we can take straight away or use at need. After that we get a couple of weeks each year. I didn't take much of the leave during the time so it accrued giving me, ultimately, about 15 months of leave to burn before retiring OR I could cash it in BUT cashing it in means it gets heavily taxed. Better for me to use it up & catch 2 pay rises in the process before hitting my retirement and superannuation.
Yes, I was choked - particularly when they allowed any kids who cared to an opportunity to say goodbye 1:1.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:21 am
Lt. Bob,
I'm on Long Service Leave pending retirement.
After 10 years service we get 2 months additional leave at normal pay which we can take straight away or use at need. After that we get a couple of weeks each year. I didn't take much of the leave during the time so it accrued giving me, ultimately, about 15 months of leave to burn before retiring OR I could cash it in BUT cashing it in means it gets heavily taxed. Better for me to use it up & catch 2 pay rises in the process before hitting my retirement and superannuation.
Yes, I was choked - particularly when they allowed any kids who cared to an opportunity to say goodbye 1:1.
Wow, so you have over a year off paid? Very nice!
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's fucking cool, ray! Good stuff. Looking forward to hearing how that thing plays and sounds,
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Damn that's awesome!

In other news the EP Booster is great. I A/B'd it against the Soul Food which I have been using as a clean boost and the EP sounds better to my ears. It just sounds richer and does ass a little more low end in a good way. I should add that this amp reacts really well being pushed up front, something the Blackstar couldn't do. I think it's because the Blackstar has some sort of hybrid solid stage amplification in there somewhere, well I know it does, I just don't know how it works exactly. But the Mesa I can get low gain by just cranking the output on my guitar, breaks up really nice. And with the EP just on the clean channel and bridge pickup I can get a really nice sounding medium crunch/gain sound. Pretty fucking cool. I could never do that with the Blackstar, it seemed to just reach a point of saturation and stop but even on the clean channel I couldn't push it like I can this.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Knew you'd like the EP.

What Mesa? Did I miss you getting a Mesa/

I have two of them ..... I'm a Mesa guy.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:54 am Damn that's awesome!

In other news the EP Booster is great. I A/B'd it against the Soul Food which I have been using as a clean boost and the EP sounds better to my ears. It just sounds richer and does ass a little more low end in a good way. I should add that this amp reacts really well being pushed up front, something the Blackstar couldn't do. I think it's because the Blackstar has some sort of hybrid solid stage amplification in there somewhere, well I know it does, I just don't know how it works exactly. But the Mesa I can get low gain by just cranking the output on my guitar, breaks up really nice. And with the EP just on the clean channel and bridge pickup I can get a really nice sounding medium crunch/gain sound. Pretty fucking cool. I could never do that with the Blackstar, it seemed to just reach a point of saturation and stop but even on the clean channel I couldn't push it like I can this.
Man that sucks. I was hoping you'd hate it then I could buy it off you for a steal. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Nice, rayc! That's really cool that the students got to show their appreciation.

And liv_rong, sounds like the Mesa was a good choice. You listening, JD? :D

The only new gear I've bought recently is a Mastery bridge for my Jazzmaster. I noticed that an adjustment screw went missing during the move, and I didn't want to lose more parts to a 52 year old instrument. So I'm putting in the Mastery, which is a drop-in replacement. I got the thing a week ago and I want to make a video of installing it. But opportunity hasn't arisen to have a nice quiet house in which to record. Maybe this weekend?
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Congrats on the 'stang rayc! And on earning that kind of respect and affection from your peers!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:30 am Knew you'd like the EP.

What Mesa? Did I miss you getting a Mesa/

I have two of them ..... I'm a Mesa guy.
Yeah I got a Mark V:25. Love it!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

way cool!

That's my next one .... either that or the Mark V 35

I have a regular Mark V and a Blue Angel.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:12 pm Nice, rayc! That's really cool that the students got to show their appreciation.

And liv_rong, sounds like the Mesa was a good choice. You listening, JD? :D

The only new gear I've bought recently is a Mastery bridge for my Jazzmaster. I noticed that an adjustment screw went missing during the move, and I didn't want to lose more parts to a 52 year old instrument. So I'm putting in the Mastery, which is a drop-in replacement. I got the thing a week ago and I want to make a video of installing it. But opportunity hasn't arisen to have a nice quiet house in which to record. Maybe this weekend?
Would love one... it's all about the cash... a cab to plug it into is next on the list.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:12 pm Nice, rayc! That's really cool that the students got to show their appreciation.
Tad,
The gift was from the staff at the school.
It even has a little plaque on it: Let the good times roll...
The kids were personal conversations, hand shakes & a card which is VERY cool indeed.
Cheers
rayc
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rayc wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:09 pm The gift was from the staff at the school.
It even has a little plaque on it: Let the good times roll...
The kids were personal conversations, hand shakes & a card which is VERY cool indeed.
Congrats on the new guitar Ray, plus an even bigger congrats for all the years you kept your nose to the grind, & getting paid for the time you're off...You've definitely earned it, & you've obviously made a difference in a lot of people's lives...
The world would be a better place with more folks like you... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:57 pm
Congrats on the new guitar Ray, plus an even bigger congrats for all the years you kept your nose to the grind, & getting paid for the time you're off...You've definitely earned it, & you've obviously made a difference in a lot of people's lives...
The world would be a better place with more folks like you... :minernuggs:
Yes indeed! Hip--hip-hooRAY!
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Thanks Minerman,
I had a brief chance to plug in around midday. The thing is LOUD. The vol pot is really good proper gradation from silence through to screaming. I'm used to vol pots not actually doing anything for the 1st 90 degrees of revolution. It may be the pot or the amount of signal from the pickups I suppose. The tone pot is pretty smooth too.
The model is Fender Squire Bullet Mustang & is made in Indonesia. Fender MIA, MIM, MIK, MIC & MII???
22 frets so slighty shorter than the 24 and medium jumbo frets, (that'll take some getting used to my claw chording will have to back off a little or I'll get out of tune every time). The finish is fabulous - metal flake/sparkle deep blue. It's amazingly cheap in the U.S. at about US$150 but retails in Oz for $349 (the receipt was on the warranty & 2 x free set up voucher).
So far it's a case of what's not to like.
Cheers
rayc